cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5.9 Cummins Diesel Towing capacity

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking very seriously at a 5vr that total GVWR is 15,000 pounds.
My dodge dually is 2001 dually. JUst had the tranny completely rebuilt and it has been chipped. Not sure about being able to pull such a load over a mountain pass. Please advise asap???
Thanks so much
38 REPLIES 38

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info. IMO exceeding RAWR is probably not a good idea. Some people think as long as your tires will hold you up... ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surprised me too.
The old 5er was a Jayco 3 slide with a rear bunk to counter balance the pin weight, a side kitchen over the wheels, and a big slide in the bunk room. 38 feet long.
The newer 5er is a Blue Ridge rear lounge 3 slide 35 feet long.
The overhang is heavier due to the king bed, and the entire kitchen is forward of the axles. Granite counters and a center island don't help.
This puts the rear axle weight and the payload over the load rating and we left some things at home as it was only a 5 night trip.
Tire ratings are OK, the front axle weight is well below spec, and towing capacity is ok. I'd just as soon not tempt fate.
Puma 30RKSS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Our newer 5er is a different floor plan and has me looking for a truck."

Just curious, but how does a different floor plan have you looking for a truck? Just wondering mind you.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without actual weights this is all conjecture. Our last 5er was so far within specs it was redic. Our newer 5er is a different floor plan and has me looking for a truck.
Both 5ers were 14k GVWR. Rear axle weights were CAT scaled 1000 lbs different but neither 5er came within 1000 lbs of that 14000 GVWR. Oddly the front axle weights were exactly the same when the newer 5er was scaled with the truck and then just the truck. I thought that was odd.
Puma 30RKSS

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m running ARP head studs on my 5.9. This is necessary due to the increase pressures associated with the 150 hp gain. I donโ€™t run at max because I donโ€™t have to. If the 5.9 were stock, it would be running at max, all the time and something will certainly break. Good driving skill, and Good understanding Of how your engine uses horsepower and torque is the key to longevity and worry free towing. Anything other than that is abusing your equipment and it is going to fail. If those modifications are not your thing, get a newer tow vehicle with worry free mechanicals. Iโ€™m fortunate to have both worlds.
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

Itโ€™s not what youโ€™ve done that commands respect, itโ€™s what you do.

Happy Campinโ€™

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
billy1davis wrote:
We are looking very seriously at a 5vr that total GVWR is 15,000 pounds.
My dodge dually is 2001 dually. JUst had the tranny completely rebuilt and it has been chipped. Not sure about being able to pull such a load over a mountain pass. Please advise asap???
Thanks so much

You might consider the *Tow Vehicles* forum (here).
Of course, many "brand loyal" posters there.

Soooooo.....

Next - go to the many forums for diesel pickups - for/of the specific brand/s you are interested in. (forum names via Google)

Check the "help" (etc) sections to see what kind/s of problems *owners* are encountering (if any).

Roll on!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful about what kind of tuner you have. Make sure it is suitable for towing. I would be monitoring engine manifold and trans temp carefully. To me it is asking a lot from a truck, but some people seem to tow 15k pounds like it is nothing.

I have to believe max throttle is hard on engines. No reason for them to work that hard.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 16" Bridgestone R250's on the 3 axle toyhauler speed rated 99mph. The 5.9 hummin Cummins has a time getting them going to max. I run throttle at max. I run tire psi's at max. I run weight at max +/-. I just need to get speed to max and it will be perfect.

Signed,
Max

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Durb wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Poor ol Durb. So we haul a little extra weight. My truck is a 15 year old DRW and I don't know what weight is where but it runs level and has about 165,000 mi on it towing. Total weight is right at 23,000lbs. This thing tows sweet at 70 or up the grades. 4.10 gears and automatic.

Hey Billy Davis, there is your answer, "So we haul a little extra weight." Just disregard vehicle ratings and engineered manufacturer specifications. They did it so you should be fine.

By the way, just tow that trailer at 70 MPH even though your tires will probably be rated for 65 MPH maximum. Ferndaleflyer does it so you should be fine.

OP is not likely to be over any ratings except GCWR which is HP and gears.
Tires the LTโ€™s on my 5er are rated at 103 mph.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
12 valve 1,250

24 valve 1,300

Pyro in exhaust manifold
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry Burb didn't mean to ruffle your feathers----I in no way suggested what the OP should do only what I have done....But when you reach my age and have towed as much as I have with no accidents, tickets, etc I feel I can relate a fact---right or wrong.....And my 10 ply tires are fine at 70, did I say my trailer has 3 axels also if that means anything

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with 1200 as the max. Sometimes I wish I had a manual to make it easier to switch to a particular gear rather than playing with the overdrive button.

Ron
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjsurfer wrote:
What would you guys call a safe max EGT temperature?

My 03 Cummins 5.9 is equipped with heavy duty (triple disc/solid billit shaft) 47RE tranny, 4" exhaust, modified air intake and tuner.

Thanks

Ron W
Personally I try to avoid being over 1200ยฐ if I can help it. I have hit that a few times when I wasn't paying attention, but it's not something I do on a regular basis. Some people have said not over 1400ยฐ, but that just seems to be pushing it too much for me. Generally dropping a gear and increasing the RPM will get the temps back down.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Poor ol Durb. So we haul a little extra weight. My truck is a 15 year old DRW and I don't know what weight is where but it runs level and has about 165,000 mi on it towing. Total weight is right at 23,000lbs. This thing tows sweet at 70 or up the grades. 4.10 gears and automatic.

Hey Billy Davis, there is your answer, "So we haul a little extra weight." Just disregard vehicle ratings and engineered manufacturer specifications. They did it so you should be fine.

By the way, just tow that trailer at 70 MPH even though your tires will probably be rated for 65 MPH maximum. Ferndaleflyer does it so you should be fine.