cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVing with no mechanical capability

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen a lot of people suggest that one should not purchase an RV if one is not at least somewhat handy mechanically. Well, I am not handy mechanically at all and I'm also an old guy who cannot bend and crawl around in spaces trying to fix things I have no idea about.That being said:

Would appreciate detailed feedback from RV owners who are also not handy mechanically or physically but who went ahead anyway and purchased an RV. How are you all doing out there? Looking to purchase a used Class C, B, or Truck Camper. Not a Class A. Will have an RV mechanic go over it in detail before purchase to insure that most everything is at least in working order, there are no leaks, and there is no structural breakdown. I am not going to purchase an extended service plan as I hear they are mostly scams. However, I will purchase good RV insurance and a good roadside assistance plan.

Ok, take me through the pros and cons, the good, the bad, and the ugly if you will. Very interested to hear from others that have gone through a similar situation.

Thank You in advance for your able assistance.

Dave
32 REPLIES 32

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Floridastorm wrote:
will have to stick with a somewhat older model that is in very good condition in accordance with a professional rv inspection service.
There's been quite a resurgence in RV ownership, and, since many of them will end up doing more time in the storage yard than the campground, this might be good for you. Rving looks glamorous in the ads, but that wears off quickly when peeps realize it's a lot more work or hassle than they expected.

I don't know if it's too early for that to happen, but maybe...?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I'm not mechanically inclined but we have rv'ed in Mexico now for 20 years. One trip alone pulling the travel trailer a fuel pump went out on the SUV. Tow truck came, I spent the night at the mechanic's and got it fixed.

Second event fan clutch issues and the SUV died. Granted it's a 2005 but got it going again. ´´

We did a 10,000 mile trip through Mexico, the U.S. and Canada, no issues whatsoever.

I can change a tire, a belt and a hose so if it is outside of that it would be up to a mechanic anyway.

The travel trailer is basic with no bells or whistles so it's like basic home repairs which I can do.

Don't let it stop you. My only advice is the least amount of bells and whistle the better off anyone is.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
My opinion--your may vary:
If OP has the money, go for it. A good place to find a reliable mobile RV mechanic is ask the campground management--likely they'll know good or bad. Anyone who is not mechanically comfortable should stay the heck away from gas or electric work. I would suggest anyone starting this adventure for the first time, stay with new or late model. Remember if shopping for new that the profit margin is 35% with a lot of room for negotiation.

I guess if I wanted to go into debt for 15 or 20 years then I could get a new or nearly new motor home. Unfortunately, will have to stick with a somewhat older model that is in very good condition in accordance with a professional rv inspection service. I would count on them to do a through inspection and tell me if there is anything wrong with the unit before I purchase it. I know there is no guarantee. But, an inspection can limit the possibility of things breaking down. Brand new Class C's cost as much as the best houses used to cost and some still do cost. A great expense that I don't need at my age.

Thanks for the info though.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
My opinion--your may vary:
If OP has the money, go for it. A good place to find a reliable mobile RV mechanic is ask the campground management--likely they'll know good or bad. Anyone who is not mechanically comfortable should stay the heck away from gas or electric work. I would suggest anyone starting this adventure for the first time, stay with new or late model. Remember if shopping for new that the profit margin is 35% with a lot of room for negotiation.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman, that is quite a list.

I did replace the refrigerator in my RV. That was actually pretty simple, but rebuilding the cabinets above was a bigger task. I don't steam clean carpeting. Instead I have a vinyl floor and covered it with indoor/outdoor carpeting from Home Depot. I pull the whole carpet out and wash it on the driveway. Eventually I will just replace it with new. The cost was very reasonable.

Wash/wax is a whole other issue. Five years ago I switched to ZEP. That was the end of the work for both washing and waxing. The RV washes clean with just a hose. There aren't even any black streaks. I use a rag dampened in ZEP to refresh the surface every year or two. Most of the work is just moving the ladder or I guess I could get a long handle for the rag.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm not totally inept at some repairs.. I did install a new toilet, twice, replaced a black tank dump valve in very tight quarters, put several new 30a plugs on my shore cord, installed new household faucets, replaced worn propane hoses, replaced several water pumps, installed TPMS and repeater, and I'm sure more that I can't think of right now.

Things I can't or won't do include replacing a blower motor in a furnace, replace worn shackle straps on my suspension, install new shocks, replace refrigerator, wash/wax (used to, not any more), repack wheel bearings, steam clean carpet.

Just to give you an idea of all that needs to be done.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Floridastorm wrote:
I do have the funds to hire a mobile tech or even my personal handyman to handle the small to medium stuff. My cash reserves can even handle things like new AC, new refrigerator, new generator, tires, etc. Don't know if it can handle a new transmission, engine, extensive water damage, and similar.
And hopefully a way to replenish those funds, like charging a battery.

I guess the point is, don't get cheap up front and pay for it dearly later.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I'm one of those people that Gbopp talked about that has 3 bays full of tools and parts. I could also rebuild the engine and trans if I can get the MH home. In the 5 years that we have been extensively travelling since I retired, I have spent way more time working on other people's RVs than on mine. RVers are a friendly lot and you can always find someone willing to help when you are having an issue.

I say go for it and enjoy the trip.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Mechanical ability is not some sort of genetic attribute. Most of us learn how to do things the same way we learn other things. We have someone show us, or we spend time reading and learning on our own. If you are not willing to do that, you can count on spending a lot of money fixing simple repair and maintenance issues.

When my hot water heater stopped working, I googled and found common explanations and fixes. I tried cleaning the sensor which sort of worked. Then for $15 the next time it failed I replaced the sensor and fixed the issue.

