cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Retrofitting Roof AC with residential Parts?

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
For those of us who have been around a long while, many of us will remember Professo95.

At one point, I think he took the shell of dometic AC unit (because it was taller if memory serves) and then Macgyvered a residential window AC unit into the footprint of the dometic unit.

I know he did the work - but what was the long term lifspan of the unit?

Has anyone else gone down this path?

I see lots of posts using mini split units with their evaporators inside the RV, but nothing about using either a Mini split and the body of a standard RV unit or a full residential window unit that was retro fit to a RV unit.

My goal is to replace the unit I have now with something that is comparable and more efficient. Mine hasn't failed yet, but after 10 years one wonders how long the unit will last?

Thanks!

josh
10 REPLIES 10

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies -
I was wondering if I could get a quieter AC unit in the same footprint as a coleman/dometic.

It's clear to me that this isn't a project I wanted to undertake - but if I was going full time in the 5er, I would do a Mini split. That would be worth the effort. For my weekends, i'll stick with my existing units.

Oh - if I even thought there was a problem with my existing unit (other than it can't keep up when temps are over 100), I'd replace it long before I thought I needed to replace it.

josh

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
When you have a small RV the available roof airs are too big! I know there is a 9K unit available but has many noise complaints and I cannot tolerate noise. I have never heard a roof air that I would consider acceptable sound wise.

The really sad thing about this is they duct roof airs but leave the motor and fans open to the living area. Simple cheap fix, duct the return air.

In humid areas the larger AC's cycle too much to keep the humidity down enough to be comfortable. Also without spending more money the larger airs will not run DEPENDABLY on a small generator. Yes I know about hard starts and micro air.

So I tried to convert an 8k LG window unit to a roof air. When 95 did his conversion the AC's were configured differently and without extensive mods I could not pull it off. Possibly there are other brands that may be dooable but I cannot spend all my time buying and disassembling AC's. Not a trained AC person but have the tools and take care of my own personal AC units. In hindsight my mistake was trying to utilize existing AC cover and base. If I do again will make the base, inside part and find something to cover it with outside.

So now have the 8k window unit where the rear bathroom window was with a 4E hard start in it and run it off a Honda 2000. This is not a duct tape and bailing wire job. I spent a bit on a proper welded framework to support the genny and AC. If I had room for the evaporator I would have installed a mini a long time ago! A mini modulates, a 9k mini would be perfect as it will modulate between 2k and 11k btu's, they also ramp up which would be perfect for a small gen set. Quiet, energy efficent, who would not want one? I have been running 3 mini splits in my 1300 sq ft house here in FL 24/7 and the electric bill this month is $64.94! Not an overly hot month.

MrWizard
Professor 95
Did modify a small 6000 btu to fit in an RV a/C housing, he did cut and braze the refrigerant lines, but said the project could have been done without doing this

He did it for a very specific reason and purpose
To cool the forward master bedroom of his 5ver at night,
The power came from a huge AGM battery bank install in the bed of his volvo HDT, his favorite camp spots do not have electrical hookups
He would recharge the battery bank during the day via generator
That RV the 5ver was lost in a Fire and has since been replaced
If he ever did a second conversion, I do not know

He did Not use 12k window unit
Only the the 6k for cooling only the bedroom

You might look for him over on the Heavy Duty Tow
Forums

Window A/C conversion thread
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There's always the same "go to" source we use for many other RV items. And free shipping with Prime on many items...

RV Air Conditioners
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Gdetrailer wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

RV A/Cs are not "available" everywhere like Home Depot or Lowes, must buy those at a RV store and unless you live near a huge RV store that carries inventory (most do not stock A/C units) you will have to wait for it to come in or order one and pay shipping plus tax.

Now that Camping World and Gardner are one you can usually find an RV supply within an hour or less. Often 2 or 3 or 4 as there are competitors..

And places like PPL RV and a very long long list of others can ship via Fed Ex for only a slightly greater price. if you really need it tomorrow.. or lower cost often "Free Shipping" in about 5 days.

Though just now it may take longer.

Camping World?

