Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to RV on East Coast

JJG1234
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

We are totally new to RVing. We are thinking of renting a class C RV and want to take our 5 and 11 year olds on a 4-5 day trip somewhere on the East Coast. The kids love to swim and we were hoping to go somewhere the could swim in a lake etc, as opposed to a pool. We also wouldn’t mind some historical sites to visit. Does anyone have any ideas on where we can go for those things in the PA, NJ, Del area? I live in PA. Wouldn’t mind New England if there were places there?

Thanks in advance for any info. - JJG1234
15 REPLIES 15

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Spend your first night nearby. Hit a KOA or Hershey for Full Hook Ups so you get the hang of it and see if everything you are renting works before your travel to far.

Gettysburg PA is very historic so is going south to Williamsburg. Not sure how things are open per COVID. If you want to go north and park on lake. Try Lake George RV Park and Resort. Some history nearby forts etc. Fun place. They burn the old picnic tables at night huge bonfire and usually there are fireworks on Lake George.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Promised land state park in pa is nice. 2 beaches, good bathrooms, and the loop I usally stay at has a family confort station( pickerel point) so its private and good to get the kidos showered etc. but There are not a lot of full hook up sites there so look at that depending on what you want. Boat rentals are close. In nj, anything in the cape may area, most have lakes and pools. Plus your a short drive to the ocean. Look in the upstate NY area also. Lake george is a but further away, but good for the familly, as is niagra falls area.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
brianosaur wrote:
Otter Lake in PA
Delaware Water Gap
or for some real excitement for the kiddo's try
Jellystone in Quarryville outside Lancaster and Amish Country. Strasberg RR & museum is there too. No swimming lake (but fishing) but the kids will never miss it in 1000 years. There is a stream/river that's walkable just 5 mins away. Its disneyland rv style.

$100 and up per night, no thanks!

Who said anything about $100?
Sometimes its $150 on holiday nights!

Resort campgrounds are just that. Its practically like a free waterpark is included.

Anyone who doesnt spend that amount of money camping must just not love their kids as much as we do.

(...yes, that was a troll comment :p, lol)

JJG1234
Explorer
Explorer
Just circling back. Thanks everyone for posting this information. We will consider it as we plan!!!

-Cheers - JJG

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
What about doing the "Pilgrim thing"? Visit Plymouth Rock and the Pilgrim and Indian villages in Plymouth, Massachusetts. I don't know if the Mayflower II boat is there or still being refurbished at Mystic Seaport.

If I remember correctly, we stayed at Pine Acres campground 10+ years ago and visited Plymouth.

Similar to what others are saying, check Everywhere to see how open they are due to the China Flu.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
brianosaur wrote:
Otter Lake in PA
Delaware Water Gap
Jellystone in Quarryville outside Lancaster and Amish Country. Strasberg RR & museum is there too. No swimming lake (but fishing) but the kids will never miss it in 1000 years. There is a stream/river that's walkable just 5 mins away. Its disneyland rv style.

$100 and up per night, no thanks!

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Otter Lake in PA
Delaware Water Gap

Aubruaot
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,

I hope this fits your need.
1. Cape Cod Campresort & Cabins - Cape Cod, Mass.
This family-friendly campground features 230 sites on 55 acres, including spacious premium sites for RVs up to 40’ long. It is only 5 miles away from Buzzards Bay and the Vineyard Sound, and it features its own private freshwater lake with a sandy beach.

2. Blue Water Key RV Resort - Key West, FL

The private resort is situated on a small strip of land, so campers can find soft beaches and warm Caribbean waters right at the foot of their campsites.

3 Rivers End Campground and RV Park - Tybee Island, GA

Situated on the coast of Tybee Island, River’s End Campground and RV Park is a family-friendly campground just minutes from the beach.

It features over 100 sites with a mix of full hookup, water/electric and primitive tent sites. The park offers complimentary Wi-Fi, and it boasts the largest swimming pool on the island.

I hope those are good options. Remember to always bring all the equipment and spare parts for the interior here https://parts.mopargenuineparts.com/ needed for the RV you are renting and travel. Also please be careful you might get infected of Covid 19 outside.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
JJ,

I live very close to you, and our family has traveled to many campgrounds in the area.

One or two thoughts-are you planning to tow a car? If not, site seeing takes a bit more planning, although you can also Uber, or use the rv as your car Also, for a first camping trip and looking at 4-5 allotted days, I would suggest sticking closer to home than New England. Just my opinion.
I see that you are from Perkasie. I believe that Fretz RV rents rvs.

Otter Lake is in the Poconos and is a great place to go to relax and swim. It does have a lake, but I am not sure if you can swim in the lake. However, Otter Lake also has a swimming pool, planned activities, and is a great place to ride bikes. It is not that close to any other things to see. It’s a bit out there in the woods. Not that you can’t go anywhere.

Lancaster is also a fun place to go. You could stay at Old Mill Stream and head over to Dutch Wonderland (although who knows about that with COVI 19). Old Mill Stream does not have a pool or much else that kids would like, but it is very close to other activities in the area that your family might enjoy. Lake-in -Woods is also in Lancaster and more of a campground that you could go to and swim, ride bkes, etc. If I recall there is also a lake (again, not sure if you can swim in it). Maybe miniature golf (check the website)? And, it too, is a bit farther away from Lancaster activities.

Ricketts Glen has a lake and great hiking, but I don’t think there are any hook-ups. Again, might not be a good idea for first time campers.

Knoebels has a campground, and there is another very nice campground nearby (J and D), but again, COVID 19 might make this a wash.

Hope this helps.
Kathy

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Chesapeake Bay Eastern Shore is an area that most RVers seem to pass on by.

Once past the I95 bottleneck of N DE or getting across the Bay Bridge near Annapolis the Shore is very civilised. MD & DE have some nice SPs & there are more than enough shoreside CGs.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
The Pocono Mt. REgion of Pa might be interesting to you. I know one large CG, Otter Lake CG in the Stroudsburg area is literally on a huge lake with swimming, fishing, etc. available. There are other options as well. The Northwest region of NJ is also possible, with lakefront Campgrounds in the area as well. Might want to check out the Lancaster County, Pa region too. The area has numerous campgrounds, unique communities and attractions (it "Amish Country", and Hershey Park is nearby). None of those areas is very far from you at all, I don't think. You can look at https://www.campgroundreviews.com/ for info on campgrounds and descriptions so you might find something enjoyable. I would agree with others who suggest not going too far from home. Sounds like this will be a 'first time' adventure for the family and it may turn out to be too different for some! Also suggest you take notes, literally, when given instructions when renting the RV, and absolutely don't hesitate to seek help when you set up or take down the rig at the CG! Campers are generally very helpful people!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

JJG1234
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. This information is helpful.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
With the areas around you being among the ones that had/have the most restrictions from Coronacrud, I would think you may be better off looking to your Northwest. Bradford Pa to Alleghenny River and state park.
A lot of folks this year are thinking the same way you are with trying an rv, and New England for the ones in NY and NJ are probably high on their list of destinations, I'd try another direction, at least for this year.
From RV parky as was suggested before,,,,
RV Parky
I cant speak from experience on the area, but I do remember some attempts at New Hampshire and Maine trips from Mass, and you had to go quite a way up to find space even on a normal year.
Good luck.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest making use of Rvparky.com to search for parks in the Poconos or maybe around the Delaware Water Gap which are less than 2 hours from you. You can easily check them out on that site for amenities and reviews.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36