cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pecking Order Gas Coaches under 35'

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
OK, very familiar with diesel pushers, but not with gas coaches.

So, of the major brands (Newmar, Fleetwood, Tiffin, Winnebago, Thor, etc) what is the model pecking order from high to low. 2007 and newer.

Please no "my choice was best"-- more within each manufacturer you are familiar with, what are their highest end/most expensive on down.

Newmar:

Fleetwood:

Tiffin:

Winnebago:

Thor:

Other brands I haven't listed:
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/
11 REPLIES 11

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Tiffin only has the Open Road, just different lengths and layouts. Fleetwood does not even come close to Tififn and Newmar. I think you need to figure out how much you want to spend, whether new or used, then go from there. If looking to buy a quality product new, nd your budget doesn't match - then look at the newest, used coach you can find for the maker you are after. Also - realize the the frame is all F53 ford chassis, with the V10. Based on age, some will be 5 speed and newer ones will be 6 speeds. Also, various frame weights (22K, 24K and 26K #'s) exist and smaller frames have 18" tires rather than 22.5" tires. as smaller tires do ride a bit rougher.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 36B. Top line gasser. Pretty much every amenity that our Dutch Star has, like washer/dryer, corian counter tops,etc. We had it for 13 years and over 150,000 miles with essentially no issues which I can't say about the Newmar Dutch Star. Also, the build quality and finish far exceeded that of our Newmar. The Pace Arrow was a 1999 , can't speak about current Fleetwood status.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Newmar: Canyon Star, Bay Star, Bay Star Sport.....Dennis

Thanks Dennis. That is EXACTLY the kind of information I am looking for.
Brett Wolfe

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Newmar: Canyon Star, Bay Star, Bay Star Sport.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
I have found the NADA RV listings by vintage and MSRP to be helpful in answering the Pecking Order question.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
Let me rephrase the question-- not which brand is better, but within each brand what is the "pecking order".

As an example, within the Fleetwood brand, a Southwind is higher in the pecking order than, say a Flair.

You are talking tier lineup within brand. You should be able to determine that in each of their respective websites and by price.

Yes, that works for new. But looking at the pecking order within brand for older coaches is not so easy.
Brett Wolfe

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Condition

Condition

Condition

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
wolfe10 wrote:
Let me rephrase the question-- not which brand is better, but within each brand what is the "pecking order".

As an example, within the Fleetwood brand, a Southwind is higher in the pecking order than, say a Flair.

You are talking tier lineup within brand. You should be able to determine that in each of their respective websites and by price.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer

Brett Wolfe

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
IMO I would scratch anything REV/Fleetwood makes. The poor quality of the structural work becomes very evident after 2-3 years. The fact that they are good at putting lipstick on a pig just makes it a pig with lipstick.

2016 Bounder

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Newmar/Tiffin are at the top, then Winnie and I would put the rest in a mixed bag. Despite owning 2 Thors and happy with them, admittedly their quality is probably the worst, but you get what you pay for.

Newmar is now owned by Winnie, I think the jury is still out whether this will impact their quality.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS