Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: potential new rv resort
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> potential new rv resort

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
GAdawgs0688

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family is eyeing opening up a few RV parks in the Central Florida. Location or locations have not been decided on definitely. What businesses are *needed* or *preferred* to be near RV parks. When I ask about businesses, Im really looking for businesses needed specifically for RV campers. Im looking for businesses that are preferred and needed, to try to help pick locations. Thank you

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I prefer to have a place to buy fuel and propane.

A corner store with gas station would be even better.

I enjoy "getting away" from it all, but cell phone access would figure into my choices of places to stay.

Over build the electric supply. Code is woefully underestimating the power needs of modern RV's. Bump up the wiring gauge.

I would not install wifi internet, even at the office, unless you are prepared to have the capacity to do streaming video to every site in the park. That does not come cheap.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/20 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No businesses are needed near an RV park, the fewer the better. Also, the land is usually less expensive the farther from town.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV park or campground? Two whole different animals. Do you see yourself as a high end upkeep person? Or do you see yourself as a avid outdoor woodsy person? Do you want to clean clubhouses, pools, game rooms, a bar, and store, mow lawns, trim bushes and the such? Or do you just want to empty the trash every morning and sell firewood from a small storefront?

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/20 04:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you do anything. Check local zoning. Then get an engineers estimate for a sewer treatment plan for the size park you want. Septic ain't gonna cut it. Then get an Estimate from Florida Power and Light as to bringing Electric power to the site.Then there is the cost of WATER. Government red tape will bury you. You will find this to be a VERY expensive proposition. Better off to go buy an existing park if that is what turns your crank.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/20 05:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never looked to see what businesses are close by, I look for things to do. In FL, I look for beach/bay proximity, or we have enjoyed the different springs. We are still working and have kids, so we are vacationers. We try to make sure we have everything we need so we don’t Easter vacation time at a store.
If you are catering to long term campers, it may be a concern.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

jbc28

Gadsden, AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/20 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, a "RV resort" needs to be close to a tourist attraction or interesting city or something. We typically have no desire to stay at a resort in the middle of BFE. A stopover campground should be close to the interstate and have easy access.

2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/20 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like others, we generally never consider what businesses are near the RV Park. That being said, we would avoid parks that are near obvious businesses that would detract from the park. We wouldn't want to stay at a park next to a steel recycling plant, a sewer treatment plant, a feedlot or a prison.
I doubt it will be possible in most areas of Florida to build a park with recreational amenities that would exceed the amenities currently available. By that I mean you won't be able to build pools better than nearby Waterparks. I doubt any golf course on your property will be better than those accessible to the public, be it regular golf or mini-golf.
Your location will drive your clientele. If you are near Disneyland, expect a park full of Disney visitors. If you are next door to a strip club, expect a lot of vans with dark tinted windows. If you want to build in a very rural area, expect your customer base to be budget oriented. Likewise, if you build oceanfront on Miami Beach don't market to the "I'll never pay more than $25.00 a night" crowd unless you want to lose a whole lot of money. Good Luck.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/20 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen several 'used to be KOAs" that failed because there was nothing to attract customers locally. Most of what they had was over-nighters traveling and long termers trying to stay afloat.

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/20 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most Important:

* Gas
* Groceries

Nice to have:

* Propane
* Fire wood

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> potential new rv resort
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.