Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Small Class C with out tow car
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Small Class C with out tow car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been looking at down sizing from a class A and have been looking at small TT's (18-24 ft) and Class B's and B pluses(19-24 ft)when I came across a short Class C about the same size as the B pluses. I was a 2019 Leprechaun 2030CB, much more storage, room inside and more water than the B's. Has anyone here traveled with a 24 ft C with out a tow car and just used the C for sight seeing and going to the store? Or have you found a tow was still necessary?

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the day we took a 22' Class C from CA to Newfoundland with 2 teenagers and no car. It worked out very well as we weren't parked for long so stopping at stores was easy. Every store I've ever been to has plenty of parking just not next to the entrance.

One highlight was the 18 hour ferry ride to Newfoundland, Newfoundland itself and the 8 hour ride back. The ferry to PEI and PEI itself was interesting and this was before the current bridge.

Yes a car is nice but we made due. Later we towed a VW bug and that was a load for the rig.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't have a C, what we have is a very small A. At 23', we have never found that we needed a towed. We did have one for a while, but quickly found that it was more trouble than it was worth unless you want to go 4-wheeling. We have a pair of bicycles to get around the rare big campground and I never have to worry about what is happening with the towed.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've travelled with a 32' overall class C and now towed car, most notably from Vermont to and around Alaska and back, and it's worked out well for me. Outside of cities, I haven't found parking to be a big concern, outside of large cities where I'd rather not be driving anyway, and if one's moving from one campsite to another touring along the way is no problem either. Frankly, I'm not sure there's much practical difference in that matter between my RV and a 24' one; 24' is still too long to fit in (most) single parking spaces, so you'd typically need a couple end-to-end or several side-to-side, just as I do. Maneuvering in tight areas is definitely somewhat easier with the shorter motorhome.

I think a towed car becomes more helpful the longer you tend to stay in one place before moving on, while it's more hassle the more you are a traveller rather than a stayer. There's nothing wrong with either approach; different people just have different preferences and timetables. (Similarly, one's physical capabilities in terms of walking or bicycle riding might also dictate that a towed vehicle is more or less important. If it's no big deal to walk or bike a mile there and a mile back to go to a store or catch public transportation, then camping carless is a good bit easier.)

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 24' class c . We sometimes do not tow the car. 50/50.

For short planned trips where we know where we are going to be, determines if we bring the car or not.
When we go to state parks or boondock w/o hookups, we tow the car in order to use it to refill our 4 , 7 gal water jugs and take side trips to sightsee and visit friends/family.

If we use campgrounds with hookups, we leave the car at home and pre-plan for food. We tend to cook at the campsite and not go out to eat.

Using the rv alone has never been a problem. We get into all parking lots just like the delivery trucks do. I try to find a spot out of the way and walk the extra 300 feet to the store. I kill 5 calories doing that you know ! Each way !

If we were doing a long trip where we didn't know where we were going to park/camp then we would tow the car. It carries a lot of extra EQ and supplies.

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 24 foot C and tow most of the time, but not always. It handles extremely well and hardly affects MPG.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do any of you carry an E bike to run around in?

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 24' class C and we tow a car for any trip longer than 1 night. We have a great desire to wander places a 24' class C won't go or would be a pain.

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 21 C. This works great for almost everything. Small enough to use for grocery getting and general running around. I think if I felt the need to tow a car, I would just get a travel trailer and a truck as I had before.
Brian

Seattle Steve

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Do any of you carry an E bike to run around in?

I do, but you should be aware of some caveats. First, the ebike (mine is a RadRover) is fairly heavy at 60 pounds with the battery removed. My rear hitch is 23" off the ground. My bike rack (1up-usa super duty with fat tire kit) raises it another 4" so you need to be able to lift 60 pounds more than 2 feet off the ground. Also there is only so much you can carry in a backpack, limiting how much you can use it for shopping. I do use it far more often around the house than I do out camping. When camping it is mostly for exploring dirt roads when boondocking when I don't bring my ATV.

So I love the freedom of traveling without a towed vehicle (except occasionally the ATV on a trailer), but we're really good about planning what we need and stopping at stores before we get to the campground. Of course, it is much easier to stop at stores when you're not towing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Small Class C with out tow car
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.