cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What "NAME" can you call that Class B?

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Class Bs, do keep changing, and soon if not already we will see a fully four seasoned Class B van. My question is very straight forward and asks a simple question. A class Bs have a Generator and I'm not referring to the one under the hood.

With class Bs rolling off the line to up-fitters who make them MH can also change vehicle model year. (So not a backyard up-fitter) And not a class B with a generator? and not fully electrical, What can you call the difference between a Motorhome Class B with a fully operational Generator and a Class B Motorhome with NO Generator (The UNDERHOOD Alternator "Generator" is not included)

So what would you call/NAME a Class B with no Generator and not fully electrical Class B? :h
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?
10 REPLIES 10

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
My B, 1997 Xplorer 230XL, does not have a generator. It's wired for it, but never had one. I sometimes take my Honda 2000 genny.

I just upgraded the house batts from a 105 AH regular to 2 100AH lithium. Unfortunately my health precludes me from using my MH for maybe a year. I'm in the hospital now recovering from a stem cell transplant.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
... there's nothing that will run an RV A/C other than shore power or a generator.

Oops. You might want to take a look at what people are doing with Lithium batteries... Winnebago running AC off Batteries for 12 hours. Then they add a UHG and charge back up while traveling the next day.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Songbirds wrote:

It took me a while but at long last, I found a name? for a Class B, C, and even a Class A that operates without the aid of a GENERATOR, But there are some items you can not live without MOST OF THE TIME to beat the HEAT, Cook, Shower and sleep in comfort. SO this is the best name that seems to work. Your thoughts?

"PURE SINE, SOLAR"

I think you need a lesson in amperage. Anything that creates heat or air conditioning, draws a LOT of amps. Unless you are exclusively camping in the mountains or high desert - you will want air conditioning. And there's nothing that will run an RV A/C other than shore power or a generator. Many of the privately-converted vans can run off solar power as long as they don't have A/C and use a fossil-fueled heat & hot water system. I can stay comfortable all night using my Fantastic Fan and 2-battery 12 v system in temperate weather; but we still opt for shore power to run the coffee maker, for example. If you want to read about setting up a solar-powered system (and what it can do) - go to FarOutRide.com. Antoine and Isabelle live full-time in their converted van; and are both engineers. They go into details about the electrical systems and figuring how many amps you need.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see that a generator has anything to do with being or not being a Class B. When I ordered my first rig, I excluded the option for a generator as I knew that i wouldn't need one. But I did order the set-up package with wiring as needed in case the next owner wished to add one. Either way... it has zero to do with its being a B.

My second rig was a Class C. It came standard with an Onan. I loathed the **** thing... aggravating to always have to be exercising... and never worked the few times I needed it. But, it did constantly need $200-500 in parts to keep it running. I swore that I would never own another.

My last two rigs are both classic Class B rigs with no stupid Onan. Instead I have the wonderful 2nd alternator that does what the Onan did with no aggravation and no exercising and no expensive maintenance. I love my so called "underhood generator." While I will continue to own a Class B rig, I will never have another Onan generator.

As they have nothing to do with the definition of a Class B
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Songbirds wrote:
Class Bs, do keep changing, and soon if not already we will see a fully four seasoned Class B van. My question is very straight forward and asks a simple question. A class Bs have a Generator and I'm not referring to the one under the hood.

With class Bs rolling off the line to up-fitters who make them MH can also change vehicle model year. (So not a backyard up-fitter) And not a class B with a generator? and not fully electrical, What can you call the difference between a Motorhome Class B with a fully operational Generator and a Class B Motorhome with NO Generator (The UNDERHOOD Alternator "Generator" is not included)

So what would you call/NAME a Class B with no Generator and not fully electrical Class B? :h

It took me a while but at long last, I found a name? for a Class B, C, and even a Class A that operates without the aid of a GENERATOR, But there are some items you can not live without MOST OF THE TIME to beat the HEAT, Cook, Shower and sleep in comfort. SO this is the best name that seems to work. Your thoughts?

"PURE SINE, SOLAR"
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to tell you what I got out of your original post was trying to decide a different name for a class b with or without a gen. Your second post didn’t help much. A class b is a class b regardless of gen. I’d call it a class B with no gen?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
It appears you may not be up to speed on the new Class B power systems. And I'm sure you fully read what I posted above? and know you can now RUN A/C parked for 8 to 10-hours, with no shore power.

I re-read my post wondering how you only took away "GENERATOR" from the post as that was not the question, I had asked? I thought I made the point very clear. What about this

WITHOUT A CLASS B GENERATOR, IN THE VAN, WHAT WOULD YOU NAME THE VAN power system?

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with magicbus (Dave). We run our generator for the convection oven and that's about it. Like Dave, I exercise it more than I use it but it is nice to have and I keep it well maintained. It was marvelous during an ice storm a few years ago when we lost power for four days. We ran it for an hour every four or five hours (using extension cords we keep for that purpose) for an hour to keep the refrig going in the house and powering the blower on our natural gas fired HVAC. That emergency use and always the prospect of another power outage is enough to keep me happy maintaining it.

What is a B? Traditionally and classically it is any van converted to a camper or small motorhome. If it starts out as a van, it is a B regardless of whether or not it has a genset.

All that got confused about 2003 or so when Gulfstream started making the BT Cruiser and calling a C without a bed over the cab a B+. Now, it is a generally accepted term after a dozen years of arguments on this and other forums. I got worn out on this forum from those threads.

Who cares what you call it? Let's just have some fun. Whether it is a VW bus from the sixties or a diesel pusher dated 2020 we are all doing the same thing: enjoying our lives.

Paul
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
There are already enough names for class b and almost class b units. A generator is just an option. I'm sure glad to have it to run the A/C though!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
A class B. I'm not sure there is a "requirement" for a class B to have a generator. Heck, I bet there are plenty of Class B's running around with broken generators :C. In fact I use my generator more exercising it than I do generating needed electricity. I would be just as happy with a big enough inverter to run the microwave when we stop for lunch and skip the genset.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36