Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Do You Trust Hitch Locks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Tow Bars

> Do You Trust Hitch Locks?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 11:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

The lock keeps some one from (as a prank ???) removing the pin while parked at rest area or at truck stop.

Or Walmart? That's where I'm more likely to be parked. But it sounds like I need to re-check all connections when we leave, if we stop to do some shopping along the way.

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the Blue Ox locks and they work well. You do have to keep them well lubricated as they really take a beating when driving in the rain. There have been several discussion on this topic with many comments about locks making it harder for someone to fiddle with your hitch vs. non-locking pins making it easier to unhitch the toad car in the event of a fire.

Even with locking pins, it's a good idea to always do a check of the hitch before hitting the road. Anytime I stop while on the road, I do a walk around and check tires, hitch, etc.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always used a hitch pin to connect the hitch to the receiver. I do use a locking pin for towing my camper, along with a lock on the "hitch lock" for the slide latch on the hitch, just the simple Masterlock set from Walmart. Just makes one more "check" to do to make everything is hooked up, and to prevent things from coming unhitched.

Bolting the hitch to the receiver would certainly be secure, but I've never done it.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a locking pin in the truck receiver. After putting up with it for months, I put it in the motorhome receiver.
Why, you may ask?
Because the truck frequently has to be changed from 1 7/8 ball to 2 inch ball to 2 5/16 ball, then back to 1 7/8, then just for gits and shiggles toss in the bed extender! What a nuisance that locked pin was!
The motorhome, however, rarely gets changed from 2 inch to 1 7/8 inch ball and back again (depending on whether the Jeep or ATV trailer is to be towed).

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A number of years ago we were southbound from Springfield, MO to Branson and stopped in a diner for lunch. There were 2-3 other class A's with toads in the lot as well . When we came out there were a number of police officers present.I found one rig had it's toad stolen. Seems it didn't have any locked pins and it had the key in the ignition. See it coming? Yep, gone. Your choice how you tow.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess my rationale is a bit different. I don't want to be 'locked' to the towed. Nothing wrong with a pin thru the bolt holding the hitch insert in place -
I check the hookup a couple or three times on a 200 mile trip.
I have this thing about fire. When we had a pusher I worried about fire and trying to unhitch the towed and being unable to unlock the pin holding it to the Jeep, or the Jeep catching fire and both burning up as I struggle to disconect them. Just a phobia I know, but my phobia and I'll take my chances on a stolen or lost pin.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Tow Bars

> Do You Trust Hitch Locks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.