cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inverter to AC outlet!!

Powts
Explorer
Explorer
So I just purchased a GoPower 700W pure sine wave inverter plus all the install goodies for our TT. The install looks like a piece of cake BUT my wife would like to have 2 outlets in the trailer that run off the inverter to charge phones, laptops, and run the TV. The inverter has 2 gfci plugs but she wants 2 outlets IN the trailer wired up. Can someone, anyone, show me how to do this?! I have no idea what I need to do. Judging by what I've ordered, I've got enough cable to run the lines from the battery banks to a 200 amp fuse to the inverter. I've also ordered a remote for the inverter but that's more of a phone line type wire. How do I charge up 2 outlets in the trailer from the inverter?? I'm lost!!
13 REPLIES 13

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Probably the first thing you need to figure out is how you would get the wire to the outlets. The inverter should be near the batteries.

You could also possibly drop the wire straight down through the floor and back up where you want the outlet. but you still need to protect the wire under the trailer.

All of which is illustrated in my own inverter installation detailed 2 posts earlier. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Probably the first thing you need to figure out is how you would get the wire to the outlets. The inverter should be near the batteries. Are the outlets close to the inverter or 20 feet away. Is there a solid progression of cabinets from the inverter to the proposed outlet to hide wire in? Or are you hoping to add the outlets to an exterior wall?

If you're thinking about exterior walls it might be easiest to run surface mount outlets and and channeling. This would hopefully limit the amount of holes to drill.
Link
Link
Link
You would also have to buy the wire to go inside the channels.

You could also possibly drop the wire straight down through the floor and back up where you want the outlet. but you still need to protect the wire under the trailer.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've used the extension cord method to get power to other spots. I used a cord that was close to the same color as my interior trim and then ran it along side the bottom a cabinet and stapled it in place with some with some wire staples that I spray painted the right color. It didn't look to tacky but, then again I'm a Caveman.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Powts wrote:
So I just purchased a GoPower 700W pure sine wave inverter plus all the install goodies for our TT.

Initially I powered our trailer "whole house" by simply turning off the converter and plugging the trailer's main service cable into one of the inverter's 120 vac outlets. I later refined this by installing receptacles dedicated to the inverter output alone - one outside, duplex receptacles on each side of the bed, and another at the galley. I mounted the remote in one of the bedside cabinets so if we lost shore power for some reason I could just turn the inverter on without even getting out of bed and the 4 receptacles would be powered. Pics start here, click on "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

Inverter Wiring
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The cheapest way is just run extension cord to the place where you want the power.
Next step would be running hardwire from inverter plug into additional wall duplex. New era duplex come with USB outlets as option, what solves several issues.
You mark the duplex "inverter" and all you have to do is remember that when you plug shore power.
The best is transfer switch, with converter rewired to shore power connectors.
Similar best option is buying converter/charger with transfer switch built in. That also will give you better converter, than TC manufacturers put into those units.

Carvhors
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I've done with success:

Turn off the breakers to the converter, microwave, and AC.

Install the 30amp-to-110 dogbone to the umbilical line and plug that into one of the outlets on the inverter.

This will provide 110 power to all of the outlets in the rig. I turn off the AC and microwave breakers just so they aren't accidently turned on when on battery power. The converter also needs to be turned off because you don't want to be using battery power to backfeed into into your battery(ies). Basically, you don't want to use your battery to charge your battery. Not a good thing.

I've done numerous times with zero issues. It's basically the same as running separate outlets that plug directly into the inverter. You still need to be aware of the amperage usage of whatever your plugging into the outlets so as to not drain your battery bank.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
A transfer switch will work. But consider using it with a sub panel so that the fridge, water heater, and converter are not going to be powered. I think that I'd want a larger inverter than 700 watts if I went with the sub panel and transfer switch.

The "work around" is to manually switch these items. If the batteries are hungry and the converter is left on, the fuse for the inverter will blow. Similarly for the water heater.

That is why I prefer the idea of dedicated outlets when the choice is a small wattage inverter.

I deliberately added a dedicated inverter outlet in the kitchen area. As I have a large inverter, it gives me extra power when on shore power and means I can tun the induction cooker, and another high wattage device.

With just the 700 watts, my coffee maker could be run.

we are on the same page. I'd rather rely on my sub panel to control what is powered than my absent minded brain.! In my case the microwave and two 120V outlet circuits are on the subpanel from the inverter, keeps me from trying to run AC, have the fridge on AC accidentally, HWH etc. etc.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
A transfer switch will work. But consider using it with a sub panel so that the fridge, water heater, and converter are not going to be powered. I think that I'd want a larger inverter than 700 watts if I went with the sub panel and transfer switch.

The "work around" is to manually switch these items. If the batteries are hungry and the converter is left on, the fuse for the inverter will blow. Similarly for the water heater.

That is why I prefer the idea of dedicated outlets when the choice is a small wattage inverter.

I deliberately added a dedicated inverter outlet in the kitchen area. As I have a large inverter, it gives me extra power when on shore power and means I can tun the induction cooker, and another high wattage device.

With just the 700 watts, my coffee maker could be run.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
transfer switch is IMHO one of the better if not the best solution. In fact if you have the (in)famous WFCO charger system, there is a transfer switch made to attach to the back of it. then put a subpanel next to the switch for the outlets to run off shore and transfer power. Did that in my trailer and have it set so that only the microwave, and the outlets run off the transfer switch. That way can't accidentally try to run the fridge, charger, AC etc. off the battery bank inverter. Inverter is in the pass through close to the batteries and a remote power switch for the inverter is in the trailer for easy access to power on/off.

I did need to run power cable from the inverter up to the power panel in the trailer to the transfer switch.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Also, for charging devices using USB, using 12V adapters is more efficient than using an inverter to power 120v power adapters.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to power the existing outlets you will need a small transfer switch.

https://www.donrowe.com/KISAE-TS15A-Automatic-Transfer-Switch $50

Switch is easy. Remove the romex of your choice of branch circuit from the breaker panel and connect to the switch OUTPUT. New piece of romex and reconnect to the breaker panel and connect to the INPUT. Plug the switch into the inverter and you are good to go.

If the fridge is on the circuit you choose you will need to set it to propane only or it will run down your battery very fast.

Inverter close to the battery is best but then you are pulling wire as needed. For just small loads you might be able to mount the inverter behind the breaker panel and supply 12v withe the main battery charging wire. This would put all connections near the breaker panel and just make the connections. No pulling wire through the floor or walls.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Decide where you want the inverter powered outlets to be. Install a female plug. Run wire to the inverter.

plug-->wire-->inverter-->fuse(near battery bank)-->battery bank
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest way is keep the inverter close to the batteries (otherwise youโ€™ll need larger cables). Then install new receptacles wired using an extension cord with the female end cut off. Then plug the male end into the inverter. This will avoid any need for transfer a transfer switch or relay.

The TV is likely already a 12-volt unit. If it is, you can simply remove the transformer power supply and hardwire in the 12-volt lead. This will avoid the loses of stepping up then back down, and modified sine inverter can create noise in A/V equipment.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST