cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Aid Kit Contents

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
Unsure of where to start this topic, but can't seem to find anything elsewhere. We are planning to go full time in our Tiffin 33 and have previous experience off shore sailing where first aid is of the utmost importance. I understand these will not the same, requirements, but am trying to compile a comprehensive list of what a real first aid kit should contain in an RV. I have some Red Cross training, being a volunteer and am combining that training with lists from my sailing days. I expect to use a tool box to store the kit and believe being prepared for emergencies while on the road is something that can be done without too much effort, but should be done carefully. I am happy to share my list as I build it for others to share along with costs, but would appreciate input from others with more experience.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee
28 REPLIES 28

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
My first aid kit is comprised of beer, paper towels and duct tape.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac214 wrote:
Those "First Aid Kits" sold as a kit-in-a-box are virtually worthless. Sure, they've got a "lot" of components but do they have what you need when you need it?

Make your own.

Ours is a smaller version of "Papa's Operating Room" box here on the farm, a largish plastic box with small bottles of peroxide and alcohol (rubbing alcohol, the good stuff is in a separate cabinet), assorted boxes of bandages (band-aides but not necessarily that brand), different size gauze pads, tape, etc etc. You got the idea.

FWIW, no gloves. Neither DW or I have a worry about treating anyone in the family and getting our hands bloody. If any one of us has a disease it's highly unlikely that any of the other of us doesn't have it too.

So it sounds like you don't realize that the majority of what you listed is what is in the over the counter kits. We get the kit and maybe supplement a few extra items that might be in small quantities in the kit.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech wrote:
I have been packing around a 12X16X3 inch metal box industrial first aid kit for over 10 years. I don't recall ever opening it.
The same goes for the roadside reflector/red flag gadgets. Never needed them.
Barbecue tool set in an aluminum box? used once or twice.
Yeah, I need to think about the stuff that is laying in the motorhome basement; Have I or will I ever use it?

You might or might not ever use it, but if we all carry one it's guaranteed some of us will and it might just save lives. In my case it probably saved my son's quality of life. He broke his wrist in three places while at Kaibab national forest. There is no medical coverage in the forest or at the North Rim. Luckily the folks that came across him had a fairly extensive kit and they splinted his arm, set an air cast, and gave him a sling. Because the wound had been kept from moving the ER doc in Kanab was easily able to set the break and he recovered without any long term consequences. Since that incident I've upped the quality and quantity of what I carry in the first aid kits in my vehicles to be able to handle more significant injuries so that if I need to maybe one day I can pay it forward and help someone else in need out.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

dedmiston
The Red Cross has online training courses that are better than nothing. Some of them are the same videos that they show you in their hands-on courses.

It's pretty simple to learn the steps and the counts and then refresh yourself once a year or so.

I did the full EMT cert training in the 90s and then I take the Red Cross courses every year at work. It always surprises me how often their guidelines change, so it really is worth it to do the refreshers. The more often you do it, the more intuitive the steps will be. Hopefully you'll never need to use it.

https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure that you have some basics to go a couple of days treating an injury that didn't require a doctor. Last September we broke down in the middle of nowhere on a hot road in SC. I burned myself but good being stupid. The tow truck dropped us at a campground near nothing and took the Suburban to be repaired. We couldn't get anywhere to supply up, other than what was in the Campground store, which wasn't much at all. I had purchased a first aid kit at a military surplus store. Bloody lucky for me that it had everything I needed to treat burns for the three days we were stuck in the backside of nowhere.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
Get or make a good kit. LOts of sterile dressings of various sizes 4x4, and larger, a box of multi-size bandaids. Forceps, scissors, a box of Kotex to be used as dressings. Gauze (Kling) to wrap bandages. Benedryl, Tylenol, wire splint (folded) Antiseptic soap and treatment. Ace bandage, sling. instant cold pack. The bigger question is what will you use it for what environment dictates how much to have. RV Park not so much. Backpacking in 400-year forests as much as you can carry plus a sat telephone.

add military surplus battle dressing and it's pretty helpful you know how to use what you carry. Take a first responder & CPR coarse. Depends are where your going? Not really emergency happen all the time your the first on a serious accident, kid in a campground hurt, man down in the camp site next to you, and minutes count. 25 ears LE I know how fast it happens.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
TV CPR is the worst trainer.

