Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Climbing steep grades...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Climbing steep grades...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/20 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mrgunguy wrote:

12th Man Fan wrote:

Do you hear your fan clutch engage?Might not be able to hear it on thet type of engine but on my disel it sounds like a jet taking off. Might check and make sure the fan is operating correctly.

I was told that the “jet taking off” sound is the overdrive kicking in and not what I want to hear when climbing. Whenever I hear that sound I know that I’m on a hill and I need to downshift. I’m guessing the fan is okey dokey.

That Jet taking off sound is is indeed your fan clutch kicking in and it is what you need to hear when climbing,On my old Class A with that same motor that was what you wanted to hear.

A fix for the over heating is to get a severe duty clutch fan to replace the stock one,did that it ran much cooler.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would add a scangauge.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mrgunguy

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had a long talk with the wife about this and I’ve come to a conclusion...

We plan to take the trip to Yellowstone next year instead of this one. Pressure off.

In the meantime we will take a short trip for a short time. Afriend has an RV park about an hour and a half from my home, high atop Roan Mountain yet well within AAA range. We will give it a good shake down and determine (with the info gleaned here) what works, what does not work and how hot it gets. If everything is actually okay and I’m being a big weenie about it, then we might even go to Yellowstone this year. If, as I suspect, there is some heat issue that needs to be attended to, in whatever fashion my mechanic deems necessary, I have a year to get it done before we go on the big trip. I’m getting old, but I think I have at least another year in me. [emoticon]

Personally, I see a transmission cooler in my not-too-distant future. Even if it’s not 100% needed, it would make me feel better. Thanks everyone for their two cents. It has been quite a learning experience.

Mrgunguy

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I would add a scangauge.

I was looking at those and I don’t see that the ScanGaugeII monitors transmission temps. The one for truckers does, but the standard one does not.

* This post was edited 06/16/20 10:33pm by Mrgunguy *

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/20 04:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mrgunguy wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

I would add a scangauge.

I was looking at those and I don’t see that the ScanGaugeII monitors transmission temps. The one for truckers does, but the standard one does not.

Yes it does. Some settings have to loaded using X Gauge input.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Super C Group Forum

Mrgunguy

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Danka!!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nine % qualifies as steep on American highways. In Canada, they can be 12% easliy and sometimes more. Small secondary roads can be really steep. Stay on the main roads and watch your gauges. Don't pull hills in overdrive.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mrgunguy wrote:

I’m afraid that this will be too much and the coach will overheat when I’m 1,500 miles away from home and on the side of a mountain.

2003 ? Have you checked with a radiator shop ?

I had the same symptoms as you are having while towing even on 'not so steep' hills.

The shop pulled my radiator out and I believe they boiled it, pressure tested it and replaced it. They said it had a degree of crud inside that restricted flow.

Mrgunguy

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

Mrgunguy wrote:

I’m afraid that this will be too much and the coach will overheat when I’m 1,500 miles away from home and on the side of a mountain.

2003 ? Have you checked with a radiator shop ?

I had the same symptoms as you are having while towing even on 'not so steep' hills.

The shop pulled my radiator out and I believe they boiled it, pressure tested it and replaced it. They said it had a degree of crud inside that restricted flow.

I’m pretty sure that’s what my mechanic is going to tell me. When I bought it five years ago I took it to the Chevy dealer locally, and they charged me as much as they reasonably could for... I’m not 100% sure what. I plan on taking it to my own mechanic (who says he doesn’t work on RVs but I bet I c an talk him into it) and I know he will do everything he can to make it right. He actually owns a rig similar to mine and I’m betting he will treat it as his own. He will also be familiar with ways to beef up EVERYTHING, as is his way.

But this I won’t do until I drive it and can give him more accurate and relevant information. I’m feeling a short camping trip in my future. [emoticon]

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would certainly add a transmission cooler. I lost a tranny to over heating because the radiator was plugged. At that time the transmission radiator was internal to the main radiator.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Climbing steep grades...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.