Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No one camps/rvs in my family, recently I have been getting tex messages from them asking advice for thier friends on places/rv parks to go. I don't think this would have happened a year ago.

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 210K"

Where we have camped

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the state park campgrounds in WY are booked full this weekend.

And, from my experience a couple of weeks ago, one will be hard pressed to find a suitable spot in the National Forest, Uinta Mountains, UT.

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/20 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in Maine now and the CG we have stayed at for the last 10 years that is normally booked solid, is maybe 10% occupied.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a favorite spot we go to several times in the summer. Went 2 weeks ago for 4 nights Mon-Fri. It was full. There's a string of 7 CG's along a river and most all were full or very close to full. Last year you could just show up on a Sun-Mon afternoon and get a decent spot. Now every site in ever CG is reserve only. Last year it was a mixed bag.
Saw plates from WA, ID, CA and TX. I'd say it's definitely more crowded. Drove up to another CG about 5 miles away and it was full as well. And this is during the week.
Not a good sign.

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richclover wrote:

All the state park campgrounds in WY are booked full this weekend.

And, from my experience a couple of weeks ago, one will be hard pressed to find a suitable spot in the National Forest, Uinta Mountains, UT.

We have plans to stay up on the Upper Green near Green River Lakes in Asugust. I see you're in SW WY so I'm guessing you know where I'm talking about? Anyway, we were there last Labor Day weekend and week following with very few people there. Hopefully it's not too crowded this year. My Father in Law lives in Pinedale and is going to go up during the week to park their campers to "reserve" a spot for when we arrive on a Thursday.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its always been like that in most state parks in SC, particularly in the ones near any body of water! "Peak time" is even more PEAK than ever! We now live in Va, and almost nothing anywhere, public or private CG, is available on weekends. Fortunately, we are retired and can enjoy better chances for a site during the week. As land values rise along with property taxes (particularly in the Midwest and Northeast) maintaining a campground is getting too costly for many owners. Fewer parks, fewer sites. Combine that with the current interest in privacy while traveling, the RV industry is in boom! More rigs, less site availability. Yes, it is almost everywhere.

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just returned from a local trip over a extended july 4th weekend. Campground was booked solid. Everyone was quiet, respectful and kept to themself's...lots of social distancing [emoticon]

Mike

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I camped several times in the NFS CG's in NH, one week after memorial day w/e once June 15th and once the week before July 4th usually these CG's would have no vacancy on the w/e's but there were always sites available.

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our observations on NFS CG's here in Colorado:

In early June, things were unbelievably busy. At a lake near our cabin in southern CO, I've never seen it so busy as it was on Saturdays in early June. And I've been going there for nearly 60 years. It wasn't just campers, people were day tripping just to fish. Wall to wall people all along the shore. Reminded me of the "combat" fishing we'd seen up in Alaska on the Kenai.

In mid June, we took a week trip to the Upper Arkansas River Valley between Leadville and Salida. Arrived on a Sunday. Huge numbers of vehicles on the road travelling both directions. Campground hosts said it had been a madhouse all spring. The company they work for is a concessionaire for a number of NFS CG's in the area.

But when we left a week later, again on a Sunday, the traffic on the roads was maybe 25% of what it had been the previous Sunday. All but two of the campsites in the CG we had stayed in left that Sunday. Things were definitely quieter as we went through the towns.

Then last week it was back to the cabin. On Saturday, July 4th, we walked through one of the CG's. Of the 15 sites, 3 were still available. On a Saturday afternoon on the 4th of July weekend!

Again on Tuesday our travels took us back through Leadville, Salida, Buena Vista. Even fewer people than a week earlier.

So what we have seen was a real rush in early June. Things are now slowing down quite a bit. We have talked to others who have traveled elsewhere in CO and it seems to be a statewide trend.

I would also say that Colorado license plates represent a greater proportion of those out in the mountains than in years past. Yes, we still see out-of-state plates, but not as many as usual.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just returned from our yearly trip at Knoebels Amusement Resort in Elysburg, PA. Campground is usually packed with Vacationing families. This year about 40% full. Amusement Park had re-opened on July 1

Mike

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.