Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Issue - Automatic Transfer Switch

radvans
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

My trailer has had an an issue with the what I assume is the ATS over the last year.

Originally the issue came about when were we were camping at a full hook up site. AC wouldn't run and no power to the rig through the shore cord, but everything worked when I ran the generator.

Once home I did research and it appeared the issue had to be the ATS as everything worked when the generator/battery were running but nothing worked/charged when plugged into the shore. No big deal should be an easy swap. Well, we got a new trailer, and I neglected the one with the issue.

Moving to present day, I need to get the trailer working, but now the trailer won't power anything when the generator runs, but it will work on shore power. The AC's and all work on shore power. So, it appears that the ATS has now defaulted to shore power.

I've traced the power from the shore and generator to the fuse/breaker board in the trailer. I can get power to the fuses from the generator but nothing past that, but I can when plugged into the shore. So, Im sure everything is working to the power board. I expected to find an ATS in line with the shore cord/generator but after taking everything apart both sources run directly to the power board, there doesn't seem to be an external ATS junction. I've watch plenty of youtube videos and even purchase an ATS, but I can't find it anywhere on the rig.

What I do see is what appears to be an automatic ATS module in the power board. In between the fuses and breakers, when I pull the whole power board out there is a module that is labelled ATS50 and it appears that all the main feed lines from the generator/shore run into this circuit board. It appears that the transfer happens on an electronic level as opposed to the more mechanical ATS I was expecting to see.

I've called to Forest River, but they say I need to bring it in for them to troubleshoot but I just can't afford that. I also can't find anything that references an ATS as part of the main power board. There is also no markings on the power board that would help to order something, it only says ATS50 with a small wiring diagram.

OK, so that is a little background. My ask is if anyone would know what part I would be looking for when asking for a replacement for this module. Maybe it is separate or maybe it's the whole fuse/breaker power panel that has to be replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2007 Forest River Sandpiper 40SPTS 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
9 REPLIES 9

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
radvans wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

There is no markings on the breaker/bus/fuse area. No numbers of any sort that identify it.

The rig is 50amp.
The ATS will be between the shore power cord and the main junction box, you are just going to have to find it. Both the shore power cord and the power cord coming from the gen will go in the ATS and then one line goes out to the Jbox.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the ATS in our 6 yr old 5ver 2 years ago. Only one leg would run on shore power - everything worked on Gen. Opened the ATS and could see that one of the AC solenoids was not functioning correctly, so I replaced it. Easy to get to in my rig and about an hour job.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a transfer switch in our Winnebago the first one failed in a year and they replaced it under warranty. The currents one worked for a few years. Iโ€™d just replace it
Winnebago Access 24V

radvans
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

There is no markings on the breaker/bus/fuse area. No numbers of any sort that identify it.

The rig is 50amp.

Y-Guy
I had a very similar issue with my 2005 Raptor's ATS. My ATS was behind a wall inside of the front compartment pretty close to where the 50amp cable plug was located. Surprisingly hard to access. With all power off I took the cover off the ATS and tapped it several times with the butt end of a screw driver, and magically when I plugged it in things worked... for a while. I had do pull that trick a few times before I had it replaced. From what others said is they do not play well around dust or dirt, though I think mine was just faulty.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Since the module says ATS50 I assume this is a 50 amp rv.
Post the brand and model number of the breaker/fuse panel would be helpful.

Otherwise Randy can probably set you up with what you need:
http://www.bestconverter.com/

Randy is the BEST! Bought a couple of converters, inverter, ATS, etc. from him over the years, his tech. support is awesome, he knows his stuff.

if the heavy gauge wires from the generator and shore power terminate at the lugs then I doubt there's an ATS, but I could be wrong. If you trailer is 50 amps then there are two hot feeds, one neutral and one ground. Each hot feeds one leg in your distribution panel (they're called a "Bus" and 1/2 of the breakers are connected to each Bus, may not be evenly distributed but you get the picture. Get a volt meter and check that you have 120 volts between each hot leg and neutral. You might be getting only one leg of power.

On shore power each leg is connected to a hot at the pedestal. On generator there's only one hot, therefore when running the generator, in order to get both bus hot there's a jumper between them, that jumper then drops out of the circuit on shore power; with an external ATS the jumper is on the output side of the ATS generator contactor.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since the module says ATS50 I assume this is a 50 amp rv.
Post the brand and model number of the breaker/fuse panel would be helpful.

Otherwise Randy can probably set you up with what you need:
http://www.bestconverter.com/

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Post the make and model of your converter?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker