cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2000 Bounder Electrical Problem

TCmart
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Just returned from a 1500 mile trip to Florida. My Fleetwood Bounder with the V10 engine started to turn off abruptly whenever I hit a bump in the roadway. Sometimes it would restart on its own and other times I had to shift into neutral while rolling along at 55 mph and restart it with the key.
It started every time but it was more than nerve wracking.
I checked all battery connections, cleaned, tightened and even ran another ground wire to the engine block.
I then replaced the ignition switch in the steering column.
The problem persists.
Any experience with this problem or any tips on where to look next would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Tom and Christine
2000 Bounder 34T
Life is Good!
13 REPLIES 13

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure it would help but if it is 2000 it should have a connection to check it with a scanner. It may throw you a code to help track it. Most parts stores can code it for you!!

Hope this helps!
Dad
Living The Dream- Not full timing but wintering in Texas
Lifes So Short--Let's go Rv'ing :W

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A joke I tell folks is "The biggest problem with motor homes is:" then I hold up the key ring "They all fit".

Have you reduced the load on the key cylinder?

Now modern steering column mounted locks the cylinder gear drives a slider in most cases but if it wears enough it might miss a tooth. (I don't think so)

But it does sound like a screw loose. or a loose nut. or other bad connection. This can be a barber shop visit saving job (After you pull all your hair out you don't need the barber)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Jiggling the key will NOT have any effect on your problem. The key is connected to the ignition switch by a long rod. The ignition switch is under the dash on top of the steering column. Check that connection.

In most automotive applications the alternator will keep the engine running without the battery BUT you coach has a chassis battery disconnect relay. If your alternator charges the battery and the disconnect relay fails when you hit a bump, your engine dies.
Move all the large wires on the disconnect relay to one terminal and see if the problem goes away. Disconnect relay is in the Battery Control Center. Wiring schematic in inside of BCC cover.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a loose connection or corrosion but it could be many different things in the electrical system. It is hard to find intermittent problems, it needs to act up to find it. Good luck let us know when you figure it out.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Bruce_Brown
jdc1 wrote:
Since you DON'T need a battery to keep a vehicle running (the alternator will do that), it has to be an ignition problem.

I don't know if its the case with the OPs MH, but some newer vehicles do need a healthy battery to run. Want to ask me how I know? :B

Given the vintage of the OPs MH, I suspect it might.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

TCmart
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. .i cleaned the ground wire to bare metal and added an additional ground wire to make sure it was a solid connection.
I jiggled the key, the engine kept running.
The red cutoff switch is fully depressed.
I'm moving on to jiggling and thumping!
Tom and Christine
2000 Bounder 34T
Life is Good!

TCmart
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. A good friend is a truck mechanic and he said he would take a look at it. His suggestion was to pull wires and shake relays to see if we can replicate it in the shop.
I'll let you know if we're successful.
Tom and Christine
2000 Bounder 34T
Life is Good!

Lt46
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the inertia switch's red button, make sure it is completely depressed.The inertia switch is on the floor/firewall behind or near the brake pedal. In a collision/rollover it is supposed to kill power to the fuel pump.
Peter & Dawn
[black] 97 Winnebago Adventurer 37RW [/black]
F53/460 w/ tag axle
[black] 96 Prowler 27X SOLD[/black]
IAFF L-792 (Ret.)

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Well you have done all the normal things time to consider where is 12vDC mandatory to keep the engine running?
Majority of electrical problems turn out th be a bad ground.
Time to start jerking on wires and thumping fuses with the engine running.
Solenoids
Fuel pump
Distributor
Computer
???

Good luck and post back what you find.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
with it running take the key and jiggle it a little to the off position and see if it cuts off

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
take the ground wire OFF the frame clean to bare metal and reinstall. ground problems are the cause off 99% of electrical troubles.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you DON'T need a battery to keep a vehicle running (the alternator will do that), it has to be an ignition problem. When I say "ignition" I don't mean the starter or key section. Look at how an older vehicle operates. The coil and distributor provide the electricity to the plugs (in your case, coils). I'm far from being an automotive guru, but, I would think your problem lies in the ignition distribution......maybe even a computer connection.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It takes battery power to run. My guess would be to start at the chassis battery disconnect for loose connections.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker