cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement ideas for pos Jensen a/v receiver

spotrot
Explorer
Explorer
The Jensen av system and TV have been a nightmare since new, and I'm tired of rewarding Jensen by buying replacements for their pos units.

The Jensen AWM970 is on its second failure. Does anyone know of a quality unit that can replace it. The cutout is 9.3 by 6.1 which is too large for a double din car radio.

Thanks

John
9 REPLIES 9

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of car stereos have DVDs built in. It might take a bit of hunting around to find one that can be set to always play the DVD (without requiring multiple cycles on the "parking brake" wire). Many/most of the better ones have line-level audio outputs; adding an external amplifier or two will give you three zones without any trouble. You could incorporate some nice little switches in the bezel to remote turn on the external amplifier(s). (Most car stereos do kind of have two zones already, of course, the front and the back speakers.)

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Crutchfield should be able to hook you up. I replaced my Jensen 3 way camera head unit with a Pioneer from crutchfield. They knew what harness and bracket I needed. I think the bracket was a universal one. Pretty much plug and play.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
When I was just a kid back in the 70's and got my first car, I bought a Jensen car stereo. Everything they made back then was junk too but it was all I could afford at 16 years of age. Obviously they found their niche by selling to all the RV manufacturers but they haven't improved the quality of their systems. They just branched out and started making crappy TV's, speakers and DVD players too! Many RV people will say their radios are good but those people just don't know how much better quality is available.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

spotrot
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. I considered the double din car auto. Agree much better choice and quality for the $. However, 'we' wanted the 3 speaker zones and the dvd.
Crutchfield has Jensen JWM62A for $199 but it's listed at 6 watts /channel (RMS). The current Jensen junk I have is listed as 18 w per channel (without Jensen stating RMS or peak)
Crutchfield also has a iRV iRV6500BT for $230 stating 45w peak/channel but the reviews are all bad.
The current unit had the CD/DVD fail a while ago but I bought a blu ray play for about $60 and use that. Now the Volume switch stopped working but after posting I remembered that the unit has a remote. That works good enough for now. I simply do not want to send any more money to Jensen after a decade of multiple failures.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.crutchfield.com/

they might have a spacer.

What I did was replace the finish layer of material. I went with Corian topping. Or any brand will work. Comes in different thickness. I just made a pattern and cut to fit. You could also use any counter top material and glue on thin plywood.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Offhand, I think the simplest might be to find or fabricate a bezel and whatever other mounting hardware would permit the use of a double DIN car radio.

I agree. Then you can buy whatever system you like.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Offhand, I think the simplest might be to find or fabricate a bezel and whatever other mounting hardware would permit the use of a double DIN car radio.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I had good luck with my Voyager camera system and monitor. There are less expensive units available but I had not issues with my Voyager. Contact rvcams.com and they can guide you through something that will fit.

The original poster is asking about an Audio/Video entertainment system - NOT a backup camera system. I will follow this discussion as I am in the same boat.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had good luck with my Voyager camera system and monitor. There are less expensive units available but I had not issues with my Voyager. Contact rvcams.com and they can guide you through something that will fit.