Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
JeremyFr

Spanaway, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been using our camping pass this year, haven't had any issues here in WA getting into any of the resorts, but the state parks have been completely closed until recently, not even going to bother with those this year.

2016 Ford F150 XLT SCREW Long Bed 4x4 3.5L EcoBoost with Stage 3 Livernois Tunes

2007 Jayco JayFlight 23FB

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garmp wrote:

So any way, is it me being locked down for so long that every thing seems more crowded or are there more people out and about?
Been this way in CA since at least the 1960s. Now it can be even worse with internet reservations there are plenty of places solid booked for all Summer months and booked six+ months in advance.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 03:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

garmp wrote:

So any way, is it me being locked down for so long that every thing seems more crowded or are there more people out and about?
Been this way in CA since at least the 1960s. Now it can be even worse with internet reservations there are plenty of places solid booked for all Summer months and booked six+ months in advance.

YEP! as i have said before, now off season often requires reservations 6 months in advance.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bears Den wrote:

After weeks of trying to get a reservation at a state park in the Keys for next May, I finally got into Curry Hammock. Fortunately, we are flexible with our dates. It’s aggravating to see 8 spots open at a state park and at 8 am when you can reserve, all 8 are taken by 8:01 am.

Actually they are taken by 8:00:01 AM. There are folks out there running bots or having 15 of their friends on laptops all hitting the button the split second the window opens. Florida is constantly trying to keep it honest but it's a losing battle.
Friends that travel with us in the winter months are on their own from now on. Near impossible to get 1 site much less 2.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

Bears Den wrote:

After weeks of trying to get a reservation at a state park in the Keys for next May, I finally got into Curry Hammock. Fortunately, we are flexible with our dates. It’s aggravating to see 8 spots open at a state park and at 8 am when you can reserve, all 8 are taken by 8:01 am.

Actually they are taken by 8:00:01 AM. There are folks out there running bots or having 15 of their friends on laptops all hitting the button the split second the window opens. Florida is constantly trying to keep it honest but it's a losing battle.
Friends that travel with us in the winter months are on their own from now on. Near impossible to get 1 site much less 2.
The only way it will ever be made close to fair is to make the deposit and the cancellation fees painful. A $10 or $20 fee stops no one. A fee equal to one night's stay isn't much more effective. Require payment in full and make the cancel fees 25% if cancelled with more than 60 days notice, 50% with between three days to 60 days notice and no refunds on either weekend or holiday reservations and that might make people think twice about reserving multiple sites in different locations on the same days or reserving multiple sets of dates so they can choose which they will use later.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

bucky wrote:

Bears Den wrote:

The only way it will ever be made close to fair is to make the deposit and the cancellation fees painful. A $10 or $20 fee stops no one. A fee equal to one night's stay isn't much more effective. Require payment in full and make the cancel fees 25% if cancelled with more than 60 days notice, 50% with between three days to 60 days notice and no refunds on either weekend or holiday reservations and that might make people think twice about reserving multiple sites in different locations on the same days or reserving multiple sets of dates so they can choose which they will use later.

And after the first night no-show, then the site is open first-come at least two days, then reservable. I'd prefer first-come, but others are less flexible so a little chance for everyone in these cases.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in a Facebook group for Colorado RV camping, it has over 9,000 members. Every single day there is a new member posting something along the lines of "We just bought an RV, where can we go camp". With other types of travel being ill-advised, I think this will just be the norm this summer.

2020 Keystone Montana 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

I'm in a Facebook group for Colorado RV camping, it has over 9,000 members. Every single day there is a new member posting something along the lines of "We just bought an RV, where can we go camp". With other types of travel being ill-advised, I think this will just be the norm this summer.
Next year might be a good time for used RV deals [emoticon]

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

wapiticountry wrote:

bucky wrote:

Bears Den wrote:

And after the first night no-show, then the site is open first-come at least two days, then reservable. I'd prefer first-come, but others are less flexible so a little chance for everyone in these cases.
Yes, good point. After a first night no show the site should become available one way or the other.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

JAC1982 wrote:

Next year might be a good time for used RV deals [emoticon]

Yup! My boss wants to buy a trailer this year (they sold theirs last year), I told her to wait until next year to get a better deal!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.