Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: CAT Scale results - advice needed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> CAT Scale results - advice needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andrewmart wrote:

Thanks for the advice. It makes sense! I've been toying with the idea of getting a 3/4 ton vehicle to tow our vehicle, so it might just be time to do it. I was initially worried about our payload being near the max, but now I have to worry about the hitch weight max.

I'm looking at a lightly used F250, which will drastically increase my payload and also push my hitch weight to around 1250-1400#. I started another thread on the towing vehicles forum last week.

I will also shift little weight around in my trailer, because I want a lower hitch weight regardless of the vehicle. We do not have any outdoor rear storage compartments, so we'll have to just put things inside the TT.

Actually, the numbers with the WDH don't look bad, it was really the non-WDH numbers that looked odd and therefore lead one to question if the other numbers were correct.

While a 3/4 ton will certainly do well, you shouldn't need one for this trailer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andrewmart wrote:

Thanks for the advice. It makes sense! I've been toying with the idea of getting a 3/4 ton vehicle to tow our vehicle, so it might just be time to do it. I was initially worried about our payload being near the max, but now I have to worry about the hitch weight max.

I'm looking at a lightly used F250, which will drastically increase my payload and also push my hitch weight to around 1250-1400#. I started another thread on the towing vehicles forum last week.

I will also shift little weight around in my trailer, because I want a lower hitch weight regardless of the vehicle. We do not have any outdoor rear storage compartments, so we'll have to just put things inside the TT.

This is something that you definitely need to do.
First, I couldn't find any such trailer as a 3101BHSE. But if it has a 31 at the front of the number, that is a TT that's 33'+ long.[emoticon]
IMHO, you're over payload with loaded car and trailer and over the max hitch receiver capacity.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I found the OP's trailer..

SE 301BHSE

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Andrewmart wrote:

Took my TV and TT to the scales and have some results.

TV - 2017 Expedition w/ HD Tow package
TT - 3101 BHSE (dry weight of 6100, hitch weight of 890)
Using ProPride 1400# hitch. Using 2 washers on the hitch pin.

Vehicle weights:

TV only
Steer Axle: 2840
Rear Axle: 3220

TT: 6840

TV and TT (no WDH)
Steer Axle: 2100
Rear Axle: 5260

TT Axle: 5540
Total: 12900

Hu? How could you add over 2K in the rear axle? We need correct numbers to give you a correct answer. Are the numbers correct?

Yup. If you add the loss off the steer axle to the loss of the trailer weight when hitched. That is 740# off the steer and 1300# off the trailer axle(s). That's 1300# tongue weight.
Tow with any tanks forward of the TT axle empty as possible. Consider carrying liquid in tanks behind the axle. Shift whatever trailer weight you can behind or on the axles.
Also not quoted above, but you need to put more tension on your WDH to push more weight to the steer and trailer axles.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andrewmart wrote:

Well, that’s the easy answer, since you’re not addressing my questions.
I’ll rephrase for your wife’s purposes so you can convince her you need the F250....

OMG, that’s too heavy!! Stop now. Think of the children! Go get a Powerstroke!!

(I think that’s the answer you were asking for)

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boomerweps wrote:

Also not quoted above, but you need to put more tension on your WDH to push more weight to the steer and trailer axles.

If his numbers are correct, he's already pushing 500lb back to the front axle and as can be seen when he upped the tension on the WDH, it really didn't make much difference.

If he backs off the hitch weight, that should also result in more weight on the front axle without trying to over tension the WDH.

Andrewmart

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the tips.

Thinking about it, all our weight was in the front of the TT when I went to the CAT scale. When we travel, I put our ice chest, clothes, etc over the rear axles to help offset the weight in the front, but since we were not traveling I did not do that. Definitely something I'm glad I did and learned about how hitch weight is impacted when all weight is in front storage. I'm planning on putting our canopy and chairs under the dining room storage. We will also put all our clothes/suitcases over the rear axle wheels when towing. This should help make hitch weight better.

Question about towing with a truck. We are getting a f250 with 8 foot bed. I'm planning on putting things in the bed of the truck like our ice chest, bikes, etc. I'm assuming the truck bed weight will just go toward the TV rear axle weight with some redistributed to the front with WDH and not hitch weight, right?

Thanks again for all ya'lls help and advice!

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a lot of TW! That puts you over the receiver rating and rear axle ratings by a bunch. I recommending moving as much weight in front of the axles to behind. Store more stuff in the bunk room while traveling. If you can shift 400 pounds rearward, the numbers including the WDH should get you back under every rating.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 03:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes Andrew, weight in the truck bed is predominately carried by the rear axle. No it not hitch weight. No it doesn't get "redistributed to the front axle." The front axle will carry a little of the weight forward of the rear axle but not much.
If you're getting a F250, nine of this is a concern u less the stuff in the bed is a load of gravel or a cord of firewood though.

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Boomerweps wrote:

If his numbers are correct, he's already pushing 500lb back to the front axle and as can be seen when he upped the tension on the WDH, it really didn't make much difference.

If he backs off the hitch weight, that should also result in more weight on the front axle without trying to over tension the WDH.

That's a tremendous amount of force on the trailer's tongue to force that much weight back to the front of the tow vehicle. One more thing that's seldom mentioned with WDH's is the resistance to roll when crossing uneven surfaces like driveway entrances. I use as little WD as I can get away with and the sealant still squishes out of the front corners of our travel trailer while the back stays well put. When the truck leans left and the trailer leans right, something has to give and the WDH hitch gives very little. So the twist winds up being from the coupler to the trailer axles. The only reason I use a WDH is to satisfy the rating of the receiver. Newer F250s are rated for 1300 lbs tongue weight with or without WD. I'll be going that route soon.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 106k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> CAT Scale results - advice needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.