cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Chassis Battery time Cat C7

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace my engine batteries for my Cat C7 the batteries in it are group 31 1000 CCA these are just chassis batteries I have a separate bank of house batteries. Any recommendations for new ones at a decent price?

After reading some info in another thread I checked and my chassis batteries do not charge when the unit is plugged into shore power. I ordered a Mega TRIK-L-START charger that was recommended in that thread, I will be adding that with the new batteries.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
12 REPLIES 12

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the batteries with new Alliance batteries are from a near by truck repair and parts store for $68 and some change each. The pair cost almost half what I was quoted everywhere I called.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Gundog take a look at Amp-l-start

It is a small diode isolator that will supply charge current to your starting battery any time the house batteries are receiving charge current.

I ordered this one.

Charger

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gundog take a look at Amp-l-start

It is a small diode isolator that will supply charge current to your starting battery any time the house batteries are receiving charge current.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
11178adm wrote:
all group31 batterys have have threaded studs. truck dealers will carry the house brand from the manufacturer that they represent usually at a reasonable price. I have had Alliance (freightliner/western star) brand in my mh for 5 years with no problems.

That is what I am replacing Alliance Armor Plate AP31SXHD1000 I don't know how old they are no one punched the date codes on them. When I bought the coach 1.5 years ago the previous owner had said he just changed out the batteries in both the chassis and house. I have now had to replace both sets of batteries the house batteries last year now the chassis batteries. Only one of them went bad but it was draining the other one since they are banked together.

I have to make a correction to the above comment the Armor Plate are not made by Alliance they are made by the Philippine Battery Company they probably came from Les Schwab. I did install new Alliance batteries.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Go get the Interstates at Costco.

When my friend had to replace the batteries in his HD pickup truck, he was surprised that the Interstate batteries at Costco had the same specs, the same warranty and were about $25 a piece cheaper.

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
all group31 batterys have have threaded studs. truck dealers will carry the house brand from the manufacturer that they represent usually at a reasonable price. I have had Alliance (freightliner/western star) brand in my mh for 5 years with no problems.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Go get the Interstates at Costco. My first set lasted seven years and would have gone longer if a stupid shop hadn't left things on for a week. Might call an Interstate Distributor and see if they'll have any Independence Day sales and Military discounts. Last year the distributors were cheaper with the special sale than Costco was.

Bill

I called my local Costco they don't stock the right batteries but can order them at a much higher cost than other places. There is a large truck repair place a few miles from the house that has batteries for cheaper than any other place I called. I need to make sure they have the right post on them mine has studs with some really nice connectors that hold multiple cables. I need to make sure the batteries they have are that type with studs and not round posts they are closed today so I will check tomorrow.

I am also going to call the Interstate distributor and see what they have they are closed on the weekends.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
My 05 Expedition chassis batteries charge when plugged in.

Mine don't I checked it with a volt meter. One of the 2 batteries went bad I could plug in a charger and build up the one and it would start but then it would go dead. I pulled both batteries and charged them separately one holds a charge and the other one doesn't hold a charge. The bad one was draining the good one when they were paralled together. After I removed the batteries I checked voltage on the cables and there was none with the MH plugged in and the house batteries were charging.

I always thought that the chassis batteries were charging when it was plugged in like the house batteries were.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 05 Expedition chassis batteries charge when plugged in.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bruce_Brown
^^^ This. The ones in our current MH came from a heavy truck dealer. They were about 1/3 less than the normal suppliers and no core charge.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A good source for Grp 31 batteries is heavy truck dealers.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go get the Interstates at Costco. My first set lasted seven years and would have gone longer if a stupid shop hadn't left things on for a week. Might call an Interstate Distributor and see if they'll have any Independence Day sales and Military discounts. Last year the distributors were cheaper with the special sale than Costco was.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.