Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: inverter to AC outlet!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> inverter to AC outlet!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powts wrote:

So I just purchased a GoPower 700W pure sine wave inverter plus all the install goodies for our TT.

Initially I powered our trailer "whole house" by simply turning off the converter and plugging the trailer's main service cable into one of the inverter's 120 vac outlets. I later refined this by installing receptacles dedicated to the inverter output alone - one outside, duplex receptacles on each side of the bed, and another at the galley. I mounted the remote in one of the bedside cabinets so if we lost shore power for some reason I could just turn the inverter on without even getting out of bed and the 4 receptacles would be powered. Pics start here, click on "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

Inverter Wiring

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used the extension cord method to get power to other spots. I used a cord that was close to the same color as my interior trim and then ran it along side the bottom a cabinet and stapled it in place with some with some wire staples that I spray painted the right color. It didn't look to tacky but, then again I'm a Caveman.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably the first thing you need to figure out is how you would get the wire to the outlets. The inverter should be near the batteries. Are the outlets close to the inverter or 20 feet away. Is there a solid progression of cabinets from the inverter to the proposed outlet to hide wire in? Or are you hoping to add the outlets to an exterior wall?

If you're thinking about exterior walls it might be easiest to run surface mount outlets and and channeling. This would hopefully limit the amount of holes to drill.
Link
Link
Link
You would also have to buy the wire to go inside the channels.

You could also possibly drop the wire straight down through the floor and back up where you want the outlet. but you still need to protect the wire under the trailer.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Probably the first thing you need to figure out is how you would get the wire to the outlets. The inverter should be near the batteries.

You could also possibly drop the wire straight down through the floor and back up where you want the outlet. but you still need to protect the wire under the trailer.

All of which is illustrated in my own inverter installation detailed 2 posts earlier. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> inverter to AC outlet!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.