Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Internet Cable Connection
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Internet Cable Connection

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we needed to hook up to the local cable internet connection we ran coax from outside into the RV at the bottom corner edge of a slide opening, and to a WiFi Cable modem router just inside. From there the Internet was distributed by the WiFi connection. Optionally, you could place the WiFi cable router outside the RV in a safe place and not need to run any cable into the RV.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When snowbirding in Palm Springs, I subscribe to high-speed internet from Spectrum so I can stream my TV content via an Amazon Fire TV device and Hulu. It is provided via the normal cable TV connection at the site.

The first time I hooked up my router to a TV jack (the one with the amplifier), my internet speeds were very slow and intermittent. The Spectrum tech came out and identified the problem as "noise" being introduced by the amplifier circuitry. He said RV's are notorius for doing this.

The solution was to place the router in a "basement" compartment and connect it directly to the site's cable feed on the post. Works great.

I think that even if you are able to identify and fix the problem with your RV's wiring, the router may not work well when connected to it. Ultimatley, you may have to go with a solution similar to what I did.

Good Luck.

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

momentum rv wrote:

Internet signal through cable will not like going though too many splitters and amp/switch. Try to find a direct connection. Many trailers will have a "SAT" cable run that can be used for direct connection.

Trouble with SAT cabling in that vintage of RV's they hid splitters in the cabling in strange places. Our 2005 5th wheel had one hidden behind a panel in the entertainment center. Our 2017 5th wheel was much better with four sat connections in the UDC, Two from the roof top pre wired sat location and one each to the bedroom and living roof TV locations. A 5th connection in the UDC was for park cable input which is routed to the OTA roof top antenna power supply in the bedroom closet. The back side of the power supply has 1. Cable input from UDC 2. Input from the roof top antenna 3. Cable to the LR TV plus the connection on the front of the power supply for the BR TV.

So one could identify the cable input run from docking station to the power supply and remove it, and connect it to the CABLE MODEM.

BTW our 2019 TT had a splitter hidden in the bedroom wall behind the power supply in the SAT cabling.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

jrhack

Rice Creek RV Park Riverview Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I will let you know what my solution is.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Route your coaxial through a window and connect to modem. This temporary connection to make sure internet connection works.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jrhack

Rice Creek RV Park Riverview Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I took my cable toner and hooked to the cable from the antenna on the roof. I opened the Antenna Amplifier and isolated the cable coming down from the roof. I then put my toner on the cable I think is feeding the entertainment center coax and found it. I took and connected both of those two cables together and I now have internet. The reason I didn't just hook up down below with WiFi is I have to have a hard-connection for my work computer. I can't use WiFi with it.
I no longer have an antenna to use (it wouldn't go up anyway) so I will have to work on that another day.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Internet Cable Connection
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.