Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Without getting political....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Without getting political....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Chicken/egg question. Do parents get their kids to play sports because they enjoy watching pros, or watch pros do what kids want to do?
As a vet that believes in democracy, it bothers me when I compare the percentage of people that know who had a home run in the last Super Bowl, but don't know who represents them in their state legislature.
I think the country would be better if starting about 3rd grade kids started voting about classroom policies. (Teacher veto of course) The next generation could grow up understanding there are more important things in the world than what guys in a field do with a ball.

I'm not sure anyone could tell you who made a home run in the last Super Bowl...
The information should be available somewhere in the stats, wouldn't it?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't you remember: it was right after that big free thow.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could have been returning the first pitch thrown by what's his name being returned for a big three pointer...

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Chicken/egg question. Do parents get their kids to play sports because they enjoy watching pros, or watch pros do what kids want to do?
As a vet that believes in democracy, it bothers me when I compare the percentage of people that know who had a home run in the last Super Bowl, but don't know who represents them in their state legislature.
I think the country would be better if starting about 3rd grade kids started voting about classroom policies. (Teacher veto of course) The next generation could grow up understanding there are more important things in the world than what guys in a field do with a ball.

I'm not sure anyone could tell you who made a home run in the last Super Bowl...

My point is many people can tell you all kinds of statistics about a game, but can not be bothered to learn anything about actions taken by people that can change their life.
For example; More than once I have read on RV sites about owners getting panties in a mess because their home town will no longer let them park RV at home. Somebody does not like the fish smell of neighbors boat, complains to city councilman. Council talks about it a few times, nobody shows up to speak against new reg, so they do what voters want.
And to the people talking about collage sports a "better deal"? The players don't get paid, but often the coach is the highest paid state employee...

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New rules considered for NCAA college athletes -- they can sell themselves in commercials or their likeness for $$$ ... Does that make them amateurs or Pros?

When will it end??? High school, middle school. KG? Birth?

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

New rules considered for NCAA college athletes -- they can sell themselves in commercials or their likeness for $$$ ... Does that make them amateurs or Pros?

When will it end??? High school, middle school. KG? Birth?

Coaches make millions, colleges make tens of millions, shoe companies make hundreds of millions, - when will it end?

It's only fair that they make some money, many don't have resources as demonstrated by how many get in trouble for taking no show jobs and handouts from alumni and coaches.

I gave up on watching football decades ago. Used to love Oklahoma vs Nebraska (Johnny Rodgers!) games in the early 70's watching w my father.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I gave up on all NFL games when they stopped showing high school and university marching bands at halftime. Haven't missed watching them at all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to be a die-hard NFL fan. I had my favorite team(s) but Sunday afternoon and evening, and Monday & Thursday nights would find me watching whoever was playing. Once they started kneeling I ditched the NFL, packed up all of the memorabilia, and started watching more college ball. I was surprised at how much it had improved! But now there's talk of the college teams kneeling. If that happens then so much for Saturday afternoons; I'll just start making more sawdust! I watch sports for entertainment; not to view someone's political statement.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same here been a diehard NFL fan since the late 60's.....NBA fan since Chamberlain.

Now the arrogants, entitlement and kneeling has me covering my head in embarrassment.

Still go to Cincinnati several times a year to see the Reds play.
They kneel and I'm out before the first pitch.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same with me - Die-hard baseball fan since the 60's ... and NFL and NBA -- nothing now but MLB. But if MLB begins kneeling, this fan is gone. Politics does not belong on my sports broadcasts.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Without getting political....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.