Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are plenty of camping spots open in Arizona and the outskirts of Vegas and south of Palm Springs......where it's 110*+

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/20 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Down hear in the south east it is tough to find a site that is somewhere you want to go. All the state parks at the beach are booked solid. Very few sites available at parks on the lakes, and the ones that are available are not lakefront.
I lucked into a cancellation at a state park in the mountains after checking for cancellations twice a day for 2 weeks.
State parks at the beach in FL you pretty much have to get 11 months ahead of time, or find a cancellation.
I know lots of people book a bunch of sites, but know they won’t be able to use them, and end up canceling. I have not done that, but I’m thinking about doing that.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The "I can do anything I want when it comes to a vacation" crowd is now very much limited to RVing. These are the people that have boats, RVs, the funds to take overseas vacations and often second homes. If they happen to live in areas with severe restrictions the use of the boat may be forbidden. The second home might be in an area where the restrictions are severe, outbreaks are occurring or unrest is prevalent, so that is off the table this year. Finally, recreational travel outside of the US is almost completely impossible. You can't even go to Hawaii unless your plans include isolating for 14 days before actually vacationing. That leaves travel by vehicle and RVs the safest, most flexible in that regard. Add in the fact that many parks are either closed or have occupancy restrictions and you find the remaining parks are getting a bigger slice of the traveling pie. Even if that total RV pie is smaller due to COVID fears and shut downs, the piece available for the parks that are open might be bigger than the slice they got when things were the "old normal".
And don't forget, it is also a regional thing. Most people who need to plan long trips cancelled them due to uncertainty. It was not known up to the time they open when National Parks will open. Travel to follow your favorite Baseball team, or NASCAR driver is off for the year. Nobody is going to take their RV across the country to go to a cancelled music festival. That leaves near local trips, so parks near major population centers are getting much more business than normal. Areas dependent on those planned trips are suffering.

GeeWillakers

Wet Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/20 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BC has been like WA for a decade and I suspect AB too. RV sales, especially trailers for family camping, are way up. Good luck getting a site in a PP this summer. We’re looking at maybe September.

2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually the MO is no reservations here. Works well Sunday-Thursday. To be sure for the weekend get there Thursday if possible or early Friday. Lots of CGs hold a few no reservation sites. Bag one of them for the weekend.

Plan B: There is always Walmart or Lowes.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garmp wrote:

We just upgraded our RV to a new Phoenix Cruiser 2351D and picked it up in Elkhart, IN after their lock down of a month and a half. On our way home, which we wanted to take our time getting back home to check everything out. Any way, most all the state parks enroute were packed. Lucky to even get in.
Planning an early July trip and have to make reservation most of the way, which is very unlike us. Parks we wanted to stay over were booked and had to replan. We'd find a park of 43 sites and 9 openings and a day or so later only one or two were open.
We're not use to making reservations, as we are never really sure when we'll be where. I mean if we really like a place we'll stay a couple of extra days or leave eralier than planned. Besides I hate "ordering" a site based on a couple inch square picture. Looked at Google Earth, but that won't show the incline of the site, how far the power pole is, or if it still has shade or not, etc.
We are state park, COE & municipal/county park campers. Commercial/private parks just don't cut it for us. Even FamCamp will fork for a nigh.
So any way, is it me being locked down for so long that every thing seems more crowded or are there more people out and about?

Just got back from a reservation at Mom & Pop campground, The owners mentioned the campground was almost booked solid, where a year ago it wouldn't have at this time. With business reopening everyone is just itching to get out.

I usually don't book July 4th weekend but this year I did just before the covid broke. For me that reservation is worth gold especially after loosing my April & May reservations.

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 200K"

Where we have camped

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, very busy here in PA. We are not good planners. With 2 working adults and 3 kids we make a lot of last minute decisions. Used to be fairly easy to get a sit. Not so much any more.

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wapiticountry wrote:
“...And don't forget, it is also a regional thing. Most people who need to plan long trips cancelled them due to uncertainty. It was not known up to the time they open when National Parks will open. Travel to follow your favorite Baseball team, or NASCAR driver is off for the year. Nobody is going to take their RV across the country to go to a cancelled music festival. That leaves near local trips, so parks near major population centers are getting much more business than normal. Areas dependent on those planned trips are suffering. ..”

Agreed. The national forest camp sites in the Uinta Mtns, UT, are very crowded this summer. Local word is the RV dealers in Salt Lake City are having a very good season.

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

Bears Den

Estero, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After weeks of trying to get a reservation at a state park in the Keys for next May, I finally got into Curry Hammock. Fortunately, we are flexible with our dates. It’s aggravating to see 8 spots open at a state park and at 8 am when you can reserve, all 8 are taken by 8:01 am.

2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm also in the NW so I found out when I bought my RV that we had to book way in advance if we wanted a weekend spot. If you are looking for weekday, they are usually a little easier. I booked our July spot in November and our August spot by December, but that one is in MT. We tried to book a memorial day weekend back in November, but couldn't find an opening. Obviously lots of reservations were canceled. So, it just depends on if you are looking for a place that takes reservations or not. If they don't take reservations, you might be able to just show up. Being able to dry camp sure helps. We have a place not far from where we live we can just show up and usually find a spot even with a larger 5th wheel.

The other issue is size. I like the reservation due to the size of our rig. We found one state part that limits how many reservations they will take, opening the place up for people that just show up. The only issue we had is that we booked what we could get, then tried to change when we got there to an open spot, the camp ground manager wanted us to pay for the reserved spot and pay again for the spot we wanted to move to. Not cool, we just stayed where we reserved. Probably will try that place again this summer by just showing up and seeing what happens. There are some other non official camp spots in the area so we could just park anywhere. It's all dry camping anyway.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.