Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The more I learn, the more I realize what I don't know
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> The more I learn, the more I realize what I don't know

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

to tow any large/decent 5er you need a monster of a truck to pull it, dualies, etc. I would hate to have to drive that truck in some city traffic, parking,etc. and would much prefer a class a towing a small toad.
bumpy

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Make your life easier. You need a new truck and, unless you have lots of extra money, a FW is the answer. I think the advice is to buy the truck then buy the FW that works with the truck.
Now, isn't that simpler?

I think it would be better to find the 5er you want, then buy the truck to fit.
bumpy

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

I paid $200 for my Reese receiver. Hooking up becomes second nature after a couple of times. No different that a trailer. A trailer that has aluminum framing and siding will outlast a wood framed, filon sided trailer. I haven't seen a 5th wheel yet that you can't open the fridge with the slide in. I have solar and 3 batteries. I can dry camp for a few years on that. Nobody uses televisions now. Laptop computers are the rage....unless you are parked on a concrete slab in a fancy RV park, hooked to cable (not camping).

Frig, bath room & bed room all available closed.
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not need a "monster" truck to tow a 5er. Truck tow ratings have increased dramatically in recent years. Many 5ers fall within the ratings of 250/2500 pickups. And ratings for 350/3500 SRW trucks will handle many many more 5ers. A dully is not required by weight until you get into the heaviest 5ers. Wanting a dually vs needing a dully, as many do, is another matter.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

You do not need a "monster" truck to tow a 5er. Truck tow ratings have increased dramatically in recent years. Many 5ers fall within the ratings of 250/2500 pickups. And ratings for 350/3500 SRW trucks will handle many many more 5ers. A dully is not required by weight until you get into the heaviest 5ers. Wanting a dually vs needing a dully, as many do, is another matter.

this is exactly why I recommend figuring out what 5er you want/need then buy the truck to fit. if you don't need a real truck and a Scrawny one will suffice, go for it. if you want a more capable vehicle, then buy it.
bumpy

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the feedback. For what it's worth I will probably end up with an F250 or 350 (depending on the deal I find) and anything I have looked at so far can be towed by either of these. I won't be buying a FW that requires a dually. I don't need that much truck or that much RV. Weights and calculations are definitely considerations when I am putting the pair together and I don't plan on a combo where they are short.

As far as backing/etc, I would agree, just like anything else, practice will get me where I want to be.

There is something to be said for the ease of a MH in setting up camp especially in the rain, but I need a new truck and frankly don't want another MH and another engine to take care of either. Never really looked at FW's until a few weeks ago. The amount of floor space and configurations is pretty dramatic even over a higher end MH's. I work remote, so more real estate is definitely a plus. We plan on touring the US next year for several months, shorter travel days, longer stays, so part timing seems more palatable in a FW, at least in my budget.

2020 F350 STX
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback. For what it's worth I will probably end up with an F250 or 350 (depending on the deal I find) and anything I have looked at so far can be towed by either of these. I won't be buying a FW that requires a dually. I don't need that much truck or that much RV. Weights and calculations are definitely considerations when I am putting the pair together and I don't plan on a combo where they are short.

As far as backing/etc, I would agree, just like anything else, practice will get me where I want to be.

There is something to be said for the ease of a MH in setting up camp especially in the rain, but I need a new truck and frankly don't want another MH and another engine to take care of either. Never really looked at FW's until a few weeks ago. The amount of floor space and configurations is pretty dramatic even over a higher end MH's. I work remote, so more real estate is definitely a plus. We plan on touring the US next year for several months, shorter travel days, longer stays, so part timing seems more palatable in a FW, at least in my budget.

Since your looking at BOTH 3/4 and 1 tons.The cost difference in minimal, go with the 1 ton SRW. IF your looking at the 2020's you will have a far greater capable tow vehicle then even 3 years ago.. From payload, to torque, HP, ect.. .. Still limited to tire and rear axle capacities, but you can TOW a nice a size fiver with these newer trucks...SRW's that is...

As far as backing up.. its really not that hard, its just different.. a few practices and uses and you'll be a pro..

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/20 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't overlook slightly used.

It is amazing how many people buy a fiver and then find that RVing is not really what they thought it would be. Two model years back is not really old and the biggest chunk of depreciation is taken out.

Don't get me wrong; most of us love our choices and are not running out to sell them almost new, but one or two percent of total RVs on the road is a pretty good number.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree w/ FTG. Go w/ a 1 ton if buying new. Most will say too that a SRW truck towing a RV under 15,000 is at their max (again look at truck axle, tire capacity, payload). General rule of thumb is, the heavier the RV usually translates into better built/ride RV. But your on the right track in asking a lot of questions. Go to a large RV show and look around. Have an idea as to what brands you'd like to look at. Funny part to that is, if you ask everyone on forums, they will all tell you that their brand is the best! LOL

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

I agree w/ FTG. Go w/ a 1 ton if buying new. Most will say too that a SRW truck towing a RV under 15,000 is at their max (again look at truck axle, tire capacity, payload). General rule of thumb is, the heavier the RV usually translates into better built/ride RV. But your on the right track in asking a lot of questions. Go to a large RV show and look around. Have an idea as to what brands you'd like to look at. Funny part to that is, if you ask everyone on forums, they will all tell you that their brand is the best! LOL

Amen to that. Our plan has been to go to shows etc, but COVID has really put a damper on that. For a truck, probably looking used, 1-3 years old. I can't afford the prices of that truck new.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> The more I learn, the more I realize what I don't know
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.