Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: RVing with no mechanical capability
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> RVing with no mechanical capability

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many/most RV repairs are pretty simple and with a little guidance from people on this/other forums can be handled by almost anyone. As others have said you can always hire someone to perform the repairs

Kevin

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some RVers carry enough tools, equipment and parts to rebuild an engine/transmission along the side of the road.
Others travel only with a cell phone and credit card.
Most of us are somewhere in between.
Life is short. Travel and have fun. Fix what you can and pay someone to do the rest.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GBOPP said it all.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just have a fat wallet to go along with your RV. I can barely change a tire, but I was capable of doing my own solar.

As said, do what you can, pay for the rest. There's no shame in it.

I noticed you're buying used. Make that as near to new as you can afford. The older they get, the more problems you can expect.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

evanrem wrote:

Money will solve most rv problems. I’m not in your situation but people are always happy to help out and it’s not like there are a ton of problems. Go look at some Rv’s and get a feel for them.

MFL wrote:

If you are in an area where a mobile tech is readily available, that is a good option. They will come to you, get the job done quickly, often cheaper than an RV dealer. Problem is with many RV service shops, is they are busy, so your rig may sit for weeks waiting for repair.

All valid points ! But finding a mobile tech or getting scheduled into a big RV dealer are major issues.

I recall watching a video about a single guy touring the US in an older Class C. Transmission died. Got towed into a reputable repair shop but it still took them 2 week to get the correct parts and repair it. Luckily, they let him stay in his RV which was parked behind the shop.

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you pulled a drawer out and the handle was loose could you tighten the screw and make it tight again? Can you take a tire off and hut the spare on? That's about the extent of anything I've ever needed to fix on the road.

* This post was edited 06/18/20 06:47pm by nickthehunter *

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Owning a RV is similar to owning a boat. Always something needs attention. Usually that something is fairly simple to deal with. The biggest problem is finding the Roundtooit.

Knowledge is key & YouTube is your friend.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many people enjoy RVing with absolutely no idea how to fix anything. I say just do it. If something breaks use google to find a local mobile tech to fix it.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Floridastorm

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. All great information that I will use to make a decision. I'm retired and am not wealthy. However, I do have enough to take care of things that need repairing or maintenance. It's the big ticket items that have me a little nervous. I would imagine that steady maintenance and upkeep could mitigate any big ticket items. We would not be boon docking unless it was at Walmart for a night which should limit any repairs needed in out of the way places like a desert or BLM property. Think I'll go for it and see how it goes.

Floridastorm

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

You hire someone to fix stuff in your home. You have a car that you don't repair yourself. It's the same thing. Things inside the RV that brake down don't usually leave you stranded, fridge, heater, water pump, water heater can always get fixed later.

Really an excellent example. Of course, most of us do hire people to fix and do maintenance with our homes and vehicles. I know some people who are handymen but will not touch their car as they know nothing about today's cars. The only difference is that my car has a 10 year warranty which helps a lot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> RVing with no mechanical capability
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.