Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Without getting political....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Without getting political....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They lost me when they had the first strike for more money. College ball is more exciting anyway.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chicken/egg question. Do parents get their kids to play sports because they enjoy watching pros, or watch pros do what kids want to do?
As a vet that believes in democracy, it bothers me when I compare the percentage of people that know who had a home run in the last Super Bowl, but don't know who represents them in their state legislature.
I think the country would be better if starting about 3rd grade kids started voting about classroom policies. (Teacher veto of course) The next generation could grow up understanding there are more important things in the world than what guys in a field do with a ball.

Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navigator, sadly it looks like college sports are headed that way also, just going to go up in the Ozark hills and find me a cave. Seventy years on this Earth and I have not seen things getting so sterilized and changing about our history as the push that has been made the last few years. As Fred Sanford used to say "I'm comin'n Lizebeth!!!

AND, I am buying several cases of Aunt Jemima syrup and pancake mix and also some Uncle Ben's rice and I don't even like rice!!!!

* This post was last edited 06/17/20 01:47pm by Redcatcher70 *   View edit history

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Chicken/egg question. Do parents get their kids to play sports because they enjoy watching pros, or watch pros do what kids want to do?
As a vet that believes in democracy, it bothers me when I compare the percentage of people that know who had a home run in the last Super Bowl, but don't know who represents them in their state legislature.
I think the country would be better if starting about 3rd grade kids started voting about classroom policies. (Teacher veto of course) The next generation could grow up understanding there are more important things in the world than what guys in a field do with a ball.

At 72 I have seen society change and many/most now target being a millionaire, so to speak instead of enjoyment of the games. My son lettered in football, band, basketball and track and held the school record in the old 440 and some others. He was scouted by the successor to Bear Bryant but he was just to light. he just enjoyed the games.
He is also an Eagle Scout. Today I don't remember specific instances but have heard kids talk about making lots of money in sports, nd they work exceedingly hard to make it for that goal.
We have given up all pro sports on TV and can't afford two hundred dollars or so to attend a Braves game and now don't even watch them on TV. I'm thinking of starting to attend my son's old high school games.
In the small towns of the Mid West or Michigan the whole town comes out for them, I don't remember the town, at the moment but it was thoroughly enjoyable likeit was in southern Indiana in the sixties. And the games at the old Look Out stadium.That Dad as teen ager hitch hiked from Middle Tn to see, in the early part of the last century. Now it is all about AT&T and their corporate image and terrible baseball at the new outside interstate noisy stadium. They are bringing in big money to thee players at University and College games so there that goes. Won't be going to UT I think especially until they and the Mocs, at the old University of Chattanooga who used to be a number 1 team get some good coaches.UT Trustees etc won't let UTC be the big dog over them and Top choices they take or run off.

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I have to say I didn’t miss the Nascar races that have happened since they said the National Anthem can be protested. I think some have lost the plot for why there is a National Anthem. I can go back to protesting NFL as well. Time will tell if all sports including NCAAF will be protested.

For me, it’s simple ... protest any time except during the National Anthem.

There are already college athletes (Oklahoma State) protesting because the coach wore a shirt from OAN to go fishing!

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Etstorm wrote:

There are already college athletes (Oklahoma State) protesting because the coach wore a shirt from OAN to go fishing!

I read that Gundy apologized already, and that is up to him.

I don’t mind protests. I just don’t want to see protests during the National Anthem.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/20 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I quit NFL after the first round of kneeling. I haven’t watched a game since. I’ve always liked college football a whole lot more but even they are getting political. I watch sports to get a break from the realities of the world.
Oh well, evidently it’s about time to let them go too.
Thanks for nothing but misery BLM.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

It is all about making money.
The same as every other pro sport.

Think how long it takes to play a football game on TV now vs. years ago -Advertising, advertising, and more advertising

Guy

You mean over three hours to play a sixty minute game that has eleven minutes of actual playing time?

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pro Sports are no longer games to watch - they have become an entertainment break between commercials.

We only watch baseball - when and if it returns , because commercials usually come only between innings, for which we can mute and plan our own "go get snacks or hit the bathroom time".

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I'm not sure anyone could tell you who made a home run in the last Super Bowl...

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Without getting political....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.