Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Okay How many RV'ers here use CB-Radio's?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Okay How many RV'ers here use CB-Radio's?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found my SWR meter when we moved a few years ago. Does that count?
Apps on modern phones have replaced everything I can think of about navigation. Waze and Google maps will take you the best way without you even realizing that it just took you around a washed out bridge or a huge wreck.
I get a kick out of 2 way radios being used to back in when both parties have a $800 phone in their respective pockets and the unit has a backup camera.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Mrgunguy

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

I found my SWR meter when we moved a few years ago. Does that count?
Apps on modern phones have replaced everything I can think of about navigation. Waze and Google maps will take you the best way without you even realizing that it just took you around a washed out bridge or a huge wreck.
I get a kick out of 2 way radios being used to back in when both parties have a $800 phone in their respective pockets and the unit has a backup camera.

Yeah, that’s great for the middle of Raleigh or the outskirts of Atlanta, but cell phones are useless in almost every national park. You must only go to the beach with your RV, because everyone who boondocks also uses CBs and GPS based navigation.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wondered about how you checked with the driver southbound about the cop that just pulled in the medium 1/2 mile down thats going to get him. I still have one in the DP and both pickups. The 1994 Blazer at the farm has one along with one of those 25 year old cell phones. No way to talk to a trucker you don't know with a cell phone---you don't have his number

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used one 30 plus years ago and still have it, but not in use. The range on mine was not 5 miles, more like a mile or two. Years ago it helped me out when there were highway shutdowns. Now my cellphone nav system does the same thing only much better.

It does have some amusement value but that wears thin in a half hour or so and then it is just annoying.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I wondered about how you checked with the driver southbound about the cop that just pulled in the medium 1/2 mile down thats going to get him. I still have one in the DP and both pickups. The 1994 Blazer at the farm has one along with one of those 25 year old cell phones. No way to talk to a trucker you don't know with a cell phone---you don't have his number

Google maps puts out alerts to speed traps.

It's also better at picking routes through a city.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

I used one 30 plus years ago and still have it, but not in use. The range on mine was not 5 miles, more like a mile or two. Years ago it helped me out when there were highway shutdowns. Now my cellphone nav system does the same thing only much better.

It does have some amusement value but that wears thin in a half hour or so and then it is just annoying.

waze and google maps have their place but usually warn far too late about a traffic backup or wreck to avoid it. happened several times on our snowbird trip. old school tech has its advantages.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

waze and google maps have their place but usually warn far too late about a traffic backup or wreck to avoid it. happened several times on our snowbird trip. old school tech has its advantages.

I suppose, if you are willing to listen to the cursing and blabber by the hour. Actually I have been amazed at how fast Google maps updates with a traffic situation or accident.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

rk911 wrote:

I suppose, if you are willing to listen to the cursing and blabber by the hour. Actually I have been amazed at how fast Google maps updates with a traffic situation or accident.

the cursing and blabber occur mainly around big urban areas and truck stops. and it's EZ enough to turn down the volume, close the squelch a little tighter or just turn it off for a few minutes. i prefer enough of a warning that enables me to get off at an exit prior to the backup rather than a useless warning when i'm either committed or already in the thick of it. to each their own.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a good way to tell if somebody has/is using a CB in their vehicle.
if they complain about cursing and blabber, they haven't used one lately. I can't even remember the last time I heard such on my CB going down I 95.
bumpy

* This post was edited 06/20/20 04:25pm by an administrator/moderator *

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

rk911 wrote:

please note that an FCC-issued license is required to use frequencies assigned to the GMRS. you may inadvertently be usung a GMRS repeater. given the size of the radios and the max power output of 2-watts it is unlikely (but possible) to achieve the advertised 28-mi range. use of a GMRS repeater makes that useful range much more likely. but of course you would need a valid GMRS license in order to use a GMRS repeater. if you have such a license you're good to go.

It's also worth noting that in 2017 most of what had been GMRS-only frequencies were redefined as being FRS frequencies, and nearly all of what were previously handheld FRS/GMRS combo radios "magically" became FRS only radios and do not require a license to operate (i.e. they're licensed by rule).
I've never heard this. I had been looking at the Baofeng UV-5R. You mean, even though it can access GMRS frequencies, I wouldn't get into trouble doing so because it's classed as "FRS only"? Or have I misunderstood?

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Okay How many RV'ers here use CB-Radio's?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.