Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Without getting political....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Without getting political....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

All I know is that I would be fired for protesting on "company time". I'm free to protest as much as I want on my own time, but when I get to work, I agree to certain restrictions to remain employed. Of course, I'm free to quit if I don't agree with those restrictions. When an athlete, especially a pro athlete steps on that field, he or she is working for or representing an organization or someone. Now if that organization/someone agrees to allow them to protest while working, that is up to the organization/someone. In that case, I can exercise my right to not support that franchise/sport.
Absolutely, that's where the "It's a free country" part comes in. So far as I know, the organizations have not forbidden the particular form of self-expression demonstrated by their employees.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

All I know is that I would be fired for protesting on "company time". I'm free to protest as much as I want on my own time, but when I get to work, I agree to certain restrictions to remain employed.

And I agree with that. I fired a driver on the spot when I saw the stars an bars hanging behind the seats of my truck. No way that is going to fly with my name on the door. His Dad, a O/O that worked with me, got mad about it, put a bug screen with that sign. He lost his truck because our costumers did not want him on the job.

Quote:

Of course, I'm free to quit if I don't agree with those restrictions. When an athlete, especially a pro athlete steps on that field, he or she is working for or representing an organization or someone. Now if that organization/someone agrees to allow them to protest while working, that is up to the organization/someone. In that case, I can exercise my right to not support that franchise/sport.

The 1st amendment does not mean a non-gov organisation can not restrict my speech. But IMHO, NFL can not claim to be a non-gov organisation when the taxpayers pay for the theater for their show.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, once the NFL willfully opted to introduce politics (due to appeasement) into what had intended to be a relaxing respite from partisan realities, they doomed the sport and I simply moved on...

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NASCAR finally pushed me away in February, and just when I was considering trying the NFL again....I’m done with them! Part of an “ever growing” list of things that we will not participating in! memtb

* This post was edited 07/09/20 07:43am by memtb *

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

But IMHO, NFL can not claim to be a non-gov organisation when the taxpayers pay for the theater for their show.

The National Football League is the world’s most profitable league. Each of the NFL’s 32 teams is among the top 50 most valuable sports franchises. 31 of these teams are privately owned.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

But IMHO, NFL can not claim to be a non-gov organisation when the taxpayers pay for the theater for their show.

The National Football League is the world’s most profitable league. Each of the NFL’s 32 teams is among the top 50 most valuable sports franchises. 31 of these teams are privately owned.

I would guess they have done cost/benefit analysis on their stance and feel like they will pick up enough new fans who are happy with their change to offset the ones that they will lose. I guess time will tell.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Yes league and teams are profitable. And the teams are privately owned. But the profitable, privately owned teams are known to tell the taxpayers of the area "Build us a new stadium" or in other cases "Upgrade the stadium" or we move.
IMHO, that field they are kneeling on is public property, which means restricting speech a 1st amendment issue. And playing the anthem is speech everybody must hear.
Of course one way to solve the issue would be just drop the ceremony and play football.

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m 76 now, and in my entire life, I’ve never had the slightest interest sitting in front of a screen with eyes glued to a bunch of people running around a field throwing or kicking a ball. That goes for other sports, such as wrestling and boxing. Sometimes I will concede and watch a little gymnastics, but maybe that’s because of the pretty contestants. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just watch it for the kneeling then cut it off.....illiteracy can be entertaining.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When "Ferret Face" Al Davis, started the financial game hop from Oakland to Los Angeles I dreaded what was to follow. It cut a full half of my interest I'm football out of my life.

Subsequently the rest of the drama has eliminated all interest. And my football following started in 1955. With the 49'ers.so no more... not even the playoffs or Superbowl.

For my emotional and physical health I have no regrets.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Without getting political....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.