cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing without WD hitch

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with a max towing of 11,447 lbs and I'm looking to tow a 25ft toy hauler with a hitch weight of 790lbs and overall weight of 5,100 lbs.

I found the camper about 125 mi away and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I didn't have a chance to pick up a WD hitch yet and I'm planning on towing the unit back tomorrow without one. I know it won't be fun and my truck will be squatting a good bit. Would loading a motorcycle in the trailer help with the tongue weight?

Not looking for the weight police, just some that may have had experience with this similar set up and situation.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
17 REPLIES 17

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
I would not believe posted weights as they have been wrong in my experience. Towing without the W/D hitch is possible and I did it once when the trunion bar pin failed. I was doing an 03 Ram 2500 pulling a 36' TH with 4 ATVs in it. We pulled over two passes and one had light snow on the ground. Lots of pissed off people behind me as I was going very slow and careful. Never got near anyone in front of me and stopped several times to look the system over.

I just wanted to say from experience it can be done but, highly not recommended. Slow is the key.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
davisenvy wrote:
Class IV hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 1000 lbs maximum trailer tongue weight (TW). Class IV hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 14,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 1400 lbs.
Reese-Hitches.com โ€บ learning_center
What are the different hitch classes? - Reese-Hitches.com | Trailer Hitches

This is where I was getting my information from. Is it Incorrect?
Depends on the specific hitch. I have seen little corelation between Classes of hitches and ratings over the years... Whatever is stated on YOUR reciever hitch is the rating.... And that is not always what the truck is rated for... The lowest rated item in the system is the limit.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 07 Dodge Ram 1500 and an 07 Toy hauler. Dry weight 5,700 loaded 7,200 along with air bags and the Weight Distribution Hitch it's a perfect match.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
Class IV hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 1000 lbs maximum trailer tongue weight (TW). Class IV hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 14,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 1400 lbs.
Reese-Hitches.com โ€บ learning_center
What are the different hitch classes? - Reese-Hitches.com | Trailer Hitches

This is where I was getting my information from. Is it Incorrect?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
davisenvy wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
samsontdog wrote:
If it was me I would hitch up and take it home. I t will be empty. Back in the 50 and 60s we never had WD or the adjustably hitch head. I towed thousands of miles with no problems. I don't now
No toy haulers back then. Big difference.
An empty TH can have a super high TW... A buddy had one that was close to 2000# empty! That is asking a lot of the reciever and ball.

But the TW is 790 lbs, not 2,000 lbs. Is 790 asking a lot of a Class IV hitch with a Husky WD?

I sold the 2006 Duramax for a 2016 Cummins. Sold the Cummins for my current truck because I really liked the truck and though the TT days were behind me. The DW convinced me otherwise and here I am looking at 1/2 ton towable toy haulers.

Couple of points. You stated 790#. This figure may or may not be correct. Don't know where you got that from.... But unless it was scaled, it is suspect.

But even if it is accurate...... The question was towing it WITHOUT WD.... In which case , yes you would more than likely be over the hitch rating by a large margin.... Then Samson, who I was responding to pops off about how he never wooried about wieghts in the old days... I guess if one is towing with a tractor, one can just hook her up and give it a go.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
samsontdog wrote:
If it was me I would hitch up and take it home. I t will be empty. Back in the 50 and 60s we never had WD or the adjustably hitch head. I towed thousands of miles with no problems. I don't now
An empty TH can have a super high TW... A buddy had one that was close to 2000# empty! That is asking a lot of the reciever and ball.

But the TW is 790 lbs, not 2,000 lbs. Is 790 asking a lot of a Class IV hitch with a Husky WD?

I sold the 2006 Duramax for a 2016 Cummins. Sold the Cummins for my current truck because I really liked the truck and though the TT days were behind me. The DW convinced me otherwise and here I am looking at 1/2 ton towable toy haulers.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
davisenvy wrote:
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with a max towing of 11,447 lbs and I'm looking to tow a 25ft toy hauler with a hitch weight of 790lbs and overall weight of 5,100 lbs.

I found the camper about 125 mi away and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I didn't have a chance to pick up a WD hitch yet and I'm planning on towing the unit back tomorrow without one. I know it won't be fun and my truck will be squatting a good bit. Would loading a motorcycle in the trailer help with the tongue weight?

Not looking for the weight police, just some that may have had experience with this similar set up and situation.

Well sorry the current buy of the 25'TH fell through, but my big question would be why the step down in tow vehicles. If you didn't want a new diesel why not a 2500 6.4 gas Ram?
125 miles is a bit of distance if it has handling issues.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
Well I was able to find a WD hitch and go get the camper. The owner failed to mention there was severe dry rot on all 4 tires, so I left it there and drove back home empty handed. Not the first time I've driven long distances to see a vehicle misrepresented. This is exactly why I purchased all of my previous campers new. I just don't have time for all of the wild goose chases.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Pump the rear P tires to max sidewall and go get the trailer.
When pulling any bumper pull trailer, or any GN/pintle hitch/5th wheel hitch trailer, for the first time I do some low speed steering wheel moves to see if it has any tail waggin' the dog issues. Then as I increase speed and do it several more times till I know how the trailer will react.

If it has a tendency to wag a bit I keep my speed below that point.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog:o:W

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If your hitch is rated for weight bearing to match the tongue weight I see no problem. I'm quite certain your truck would have enough payload to handle that tongue weight unless you've got it loaded down with a topper, toolbox, or other accessories. Your tongue weight should be well over 10% of the trailer weight so no problem there.
If your hitch is only rated 500 pounds weight carrying then you will be over that limit which would worry me a bit.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
What does your hitch say as far as limits? I'm glad you're not near my loves ones.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I hope it works out for you. It's not a risk that I would take. Why not just buy the WD hitch before you try to tow your new trailer home?
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.