cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help in Purchasing Class A Motorhome

PaulnAnn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we currently have a 5th wheel since 2012 but would like to do more traveling and therefore move to a Class A motorhome.

What we like so far is the Forest River Georgetown XL but we're just starting our research and it would be great for recommendations to assist in our search. Are there any brands that are offering incentives or promotions we're unaware of? We're also looking for RV shows but it seems they've been canceled due to Covid.

Thank you!
We look forward to meeting other like-minded people. We would love to travel and work from our RV. Hoping to make this happen one day.

Our Rig:
2011 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4
2012 5Th Wheel Alpine 3600RS
10 REPLIES 10

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 12 Georgetown. We bought it used last year. We have had no issues. And the previous owner had very minor warranty issue (we have all the paper work). My buddy has a 17 Fleetwood Bounder and it has had its share of issues. Mostly the way it's built (thrown together). I walked through a new Georgetown and wasn't impressed with the build quality in it either. Whatever you end up going with I think you will have some issues with it. That's just how these things are made.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
Forest River products are almost as bad as Thor products, and that's really bad.

Forest River and Thor Industries (including all their subsidiaries) together account for a little more than 80% of the North American RV industry.

tevans226
Explorer
Explorer
we have had a pop up, a bumper pull, and 2 fifth wheels. I currently have a 5th wheel and we are about to do the same thing. we want to upgrade to a motorhome. all the bad reviews of georgetown and Thor sting because that's what we have been looking at. we have kind of settled in on a new 2019 Thor based on price. it offers what we want in acoach, however the price is set to get it moved off the lot. I would love to go to a Tiffin grade coach but my budget won't allow. the only thing I was really looking into was trying to get the 22.5 tires for a better ride ( so I'm told) and the bigger storage bays under the coach. but if your on a budget like us, I like the thor better than the Georgetown.... just an opinion from a simple man
Thin Blue Swine BBQ Competition Cooking Team
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL 5er
2010 Pullrite Superglide Auto Slider
2014 Stumps "Stumpster" VBP cooker
Security: Bentley, 7 year old wiener dog
Head Cook at Thin Blue Swine Competition BBQ

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Overall, Georgetown reviews have not been good for the product. Realize that it is a lower end MH, as far s the coach portion goes. I have had a FR 5th wheel and Sunseeker MBS - I would not buy a FR product again.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a gas motor home, I'd suggest going with Newmar or Tiffin or possibly one of the better Winnebago models.

Of course, when buying used, it's all about condition and service records. We bought our Bay Star in 2018 and in our search, so many of the used rigs were in need of repairs, extensive remodeling, etc. We started out thinking of finding something in the 2005-2008 range, but after looking, we increased our budget and went with a 2012 Bay Star. If you look carefully, you'll see the difference between the different makes. I'm sure we could have been equally happy with a Tiffin or the right Winnebago/Itasca. Having looked at some of the newer, less expensive Winnebago rigs, I wouldn't buy them. They've cut a lot of corners to make them lower priced, and I think you're better off buying a higher quality rig, even if it is a little older.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Shop hard, the deal y'all are looking for is out there.
My experience has been to buy used, but carefully. After a few years, original owners have worked out the kinks in their new rigs, and taken the brunt of depreciation.
We've been fortunate, as out first used rig was nine years old when we bought it, and we had it for 12 more years (ending when Hurricane Micheal dropped two pines on it). We found our second one, we are the third owners again, and all the systems were in excellent shape.
As a veteran RV owner, you know what to look for. Now you need to add a little expertise on Class A engines and suspensions, and you're there.
FWIW, we discovered our current rig on RV Traders.
Hope this helps, and remember, this is fun!
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River products are almost as bad as Thor products, and that's really bad.

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Forest River product-Never Again

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
do a google on forest river reviews , do a lot of looking before you sign.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Whatever Motorhome brand you buy just make sure that you have a qualified dealer nearby that can repair and maintain not only the Chassis components but the RV Coach fixtures, structure, appliances, as well. Over the years we have found access to parts and such by non certified dealers to be an issue in Canada.
For example, we have a Winnebago brand Motorhome on a GM Workhorse chassis.
For Chassis repairs and maintenance we have a certified Workhorse chassis shop about 45 minutes away.
For RV Coach related item repairs and maintenance, we have a certified Winnebago dealer about an hour away.
Also, I would strongly suggest that whatever Motorhome you purchase, make sure it has full body paint and not just tinted gel coat with vinyl graphics. Full body paint will keep the MH looking like new for years to come. Tinted gel coat and graphics will fade and crack and look old in just a few years.
2010 Suncruiser