Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just upgraded our RV to a new Phoenix Cruiser 2351D and picked it up in Elkhart, IN after their lock down of a month and a half. On our way home, which we wanted to take our time getting back home to check everything out. Any way, most all the state parks enroute were packed. Lucky to even get in.
Planning an early July trip and have to make reservation most of the way, which is very unlike us. Parks we wanted to stay over were booked and had to replan. We'd find a park of 43 sites and 9 openings and a day or so later only one or two were open.
We're not use to making reservations, as we are never really sure when we'll be where. I mean if we really like a place we'll stay a couple of extra days or leave eralier than planned. Besides I hate "ordering" a site based on a couple inch square picture. Looked at Google Earth, but that won't show the incline of the site, how far the power pole is, or if it still has shade or not, etc.
We are state park, COE & municipal/county park campers. Commercial/private parks just don't cut it for us. Even FamCamp will fork for a nigh.
So any way, is it me being locked down for so long that every thing seems more crowded or are there more people out and about?

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I think that with companies pumping out a million RV's per year and few if any new camping places that the result is overcrowding. Gone are the days of going to the local gravel pit for a night when getting from point A to point B.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Don mentioned, usage vs available spots are tight, but also, where you are going comes into play. Some states are being very slow to open parks, others are being free with spaces. Some of it is political within the states, some is caution, good luck figuring who is being honest on their motives or methods.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of these newbies won’t continue to camp, they’ll park it at home, and most won’t boondock...thankfully...they’ll want hookups.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In WA state, if you don't reserve a full 9 months ahead and then cheat a bit on the days you actually want, you ain't getting a site if you want to go to the state parks... Been this way for at least the last 10 years or so at least.

Sure, you can find anything on the fly in a resort or rv park or BLM or National or just plain boondocking..

But, if you want a sure thing, that's what we deal with here and the state parks.

Too many people figured out this thing and now it's a free for all!

Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

junmy3

Middle Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also with a lot of the big tourist attractions closed people are buying campers. When the virus started getting places closed I thought it would be a good time for us to get a new camper. I was wondering. I have a friend that used to work maintenance at CW that told me that sales are way up. These folks are going camping somewhere.

Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we gave up on state parks without reservations some years ago. Good private parks were starting to get that way but we still don't make reservations very often.

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both resort type campgrounds we’ve been for the last month have been sold out.

Captain_Happy

Pahrump, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/20 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This year is going to be come a nightmare for Rver's because of the 30% increase in Rv sales. There not biuilding any new RV parks folks.

Next year will be a hole lot because all those that bought RV this year will on the market for sale. Might be a good time to pick up good deal.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in southern AZ most all of our RV parks are jam packed during the "snow" season and are remarkably empty during the heat of the summer.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.