cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

flojet macerator questions

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to decide how to set up Flojet macerator pump. I need to make an extension cord and it looks like I will need 10 ga wire for a 15 ft. run. Any suggestions on what type of connections to use? It comes with sae to sae quick disconnect but I can't seem to find a pre-made cord in 10ga. that is 15ft. long.
Does anyone know what size wire is used on the cord that comes with the macerator?
I was also told to make sure to use the backflush as the reduced size of the outlet slows the flow and can leave stuff in the tank. So I was thinking that maybe I could run my stinky 3" hose to where my batteries are and hook flojet at end of hose. I would do away with the need for a dc extension and maybe have better flow out of the tank to the macerator. Any thoughts?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand
15 REPLIES 15

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I made a 10ga extension w/ a SAE connector and battery clamps. And I use a 45-degree clear adapter, it prevents the last cup of water from coming out when I disconnect the pump.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Trying to decide how to set up Flojet macerator pump. I need to make an extension cord and it looks like I will need 10 ga wire for a 15 ft. run. Any suggestions on what type of connections to use?

I ran 12 gauge zip cord from the battery back to a 7-pin Bargman connector mounted next to the waste gates and wired a matching Bargman to the macerator.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
I used Powerpole connectors, this company will make up whatever cables you need.

You would not be a fellow ham radio operator Would you
(In another post I mentioned I use a lot of Anderson Power poles, in fact in front of me as I type is a West Mountain 12 slot power pole power strip.. It feeds a whole bunch of stuff.

No, not a ham operator, I can't even keep my iPhone working after the warranty expired and the poison pill update to force a new purchase.

I looked all over to wire up the macerator and was surprised at the lack of cables and supplies to do this simple job. I bought from Powerwerx because they were one of the few that had everything I needed. Even though the purchase was way past their warranty period when I got around to do the wiring, they replaced a bad cable for free. The cable was manufactured with strands of copper poking thru the insulation.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
I used Powerpole connectors, this company will make up whatever cables you need.

You would not be a fellow ham radio operator Would you
(In another post I mentioned I use a lot of Anderson Power poles, in fact in front of me as I type is a West Mountain 12 slot power pole power strip.. It feeds a whole bunch of stuff.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Now on to the discharge hose. Has anyone used a lay flat hose? Easy to store but am I asking for problems?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Great ideas...thank you. Just to be clear, if I go with the HF Power Pack I would get the 12v DC by using a cigarette lighter type plug to butt connectors or Sae connector?

That's what I do too. Same as ford truck guy. Just clip the booster cables to the Pos/Neg wires of the Flojet and turn on the power pack. That's all there is to it.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

bob213 wrote:
Great ideas...thank you. Just to be clear, if I go with the HF Power Pack I would get the 12v DC by using a cigarette lighter type plug to butt connectors or Sae connector?

I just kook up to the 2 alligator clips on the HF jump starter...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bob213
Explorer
Explorer

RobWNY wrote:
I have a Flojet Macerator. What I found that worked best for me was to use a Harbor Freight Power Pack. Around $100 after a 20% off coupon. Just use the booster cables, a clear 45 degree fitting so you can see the discharge, a 1" diameter garden hose and you're all set. Easy and portable. If you already have a power pack, even better. I always use my black tank flush after getting rid of the "contents" until it runs clear. It takes me about an hour but well worth the time spent to be able to do it from home.

When using my portable macerator I do the same exact thing...no worrying about the wires, or slinky.. BUT, Use the cheaper version of the power pack from Harbor Freight - harbor freight.. after a 30% super coupon its right around $50
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used anderson power poles connectors (The 40 amp size) from West Mountain Radio. but ..... I use a LOT of those connectors

They also sell 10 ga Speaker Wire (ultra flex red/black zip style)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a wire chart instruction sheet in my hands from a different manufacturer. It is most likely the same chart. Most likely the same pump as it has the same info. Mine says that the #10 for 15' would be for 3% voltage drop. You can use 10% voltage drop and be within specs. Mine has 2 columns. #14 is good for 15' @ 10%. Keep in mind, that is total footage pump to battery and back to pump. So you are talking 30' of wire. Mine will be 50' total and I will be using #12 per my chart at 10% voltage drop. It does work out. I am a master electrician. I have not done the hard math but I do know that #10 is way overkill for a 15' run. This makes for a much easier installation. The pump will dump a 40 gal tank in less in 4 min. I'll be using a 12 ga extension cord and blue crimp connections.I will be pumping 50' thru a standard 3/4 garden hose per the instructions.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a wire chart instruction sheet in my hands from a different manufacturer. It is most likely the same chart. Most likely the same pump as it has the same info. Mine says that the #10 for 15' would be for 3% voltage drop. You can use 10% voltage drop and be within specs. Mine has 2 columns. #14 is good for 15' @ 10%. Keep in mind, that is total footage pump to battery and back to pump. So you are talking 30' of wire. Mine will be 50' total and I will be using #12 per my chart at 10% voltage drop. It does work out. I am a master electrician. I have not done the hard math but I do know that #10 is way overkill for a 15' run. This makes for a much easier installation. The pump will dump a 40 gal tank in less in 4 min. I'll be using a 12 ga extension cord and blue crimp connections.I will be pumping 50' thru a standard 3/4 garden hose per the instructions.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
Trying to decide how to set up Flojet macerator pump. I need to make an extension cord and it looks like I will need 10 ga wire for a 15 ft. run. Any suggestions on what type of connections to use? It comes with sae to sae quick disconnect but I can't seem to find a pre-made cord in 10ga. that is 15ft. long.
Does anyone know what size wire is used on the cord that comes with the macerator?
I was also told to make sure to use the backflush as the reduced size of the outlet slows the flow and can leave stuff in the tank. So I was thinking that maybe I could run my stinky 3" hose to where my batteries are and hook flojet at end of hose. I would do away with the need for a dc extension and maybe have better flow out of the tank to the macerator. Any thoughts?

I bought a pair of 12g SAE connectors (12g for 6 inches is not a problem) and made my own 10g cord.

Using the backflush is a good idea. Instead of that, I use my tank rinse to achieve the same result.

Running the stinky as the initial stage won't help unless you have enough length to take the entire contents of the tank. All you will do is have the tank dump a couple of gallons of "stuff" into the stinky, then slow down to the same rate it would be if you had the Flojet directly on the outlet. Only, now, the backflush does no good, whatsoever.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB