cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing with blank tanks 1/4 full???

512Climber
Explorer
Explorer
So here's the story. We went camping this week at a place with no sewer hookups so I couldn't flush out blank tank before we left camp. We have another trip coming up in two weeks. I was wondering if we could wait until then to dump and flush the black tank. I searched around and couldn't find any definitive answers so I figured I would ask the internet at large.

How long can you leave waste in black tanks? What can go wrong if left for say a week? A month?

Tell me your horror stories if you have them or your triumph of dumping 3 month old poop without any issues.

Yes this is a serious post but thank you in advance for the laughs that I am sure will ensue.
31 REPLIES 31

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
All comes down to heat and smell. Been full timing about 3 years now. Never use black tank chemicals. On average probably dump the black once a month. Grey tank I open slightly and let drip to the ground when it gets full.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Oh wow, the wife and I have been backyard camping for 20 years using the toilet.

Many times it goes 6 weeks before we make it to a campground to dump, no odors, no issues.

2 years ago I forgot to dump black tank while winterizing, 1/4 full all winter, no issues.

It's just a black tank.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Mine once sat for 3 years with a tank half full. Every once in awhile, I would check the water level to make sure it wasn't drying out.

When I had the trailer repaired and dumped the tanks, it dumped just fine. No smells.

What really surprised me was that the sensors were operating normally.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
512Climber wrote:
Thank you everyone for the helpful suggestions. To answer a few questions in the thread...

The campground we were at didn't have a dup station. They drive around a mini backhoe with a waste tank trailered to pump out waste they only pump on weekdays and we left on a Sunday.... hence 2.5 days with of poop accumulated. My son literally lit it up as soon as the dump truck pulled away.

As for a sewer hookup in my yard... unfortunately it's not an option in my town.

I like the idea of dumping in my home toilet. I'm going to look into that option.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

Sewer Solution allows you to dump into any sewer clean out using a 3/4" hose. Research it on YouTube for more information. Not a fast way to dump but works great at home when You're in no hurry
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

512Climber
Explorer
Explorer
Nearest to me is a little over an hour. So two hour round trip. Its not awful just would rather wait until the next trip if I can.

I've been adding a gallon of water a night through the toilet. Should be good and watered down by the time i get to jellystone.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, as long as you keep water in there so it doesn't dry out you will be fine.

Are you sure there is no where to dump closer to you then a 2 hour drive ??? I'm not from your area but, most of the small towns near me have a dump station some were. Though It might be behind a building or something and sometimes they charge you 5 or 10 bucks. Maybe call a few municipalities near you and ask.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Because if it dries to the bottom of the tank it won't be pretty. He wants to store it for months.

He said two weeks, not months. OP, you'll be fine. If everything works correctly (your tank vents aren't blocked, you have a water seal on your toilet) you won't have any problems.

RV.net people are fanatically searching for a problem for which they can complain...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

512Climber
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the helpful suggestions. To answer a few questions in the thread...

The campground we were at didn't have a dup station. They drive around a mini backhoe with a waste tank trailered to pump out waste they only pump on weekdays and we left on a Sunday.... hence 2.5 days with of poop accumulated. My son literally lit it up as soon as the dump truck pulled away.

As for a sewer hookup in my yard... unfortunately it's not an option in my town.

I like the idea of dumping in my home toilet. I'm going to look into that option.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 weeks, don't sweat it. Add at least a few gallons of water & an extra dose of treatment if that makes you feel better then dump at your first convenient opportunity on the next trip.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Only problem I can think of is poor installation of the tank. If it can't handle the extra weight you might end up having a problem. More so with more weight but it could happen with just 1/4 tank.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:

Because if it dries to the bottom of the tank it won't be pretty. He wants to store it for months.

Unless his black tank valve has a slow leak...no it won't dry out in TWO WEEKS.

To the OP: Absolutely nothing needs to be done. With a 1/4 tank, it will slosh around on the drive to the new campground, maybe dump on the way in but really, it will continue to break down like in your septic tank over the 2 weeks.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Won't hurt anything but I would add more water. Or buy yourself a Sewer Solution and dump at home anytime you want. That's what I do
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, what's the difference in him waiting 2 weeks ( assuming there is plenty of liquid in tank ) and a single camper in the same TT that takes 3 weeks or more to fill a tank while sitting on a lot. Would you recommend the low volume user go to a dump every 2 weeks even if not full?

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
brianosaur wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Why tempt fate? Drain the tanks.

Tempt fate? What in the world does that mean?

-----

They are poly/plastic tanks. It's not like poop is going to eat through it or cause some kind of explosion.

Fill it with water to 3/4+ mark to dilute and wait till you get to the next campground to dump them. You just dont want the tank low and dried crud sticking to the walls.

As previously mentioned, add tank deodorizer/cleaner with the fresh water.

Huh??

Original Post: "We have another trip coming up in two weeks"