Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: RVing with no mechanical capability
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> RVing with no mechanical capability

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Floridastorm

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen a lot of people suggest that one should not purchase an RV if one is not at least somewhat handy mechanically. Well, I am not handy mechanically at all and I'm also an old guy who cannot bend and crawl around in spaces trying to fix things I have no idea about.That being said:

Would appreciate detailed feedback from RV owners who are also not handy mechanically or physically but who went ahead anyway and purchased an RV. How are you all doing out there? Looking to purchase a used Class C, B, or Truck Camper. Not a Class A. Will have an RV mechanic go over it in detail before purchase to insure that most everything is at least in working order, there are no leaks, and there is no structural breakdown. I am not going to purchase an extended service plan as I hear they are mostly scams. However, I will purchase good RV insurance and a good roadside assistance plan.

Ok, take me through the pros and cons, the good, the bad, and the ugly if you will. Very interested to hear from others that have gone through a similar situation.

Thank You in advance for your able assistance.

Dave

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can not recommend proceeding. Even after a careful inspect, to many things break. If you are a long trip you would be at the mercy of who ever you can find who would claim they can fix your RV.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are in an area where a mobile tech is readily available, that is a good option. They will come to you, get the job done quickly, often cheaper than an RV dealer. Problem is with many RV service shops, is they are busy, so your rig may sit for weeks waiting for repair. A dealer may only have one good service guy, and a bunch of flunkies, but hourly rate same for all.

Jerry

evanrem

WI

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Money will solve most rv problems. I’m not in your situation but people are always happy to help out and it’s not like there are a ton of problems. Go look at some Rv’s and get a feel for them.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To make your decision simple, let me tell you a story from 40 years ago. My grandfather calls me from Phoenix Arizona telling me he cant shut off his generator. My grandfather is ANYTHING but dumb. Well, 8 hours later, he shows up at my parents home in Santa Ana California (350 miles), generator still running. I just opened up the genset cover and yanked the sparkplug wire. What would he have done if he was half way, stuck in the desert with an engine problem? This grandfather, at one time, owned three service stations in Kansas Ciry Kansas. He NEVER worked at any of them....he just owned them because of the investment income.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You hire someone to fix stuff in your home. You have a car that you don't repair yourself. It's the same thing. Things inside the RV that brake down don't usually leave you stranded, fridge, heater, water pump, water heater can always get fixed later.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have enough money, any problem can be solved. If you have a limited amount of money, you better know how to do things yourself. It really is that simple.

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most problems that you will have will not end your trip, they may just be an inconvenience. For the real bad stuff you can usually find a mobile mechanic that can come out and help. If you have a trailer or truck camper, you would at least be able to drop the trailer off somewhere and have it worked on while you stayed at a hotel, no extra car to rent. But you also have more work to set one up.

I would suggest that you go to a dealer and talk to them about what types of RVs will work best for your situation. Take that information and find a well maintained used unit that you can pay cash for. Start small and camp close to your house. Keep a list of the repairs that are needed and have multiple things fixed at once.

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

You hire someone to fix stuff in your home. You have a car that you don't repair yourself. It's the same thing. Things inside the RV that brake down don't usually leave you stranded, fridge, heater, water pump, water heater can always get fixed later.

I'm 60 y/o with a bad heart and slight stroke damage to my left side. I've had 3 back surgeries. I still RV. If it is something that I can do myself I will if not I hire a technician to address it. I also have a brother that is very good at helping when needed. I have replaced cooling unit on refrigerator, replaced roof AC, plumbing fixes etc. with help from brother or son in laws.

I'm not sure where you live but Google RV mobile repair and see what is around for you to choose from. If you purchase from a dealer check them out as well.

When you encounter a problem you can take pictures provide year make and model of RV and describe your problem in Tech Issues. You can also post asking if anyone knows of a reputable repair service in a location.

I would not let this stop me from traveling.

Dave

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Non-DIYers here. Motorhome-ing for about 30 years with about 5 different MHs. First, you definitely have to be able to afford repairs done by someone else (as previously mentioned). Second, you need to have a mindset that doesn't go crazy with upset and fear when something goes wrong.

It's good to have a trusted mechanic (for engine stuff) and RV tech (for all the other stuff) close to home. That way, you can get things fixed when home that aren't emergencies. That said, we have used lots and lots of repair shops, mobile techs, roadside assistance, etc. during our thousands and thousands of miles traveled in the USA and Canada over the years. Mostly good experiences, with a few not so good. But that's life, isn't it?

We've had our fuel pump suddenly stop working and a hole blown out in our exhaust system while driving on a freeway. We've had multiple mobile techs come out to us at campgrounds, even one that roadside assistance sent to Glacier Nat'l Park. We've stayed in the yard of multiple repair shops for the night. Etc. Etc.

We do try to be very good and consistent about keeping our engine, tires, and batteries maintained (by someone else...other than I check the water in the batteries)...so as to minimize getting stuck out on the road.

We used to go out and boondock on a lot of US Forest Service roads when we had a smaller MH without tow car, but we didn't go TOO far out.

All this is to say that IMO you can be a non-DIYer RVer. Just know what you're getting into.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> RVing with no mechanical capability
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.