On my last trip, the door latch broke and I was trapped inside. I got out a screwdriver and removed the latch. I was lucky. There was an RV parts place literally within one mile. With the help of the clerk, I bought the correct replacement and installed it within 5 minutes using all of 4 screws.

When my solar controller stopped working, I went to the nearest Camping World. I should have bought a new unit and put it in myself. Instead I had the technician install it. He screwed up and hooked up the wrong wires. The new unit fried and I had to stay another day while they sorted out their mistake.

If you are willing to apply a little effort, you can perform most repairs and maintenance requirements. If not, I have no idea what you expect to hear from others but you can count on spending more money and having to be at the mercy of wait times and incompetence at the RV repair centers.

I fear that I am just too old and not physically able to do most general repairs and maintenance. Also, when I do attempt to do minor fixes I usually do not do them completely correctly which ends up hiring a handyman anyway. As stated, I do have the funds to hire a mobile tech or even my personal handyman to handle the small to medium stuff. My cash reserves can even handle things like new AC, new refrigerator, new generator, tires, etc. Don't know if it can handle a new transmission, engine, extensive water damage, and similar. Those are the only things I'm a little nervous about. However, I would imagine most rv people never have to do that type of maintenance. A comprehensive roadside assistance plan should protect us when we are on the road so at least we have towing, motel, food, and car rental while our unit is being repaired.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I do as JimK described to try to save money. I search the internet. You can sometimes find amazing specific instructive videos on Youtube. I changed the hard drive and RAM in my very old laptop following a youtube video...and I mean the video was screw by screw for my specific model. I was so proud of myself! 🙂

We also try to watch any RV tech while they fix stuff on our RV so we can learn.

We have not had much trouble finding a mobile RV tech or shop in all our travels. Well, sometimes we had to make 3 or 4 phones calls to different places. But we have never been stuck out in the cold (or heat). And I agree that most will help you expediently if they know you are traveling.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mechanical ability is not some sort of genetic attribute. Most of us learn how to do things the same way we learn other things. We have someone show us, or we spend time reading and learning on our own. If you are not willing to do that, you can count on spending a lot of money fixing simple repair and maintenance issues.

When my hot water heater stopped working, I googled and found common explanations and fixes. I tried cleaning the sensor which sort of worked. Then for $15 the next time it failed I replaced the sensor and fixed the issue.

On my last trip, the door latch broke and I was trapped inside. I got out a screwdriver and removed the latch. I was lucky. There was an RV parts place literally within one mile. With the help of the clerk, I bought the correct replacement and installed it within 5 minutes using all of 4 screws.

When my solar controller stopped working, I went to the nearest Camping World. I should have bought a new unit and put it in myself. Instead I had the technician install it. He screwed up and hooked up the wrong wires. The new unit fried and I had to stay another day while they sorted out their mistake.

If you are willing to apply a little effort, you can perform most repairs and maintenance requirements. If not, I have no idea what you expect to hear from others but you can count on spending more money and having to be at the mercy of wait times and incompetence at the RV repair centers.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:

All valid points ! But finding a mobile tech or getting scheduled into a big RV dealer are major issues.

Mobile techs in particular...we've found that if they know you are traveling, they are often willing to move you up on the list but even if you take it into a shop, they often work with you if they know you are in a bind.

As others have said, money can solve most problems but lots of simple things, you should be able to figure out yourself.

We do a mix depending on if it's a job we feel capable of but sometimes it's more hassle than it's worth.
- Rebuilt the water pump and replaced the toilet seal over the last week.
- Sent the RV tech up on the roof to reseal (I've never been comfortable that the roof is designed to handle my big butt)

PS: Youtube is great to see how something goes together before you tear yours apart.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
That was us when we started RVIng back in the late 90's. Not a mechanical or electrical nodule in our bodies. Alas, over the years and several issues, upgrading, a lot of googling, and now we comfortably do the small stuff ourselves. Like greasing U bolts, maintaining batteries for Solar, winterizing, doing our own oil and filter changes, servicing our generator replacing filters, spark plugs etc. We just evolved over time as costs to pay door rates escalated Now with bad backs and aging it's not as easy so we try to find and direct some of the younger generations to learn and help LOL.

The two engine replacements of course we had to be towed into the shop and each year now, we have professionals check our 17 year old Motorhome over for safety issues, chassis checks etc.

Basically if you can use a screwdriver, pliers, funnels, spanners, and search you tube for your problems, you are over half way into keeping yourself going.

For what it's worth, in the early years with a newer rig, it used to grieve me when things broke or went wrong, now hubby and I take the attitude with everything as it happens and say "Tis wot Tis, and we can't control it so we need to deal and accept it".

Best advice we ever got was to always have an emergency fund. We try to keep ours currently, as close to $10K as we can for an A class gas motorhome (we'd do less for a non motorized vehicle). Replaced engines x 2 depleted it but we built it back up again slowly. Saved our bacon big time. We are personally finding our lack of tech knowledge is putting us off a lot of the newer more complicated at times rigs of today - for us the KISS principal works well for all systems "Keep It Simple Stupid". Far easier for repairs and replacements we find, when there's less to go wrong.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
You hire someone to fix stuff in your home. You have a car that you don't repair yourself. It's the same thing. Things inside the RV that brake down don't usually leave you stranded, fridge, heater, water pump, water heater can always get fixed later.

Really an excellent example. Of course, most of us do hire people to fix and do maintenance with our homes and vehicles. I know some people who are handymen but will not touch their car as they know nothing about today's cars. The only difference is that my car has a 10 year warranty which helps a lot.