Surely ye jest :E Stupidly high prices, poor customer service and ZERO anywhere around my area.. Might be able to find one with a 8- 10 hr one way drive would be the closest to me.. They are not everywhere, not like Lowes and Home depot I have at least 20 or so of those within 1 hr drive of me..

PPL, yeah, are they not in Texas? Nothing like a 4-5 DAY drive to get there..

Get over it, just because it has "RV" in it does not mean it is the best, most efficient, lowest cost, easy to find..

With a little creativity, other home appliances can be adapted for use in a RV and most likely will work better, last longer and cost less..

Not everything must have "RV" (RV Fridge, RV A/C, RV stereo, RV TV) in the name to work in a RV.

But hey, at least you gave me a chuckle..

I guess you never heard of SHIPPING. I have worked on and repaired RV AC units for 41 years and even in the old days 40 years ago, I replaced Compressor's and any sealed system part and evac'd and recharged them. I would never waste my time trying to adapt a Residential type unit to fit an RV application. I might do it if I had nothing to do for a few weeks, but I have better use for my time. To save at best $200. Doug

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

RV A/Cs are not "available" everywhere like Home Depot or Lowes, must buy those at a RV store and unless you live near a huge RV store that carries inventory (most do not stock A/C units) you will have to wait for it to come in or order one and pay shipping plus tax.

Now that Camping World and Gardner are one you can usually find an RV supply within an hour or less. Often 2 or 3 or 4 as there are competitors..

And places like PPL RV and a very long long list of others can ship via Fed Ex for only a slightly greater price. if you really need it tomorrow.. or lower cost often "Free Shipping" in about 5 days.

Camping World?

Surely ye jest :E Stupidly high prices, poor customer service and ZERO anywhere around my area.. Might be able to find one with a 8- 10 hr one way drive would be the closest to me.. They are not everywhere, not like Lowes and Home depot I have at least 20 or so of those within 1 hr drive of me..

PPL, yeah, are they not in Texas? Nothing like a 4-5 DAY drive to get there..

Get over it, just because it has "RV" in it does not mean it is the best, most efficient, lowest cost, easy to find..

With a little creativity, other home appliances can be adapted for use in a RV and most likely will work better, last longer and cost less..

Not everything must have "RV" (RV Fridge, RV A/C, RV stereo, RV TV) in the name to work in a RV.

But hey, at least you gave me a chuckle..

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
A 15k Window unit costs about $550 from Lowes/HD. A 15k upper RVP(Coleman) costs about $625. So, for $75 and HOURS of your time and modifying the parts, you want to dismantle a Window unit and HOPE to get it to function as well as a RV designed unit??????????????????? Doug

RV UPPER may only cost $625, however you WOULD have to REPLACE with the SAME model in order to use the $200 piece of plastic INSIDE part, making that $825 plus labor..

You also do not NEED to replace with same BTU if using a Window air, since Window air units use the condensate to splash over the outside coils, allows you to use a lower BTU A/C and get better cooling. A 12K Window unit can easily replace a 13.5K unit and turn your small RV into a meat locker.

I would however question the wisdom of trying to retrofit a Window air unit into a RV roof air case unless you are well versed in recovery and loading refridgerant along with brazing lines and wiring.

Instead, find a place like a closet that you could modify to fit a Window unit..

Can you spot the window air unit in my pix?

It is under the right tail light hidden by that fake fridge access panel.. That is a 10K BTU unit in a 26Ft TT.. I have a 6.5K BTU companion unit in the front bedroom..

It is the second Fake fridge access panel from the front..

The first fake fridge access is my battery compartment which can hold up to 4 GC2 batteries but I only have one pair in there..

With both of those A/Cs I spent just under $500 and they they will freeze you out on 110F high humidity days..

They also work better since they are not up on top of a HOT, HOT, HOT roof..

Yes, I lost a small bit of "storage" but it was well worth it to me and most of that storage was hard to use or get to.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. Just swap on a new RV top unit when needed.

If you really want a project go with a packaged mini-split.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
A 15k Window unit costs about $550 from Lowes/HD. A 15k upper RVP(Coleman) costs about $625. So, for $75 and HOURS of your time and modifying the parts, you want to dismantle a Window unit and HOPE to get it to function as well as a RV designed unit??????????????????? Doug