cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas Buddy 25 cents off ??

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Gas Buddy claims up to 25 cents off per gallon. Why do they say "up to"? What determines how much you do get off? And when do you get 25 cents off? Ever? Is there at least a minimum savings whenever their card is used?

Since the savings are vague I am not sure whether to sign up for a GB card or not. Is it worth while?

Any feedback would be appreciated....

Thanks!
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
7 REPLIES 7

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
TC&Z wrote:
Why do they say "up to"?

For the same reason sales flyers say up to 50% OFF* or Hotels advertise as low as $59.97* a night, or Free Shipping*. It's the "*" that is important.

Gas Buddy offers different discounts based on where you are in the program, or how much gasoline you bought, or which station you're using. In some cases, you won't even know the discount until after the transaction is completed.

I use a program that offers up to $1.50 off per gallon on gas. But to get that I have to use a specific rewards card, have a minimum number of rewards credits, use their credit card at their affiliate stations. Otherwise it's less. Many will see the $1.50 off and consider signing up. Wouldn't get as many if it said average savings of only $0.40 per gallon. Nope, UP TO numbers sounds so much better.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, that's all I use gas buddy it let me know the cheapest fuel.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use gas buddy online only to locate the lower prices as we travel. Works for us. When everyone is at 2.19 for gas and we find the station that's still at 1.72 to fill the motorhome, well worth our few minutes to use it.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes for gas at Costco, even mid day. But I do try to never get gas on a weekend and usually go in the morning or evening. The Costco gas near me is open until 9:30 on weeknights. I drive up anytime between 6pm and 9pm and there are maybe four people in the whole station.

As far as GasBuddy, I used it for a while many years ago. But I never really found it all that useful. Sure I found it fun to try to update prices when I could. But then I found myself paying more attention tying to update prices than paying attention to the road. So in the end I just stopped using it. So no I don't have their card and I wouldn't use one. Just like I don't like to go to stores where I get a discount off some items by joining their club.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Y-Guy
Reisender wrote:
From what I gather Costco is cheaper but every time we see one there are 45 minute lineups everyday all day.

Thankfully my Costco is never like that, I know where all the Costco Gas Stations are along my routes, mostly in the Northwest, even the busy one in Portland Oregon never takes 45 minutes, backed up like that photo takes about 20. But they also pump the gas so they are more efficient then having drivers do it. They encourage motorhomes to get in the far right late so they will close off late behind you, they know a 75 gallon tank takes a while.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Y-Guy wrote:
I don't play their games. I used to love GasBuddy but it's way to much gimmicks and advertising now. Their "card" was the final straw. I save more by just going to Costco to fuel up. I switched to Gas Guru, only 1 add. But since I aim for Costco, even on trips, I just check the Costco app.

From what I gather Costco is cheaper but every time we see one there are 45 minute lineups everyday all day. Palm Springs is like this every day. Is it actually that much cheaper?

I notice Sams club has diesel. Kinda tight getting the coach in and out though. Not sure if they are that much cheaper as there line ups don't seem to be as long as Costco.

Full disclosure, I have no idea on the price of gas. Motorhome is diesel and cars are electric that we charge at home.

Y-Guy
I don't play their games. I used to love GasBuddy but it's way to much gimmicks and advertising now. Their "card" was the final straw. I save more by just going to Costco to fuel up. I switched to Gas Guru, only 1 add. But since I aim for Costco, even on trips, I just check the Costco app.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon