Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Okay How many RV'ers here use CB-Radio's?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Okay How many RV'ers here use CB-Radio's?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
snowpeke

Nevada City California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go on a road that have logging trucks they are a must!

2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CB: 40yr ago as a kid, we had one...not since

FRS: We had a couple back when cell service cost $1/min. Generally limited to a mile or two range and others can listen in on your call.

With cheap cell plans and we already have a cell phone per person, there just isn't a need unless you are in a remote area (shopping, appointments, etc...it's usually not a problem)

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

I have a regular handheld CB, similar to one posted in a picture above, but it does not have an external antenna.

my handheld like the one pictured has a removable antenna and I have a connector to convert the rubber ducky connector to a standard CB one.
for "privacy" on my first cBs they used separate replaceable channel chips and I set up two CBS with different chips for send and receive, with the mirror image on the second set. somebody could listen to just half of our conversations. [emoticon]
bumpy

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven't used one since the 70's. outdated technology

Touring in our 2010 Suncruiser, beaches, site seeing, national parks, chillaxing..

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have posted, I have a couple CB's sitting out in the garage someplace. Haven't used them in years. We used the FRS radios for backing in at one time but DW could never get used to the built in delay between pressing the transmit button and when to start speaking; many transmissions with partial information. We now use cell phones in conjunction with the hands-free device in the truck. Works great for us. Hope this helps.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Within the Jeep community they have been pretty common, but starting in 2021 one of the largest Jeep Jamborees will require them, as they announced that CB to be replaced with FRS/GMRS this year.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Mrgunguy

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IB853347201 wrote:

Haven't used one since the 70's. outdated technology

Not true, it’s just different technology with a different usefulness.

There are plenty of places, especially for us boondockers, that don’t have cell service. In fact the wife and I went to Cherokee, NC to camp (full hookups and even “WiFi” service in the CG) and our cell phones were irrelevant. While our CBs were of no use in calling for a cab or making reservations, we were able to keep in touch with one another no matter where we went.

I have a base unit in the coach, a similar one in the Jeep (toad) and two handheld units (one each for the bride and I).

Not outdated tech, just different tech. (I bet you threw away your tin cans with a string, didn’t you). [emoticon]

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well put
as I have said before here, when approaching a city and want to ask a trucker which is best route to get thru, north side, south side or straight thru, exactly who do I call using my "advanced technology" magic phone?
bumpy

* This post was edited 06/19/20 04:21pm by an administrator/moderator *

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/20 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a pair of the frs radios. We use them when traveling with another rv and it’s handy a kind of fun communication. We bought them for our Alaska trip and they were great. Nice for when one of us want to stroll by ourselves. Cheap entertainment!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

please note that an FCC-issued license is required to use frequencies assigned to the GMRS. you may inadvertently be usung a GMRS repeater. given the size of the radios and the max power output of 2-watts it is unlikely (but possible) to achieve the advertised 28-mi range. use of a GMRS repeater makes that useful range much more likely. but of course you would need a valid GMRS license in order to use a GMRS repeater. if you have such a license you're good to go.

It's also worth noting that in 2017 most of what had been GMRS-only frequencies were redefined as being FRS frequencies, and nearly all of what were previously handheld FRS/GMRS combo radios "magically" became FRS only radios and do not require a license to operate (i.e. they're licensed by rule).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Okay How many RV'ers here use CB-Radio's?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.