Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Wheel Bearing Repack
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Wheel Bearing Repack

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/17/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck getting US made Timken bearings or any brand for that matter, even if they say USA, people need to read what goes on with how ,and where these bearing,seal, or race are made. The components can be made in China or wherever ,and assembled in the US, and marked that way.

I think we are fooling ourselves where all this stuff is actually made. Heck, I drive a Mexican truck [emoticon] ,and who knows where all the parts are made.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/17/20 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This company Has Timken bearings made in the USA. They also have the complete kits with Timken bearings. Other places have them as well and you may find better pricing.





cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/17/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

This company Has Timken bearings made in the USA. They also have the complete kits with Timken bearings. Other places have them as well and you may find better pricing.


Unfortunately that USA on that bearing does not guarantee it’s made in the US , could very possibly be assembled in the US , and the components made anywhere in the world , did a research on these bearings , and that is what’s happening .

It’s the same with B&W hitches they claim made with steel manufactured in the US , ands that’s true , but the iron ore could have come from anywhere . I’d like to see the steel certs on the iron ore to see where it was mined from . We are fooling ourselves thinking we are getting these items that are entirely US.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/17/20 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

This company Has Timken bearings made in the USA. They also have the complete kits with Timken bearings. Other places have them as well and you may find better pricing.


Unfortunately that USA on that bearing does not guarantee it’s made in the US , could very possibly be assembled in the US , and the components made anywhere in the world , did a research on these bearings , and that is what’s happening .

It’s the same with B&W hitches they claim made with steel manufactured in the US , ands that’s true , but the iron ore could have come from anywhere . I’d like to see the steel certs on the iron ore to see where it was mined from . We are fooling ourselves thinking we are getting these items that are entirely US.


I have had the cheap Chinese bearings fail in one season, believe what you want, but I'll use the Timkens. Even if some of their manufacturing moved to other countries, at least they have a reputation and a clue how to make bearings. I have seen the junk first hand and have a shop with the ability to thoroughly inspect the dimensions, angles and hardness so I can say with authority than some bearings are junk. I've not seen anything but USA Timkens in the sizes most commonly used on trailers. I only reply to these discussions to warn those who will listen about the junk, what they do with the information is up to them.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/17/20 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

This company Has Timken bearings made in the USA. They also have the complete kits with Timken bearings. Other places have them as well and you may find better pricing.


Unfortunately that USA on that bearing does not guarantee it’s made in the US , could very possibly be assembled in the US , and the components made anywhere in the world , did a research on these bearings , and that is what’s happening .

It’s the same with B&W hitches they claim made with steel manufactured in the US , ands that’s true , but the iron ore could have come from anywhere . I’d like to see the steel certs on the iron ore to see where it was mined from . We are fooling ourselves thinking we are getting these items that are entirely US.


I have had the cheap Chinese bearings fail in one season, believe what you want, but I'll use the Timkens. Even if some of their manufacturing moved to other countries, at least they have a reputation and a clue how to make bearings. I have seen the junk first hand and have a shop with the ability to thoroughly inspect the dimensions, angles and hardness so I can say with authority than some bearings are junk. I've not seen anything but USA Timkens in the sizes most commonly used on trailers. I only reply to these discussions to warn those who will list in en about the junk, what they do with the information is up to them.


No doubt they are better bearings than others , didn’t say they were bad . Was pointing out the fact they are not made in the US . I’m sure there is a lot of junk bearings out there .

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/18/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

No doubt they are better bearings than others , didn’t say they were bad . Was pointing out the fact they are not made in the US . I’m sure there is a lot of junk bearings out there .
Do you know this for a fact, or are you just speculating that all Timken bearings are made in China?


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/18/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But some of those molecules in the Timken steel could have migrated from China. [emoticon]

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/18/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

No doubt they are better bearings than others , didn’t say they were bad . Was pointing out the fact they are not made in the US . I’m sure there is a lot of junk bearings out there .
Do you know this for a fact, or are you just speculating that all Timken bearings are made in China?



Just what I read on the internet , got to be true [emoticon] It was pointed out although they have USA stamped on the bearing , its just means its a US company . Timken bearings are made in several countries ,China is one. Take it for what its worth. I don't care where they are made, I have no control on where this stuff is made. Some of the bearings are made here, you guess is as good as mine which ones. We have some here with the illusion that its a US company, its made here.

Just like B&W, yes made 100% in the US, but I have dealt with steel my whole working live. I am here to tell you the steel is made in the US , but there is a very good chance the iron ore was mined from an overseas country. We had to manufacture our products for the US ,and state governments , and the steel had to be mined ,and manufactured in the US. The only way you know for sure if B&W is 100% is to have a look at the steel certifications supplied by the steel company that rolled the plate, angles, flat bar etc. Sure manufactured in the US doesn't guarantee anything.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/18/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timkin bearings stamped USA are made here plain and simple. Same with National and SKF seals.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/18/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Timkin bearings stamped USA are made here plain and simple. Same with National and SKF seals.


If that were only true , where and how do you know that it’s plain and simple . I think you need to read the history of Timken

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Wheel Bearing Repack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.