They don't want to hurt an actor, they aren't trained, don't show when/where to be careful and when not!
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dtank wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
A first aid kit would would not do me any good because I don't know any first aid !

I keep a few simple things on hand like: band aids, triple antibiotic ointment, ibuprofen,and things like that.

Bigredcav1 - followed by the ret doc covered things well.

What do you mean by, "I don't know any first aid !".....:R

C'mon, Charlie.

Do you know how to stop (serious) bleeding?

Do you know CPR?

How about breathing - choking?

Splint a broken bone?

Any of these things could apply to *YOU* or someone else.
You don't need to be a trained "professional", or take classes to render (or use) first aid practices.

Many can be performed without a "real" first aid kit - just some basic knowledge of what to do in an emergency.

The "simple things" you listed are just that....simple, and usually not requiring immediate action. They're most likely already in/on a shelf somewhere in your cave.

Call Fred Flintstone at your local Red Cross chapter or Fire Dept.,
find out when (free!) CPR classes are offered. The other stuff can be found in basic first aid books/pamphlets.

I would like to take a CPR class and learn some other simple things to do in an emergency. But, whenever I look up for classes for this sort of thing in my area it directs me to First Responder Classes. That is no what I am looking for.

I am usually camping with Lyla and she knows this sort of thing. I will ask her if she knows of someplace I could go to learn.

P.S. for serious bleeding I have some Anti-Bleeding Gauze I got from somewhere. I've seen CPR on television. For choking I know to look down there throat to see for restrictions and I've seen the Himlick Maneuver on Television. I don't think I would do anything with a broken bone except to call a Fist Responder to come take a look at it. Then they would call a ambulance, then the ambulance would drive out from town and load them up. Quite honestly, in may area it's much quicker to shove them in the truck and drive them to town yourself. Of course, that depends on the severity of the injury.

Another personal problem that I have is that I panic easily. That is why I am not a First Responder. I would not be of any help in an emergency. My best bet is to find someone that CAN help and then stay the hell out of their way unless they ask me to assist in some way.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
A first aid kit would would not do me any good because I don't know any first aid !

I keep a few simple things on hand like: band aids, triple antibiotic ointment, ibuprofen,and things like that.

Bigredcav1 - followed by the ret doc covered things well.

What do you mean by, "I don't know any first aid !".....:R

C'mon, Charlie.

Do you know how to stop (serious) bleeding?

Do you know CPR?

How about breathing - choking?

Splint a broken bone?

Any of these things could apply to *YOU* or someone else.
You don't need to be a trained "professional", or take classes to render (or use) first aid practices.

Many can be performed without a "real" first aid kit - just some basic knowledge of what to do in an emergency.

The "simple things" you listed are just that....simple, and usually not requiring immediate action. They're most likely already in/on a shelf somewhere in your cave.

Call Fred Flintstone at your local Red Cross chapter or Fire Dept.,
find out when (free!) CPR classes are offered. The other stuff can be found in basic first aid books/pamphlets.

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Those "First Aid Kits" sold as a kit-in-a-box are virtually worthless. Sure, they've got a "lot" of components but do they have what you need when you need it?

Make your own.

Ours is a smaller version of "Papa's Operating Room" box here on the farm, a largish plastic box with small bottles of peroxide and alcohol (rubbing alcohol, the good stuff is in a separate cabinet), assorted boxes of bandages (band-aides but not necessarily that brand), different size gauze pads, tape, etc etc. You got the idea.

FWIW, no gloves. Neither DW or I have a worry about treating anyone in the family and getting our hands bloody. If any one of us has a disease it's highly unlikely that any of the other of us doesn't have it too.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^last year when we upgraded the trailer i was amazed how many things haddent seen daylight since i put them in when we got the old trailer
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I have been packing around a 12X16X3 inch metal box industrial first aid kit for over 10 years. I don't recall ever opening it.
The same goes for the roadside reflector/red flag gadgets. Never needed them.
Barbecue tool set in an aluminum box? used once or twice.
Yeah, I need to think about the stuff that is laying in the motorhome basement; Have I or will I ever use it?
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
A couple of the small airline sized bottles of bourbon. For internal use only.

airline sized...โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ amateur
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
When you have the kit, put a card in it that has:
A - Specifics of those that travel with you
B - What you need to do to use your phone as a way to summon help
C - Have an App like iTriage that will provide direct medical support information.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.