cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White hose

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
I’m wondering if I need to always use a white hose for the travel trailer if we don’t drink the water.
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
40 REPLIES 40

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The color doesn't matter. What does matter is that the hose is rated as drinking water safe. My Flexilla hoses for instance, are fluorescent green and rated as safe...

Flexzilla Garden Hose, Heavy Duty, Lightweight, Drinking Water Safe

This was a great tip! I purchased the hose and just used it on a camping trip.

Thanks!
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that, now you have me thinking about adding a filter inside the TT.
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
We can't say silver makes things safe or the fda will come get us...

The reason for the special drinking hose is that it does not give off harmful petroleum chemicals. These chemicals leach into the water passing by. Running a new water through can remove much of the chemicals that have leached while the water sat in the hose, but it will still be considered contaminated.

The color means nothing to the water.

The special drinking hose will expire in maybe two years, check the manufacturer date and ex date. After it expires it too can leach out chemicals.

For showering and washing the garden hose water will have minimal effects, though your skin will absorb chemicals, a hose is probably nothing compared to a pool or lake.

Cheap drinking filters will improve the taste, but probably not make it much safer. A quality drip water filter should render safe drinking water.

Uh oh! I've had the same water hose for over 10 years!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
We can't say silver makes things safe or the fda will come get us...

The reason for the special drinking hose is that it does not give off harmful petroleum chemicals. These chemicals leach into the water passing by. Running a new water through can remove much of the chemicals that have leached while the water sat in the hose, but it will still be considered contaminated.

The color means nothing to the water.

The special drinking hose will expire in maybe two years, check the manufacturer date and ex date. After it expires it too can leach out chemicals.

For showering and washing the garden hose water will have minimal effects, though your skin will absorb chemicals, a hose is probably nothing compared to a pool or lake.

Cheap drinking filters will improve the taste, but probably not make it much safer. A quality drip water filter should render safe drinking water.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
You want a hose rated safe for drinking water. It should have little metalized seal or tag on it says such.
Also those little white hoses let a lot of sunlight in and heat and little green and mostly brown stuff grows in it. A lined hose and one with silver in the lining, which I haven't looked for lately to help kill any nasties. Someone found aurethane hose that seems to fit the bill on the net, but not inexpensive.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
They're prob all made in China so can you really trust the rating anyway?
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a 50' hose (of your choice), then cut it at 15'/35' and add new ends. Now you've got a 15', 35', or 50', depending on need, without wresting more hose than you need at any given spot. The 15' is usually enough for most campgrounds that I've gone to, although the 35' has been needed a few times. Haven't needed the full 50' yet, but it's all there just in case.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
.If you happen to have a green hose handy, I wouldn't worry about it. You aren't going to die a horrible death drinking from it (not that you even plan to drink from it.

Are you sure? A friend of my cousin was told by his girlfriend who read on the internet that someone drank from a green hose.
They immediately solidified and crumbled into dust. :B

Verified!

Your cousin's friend - was actually my uncle's second father-in-law (he's on his third marriage) - it was the FIL's co-worker's supervisor at a GM Assembly plant (2nd shift).

IIRC - the "girlfriend" might have been my uncle's 2nd wife.

The moral of the story was it's OK to use green, but don't be evergreen.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Main reason for a white hose is to clearly identify it for potable water use only.
Now I have a 100' brown hose for my sewer macerator, definitely don't want to use that for anything else 😉
I do carry a green garden hose for general use, cleaning out the stinky slinky, etc.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Ron3rd: Your link is the same hose now available at Walmart

Could be. Just don't buy the cheap white hose they sell. Total junk.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Reason I asked was I have a white hose for the TT and was going to use a spare garden hose as a backup. You all have made sense with your replies, why bother for the difference in price. I will be buying a second RV rated hose. Thanks!
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
2oldman wrote:
You can use any hose you want as long as you don't mind the taste of it.

You are supposed to run water through it, not eat it. :B

Good one. :B

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Even for cooking, brushing teeth, or showering, it is best to use a hose that is drinking water safe. OTOH, never heard of anyone dying from drinking from a garden hose, or RV plumbing that was not sanitized.:)

Jerry

City folks never drank from the garden hose. Guess I should be dead or dying of something other than age.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Ron3rd: Your link is the same hose now available at Walmart

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow