cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entry door latch broke!

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
This am when DH went outside with dog the door latch wouldn’t let him back in. I had to open from inside. In a little bit when it warms up I guess we’ll take things apart. My question is, could this be something we can fix? Or this this probably something that require a new latch?
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
11 REPLIES 11

MrWizard
Last year I replaced mine, when it started giving me problems
Got lucky and replaced it before I had to break into my own place
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Must be a Tri-Mark.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had 2 of them break, the part that broke on both, was the "bolt", as others said, they're made of cheap pot metal.
If a machinest bought one then copied the bolt & made them out of steel, he'd probably get rich.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Leave a window unlocked instead. It can be slid open and a small person can get in and open the door from inside.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. We took it all apart and lubed everything. Can’t find anything that is broke but it seems more like adjustment. Played a bunch with it and finally got it where the latch is working from both inside and outside. Don’t know how long it’ll last. Will make sure to always leave a door unlocked I guess. Lol
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

Mine broke on my TT once.

Being Mr. Fixit, I took it apart to see if I could repair it. All cheap pot metal in there, basically junk and not worth the effort to repair.

I bought a whole new assembly and installed it. Didn't cost very much and an easy swap. Saved a lot of time too.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I read ond case where the writer, being a metal worker, made a steel copy of the cam, and replaced the original. That is the only fix I have ever heard of. My rule is to always leave a window unlocked, so someone can get inside to unlock, and replace the lock. Otherwise, you have a broken window to repair also.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The cams are made of pot metal....cheap. They wear out relatively fast, no matter what you do. There is no fixing them.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had one break and ended up replacing the the whole thing. They are not all that expensive. It’s a good thing you were inside to open the door.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We have never had latch problems BUT we never slam the door. Instead we pull on the handle as if to open the door, close the door, release the latch, and push on the door until it clicks.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fix is to replace the entire latch assembly. I haven't had much luck finding parts to repair maybe someone else has.

In nine years I'm on my third door latch with the original counted as #1.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53