cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A camper you may never see in your lifetime

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Back in 07 we were traveling and seeing all the sights in the Dakotas and saw this camper.
There was a big family and the grandparents. It was the grandparents rig. It was still in perfect condition inside and out.. Incredible. Note that it was built in 1972!

Here is a link to my album. I did not take pictures of the inside.

Take a look at the spring near the rear axle. When making a turn that axle actually will shift to keep the tires from scuffing.. Pretty clever.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TXBs2r48wibFYaiF9

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.
29 REPLIES 29

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged111 wrote:
Is there a build thread on this somewhere?

Wow, he has finished putting diamondplate on the rest of the camper. It is usually seen down in FL. Never seen the owner of it post online but plenty of pictures of it.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:

Yeah... they weren't real popular even back then.
We had truck campers back in the '60s and '70s. Those type set ups weren't common but we did see them at times.
Tags for truck campers like the picture and same type tags for a 1/2 ton and TT were used back then. Most we saw were used by new folks.

As someone pointed out these type setups could lift the trucks rear axle enough and leave the rear tires with little traction. Making a turn getting up a slight incline into the gazz station left lots of newb campers befuddled as the tires spun and not enough traction to get on up the driveway entrance hump.

Aye, if the initial install isn't done correctly, the rear torsion springs would be taking too much load off the rear axle. I know the Born Frees had adjustments that could be made to vary how much load the rear springs took on.

On the Holiday Rambler Motovan version, they used an air suspension system instead.

Motovan Brochure
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Yeah... they weren't real popular even back then.
We had truck campers back in the '60s and '70s. Those type set ups weren't common but we did see them at times.
Tags for truck campers like the picture and same type tags for a 1/2 ton and TT were used back then. Most we saw were used by new folks.

As someone pointed out these type setups could lift the trucks rear axle enough and leave the rear tires with little traction. Making a turn getting up a slight incline into the gazz station left lots of newb campers befuddled as the tires spun and not enough traction to get on up the driveway entrance hump.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those photos were from the big Ogallala rally, weren't they?
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:

Is there a build thread on this somewhere?
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
It's not like a truck where the axle and frame are designed to support the weight. Camper's liable to go "crunch" somewhere, most likely at the tiedowns.

That's probably why you don't see campers with tag axles like this these days.

I bet there are several designs, but on my Prevost bus, the tag had airbags inflated to 60 psi, what was giving it preset carrying rating.
In case I would cross the ditch and more weight would go on tag, the system had pressure-relieve valve set at 80 psi, preventing the tag to carry more load.
Pretty simple and efficient on bus, but I agree that primitive tag on those TC were trouble waiting to happen.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gotta be careful with those tags. Big trucks with a "dead" tandem like that are infamous for getting stuck the moment the wheels spin, or crossing a little dip. All the weight is on the front axle and the tag, while the drive axle hangs high and dry.

In this case getting stuck is not so much of a concern, as damaging the camper when too much weight goes on the tag axle. It's not like a truck where the axle and frame are designed to support the weight. Camper's liable to go "crunch" somewhere, most likely at the tiedowns.

That's probably why you don't see campers with tag axles like this these days.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, even if they made a Camper Special like those today, youโ€™d have a hard time finding a big, newer TC that can take advantage of it. Most of the big TCโ€™s longer than about 9 ft have a tub that gets wider behind the wheel well area of a โ€œnormalโ€ long bed. If you tried to put a longer, new camper on a truck like that, those tub โ€œbump-outsโ€ would run into the wheel wells before the camper reached the front of the bed.

The shorter TCโ€™s with a tub thatโ€™s the same width from front to back could fit on an old Camper Special, but those donโ€™t usually have a problem with the COG on a โ€œnormalโ€ truck.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You will see the rear axle placed back on F550, who are build for payload hauling.
All models below are build for easy turning while grocery getting.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:

I love this spare tire location !!! I have never seen this. It is such a great idea. You lose a little bed room, but wow!!! Why it did not catch on, maybe bc nobody knew about it, or maybe the bed/axle spacing is wrong on all trucks...

If you move the rear axle forward, back to its original location like all the pickups you lose the space needed to put it in the side of the bed.

Here's a better profile of those F-350 Super Camper Specials.You can see just how far back Ford moved the real axle.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
That bed space is unusable for most. Make other side fitting 30-40 gallons of fresh water tank and you have perfect truck for mid-sized TC.
Too bad TC owners are minority and can't make enough demand for manufactures to consider the options.

Great point!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That bed space is unusable for most. Make other side fitting 30-40 gallons of fresh water tank and you have perfect truck for mid-sized TC.
Too bad TC owners are minority and can't make enough demand for manufactures to consider the options.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer

I love this spare tire location !!! I have never seen this. It is such a great idea. You lose a little bed room, but wow!!! Why it did not catch on, maybe bc nobody knew about it, or maybe the bed/axle spacing is wrong on all trucks...

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
I recall Ford made an F350 Camper Special with the rear axle way aft on an 8โ€™ bed.

Built from 1973โ€“79, the Super Camper Special.
This one also has a Ford camper.

Because the moved the axle further back they had to relocate the spare tire.

Thanks!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"