cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got the bugs off...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just returned from a 4,150+ mile 8 state, 19 day trip from Tucson to Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP's. Our 24' Nexus Phantom at 101" wide and with 7' of interior head room throughout the coach has one of the largest bug catchers {cabover} to be found anywhere... we love the room but removing the bugs and road debris after a serious trip can bes an equally serious PITA!

Like somebody famous once said "Mission accomplished!" :S

Now as to how...

I start with a bucket of standard car wash soapy water and a long handled soft bristle brush. Agressively spray the cabover and commence scrubbing with the brush working small sections at a time and then another very aggressive rinse or two. This by no means gets any more than about half of them so now it is time for my not so secret weapon... "Bug Slide"

Having left the cabover wet I use a step ladder to get me close enough to generously spray on the BS, let it soak for 60 seconds and then using a soft cloth {loose knit} scrub pad begin scrubbing the little buggers off. A circular motion without excessive pressure seems to work well.

Working in thirds I was able to get them all and leave a decent shine behind which greatly reduces future bug sticks, in about 45 minutes start to finish. You can get Bug Slide on Amazon, I buy a half a gallon every year and just refill the handy spray bottles. Was introduced to it at a bike show and had such good luck with it on the bikes I started using it on the coach.

Cleaning the rest of the coach and trailer were straightforward enough, more bucket and brush, rinse it off and a wipe down with a microfiber towel and after 2 hours{including the dreaded cabover} I am ready to take it out and get it dirty all over again.

:B
15 REPLIES 15

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice job. Just did the same thing, except I set up my "Hillbilly Staging" (1 six foot ladder with the 5th rung built up 4 inches on each side then slide with a 2x10 across to clear the hood). I am able to reach that difficult upper center section so I don't have to go up on the roof and hang down head first. Makes putting your favorite anti bug splatter wax/coating on (I use Rejex) much easier too.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I find Awesome orange all purpose degreaser from Dollar Tree works well on squashed bugs. Itโ€™s very economical if you buy one spray bottle and one refill jug.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here with an update...

After a couple more trips followed by the Bug slide method outlined earlier in this post I am happy to report that it just keeps getting easier. Now just a blast from the hose and couple of light passes with the long handled brush and car wash soap gets about 95 percent of the bugs off. I still use the 6' step ladder and a little Bug Slide lightly buffed with a micro fiber cloth but each time it leaves an even better, virtually non stick surface/shine.

I recently started using one of the new high tech polymer sealant polishes I found on the internet "Torque Mirror Shine" {Google it - available on Amazon} on my 2019 Honda Ridgeline and my 2017 Indian Springfield with awesome results. The key is get the vehicle extremely clean right down to the clear coat before applying the polish. This is best accomplished using a clay bar treatment {I like the Mothers Clay Bar kit consisting of their liquid detailer which acts as a lubricant for the clay bar - comes with 2 bars}.

After having such good luck with the Honda and the bike I did the front of the Class C :

Keep in mind this is a 2012 coach, not too shabby for 9 years old... :B

The polish is about the color and consistency of milk and just wipes on easily. Just lightly wipe it on and then buff it out with a dry micro fiber cloth and voila! It is supposed to last 6 months with just a couple of coats applied. I did the Honda from start {washing, clay barring and 2 coats of the polish} to finish in under 2 hours.

:C

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
By using the Bug Slide I am effectively building up a slick layer that enables the next crop of bug sticks to be removed much more easily. I have heard good things about "Rejex" utilized in the same manner.

Happily it leaves a decent shine behind as well, not like a polish but water beads up and as noted the bugs don't stick nearly as much.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
So, all this being said, what does everyone use PRIOR to a trip, in the way of a coating to thwart the excessive accumulation of bugs? I know nothing can deflect everything, but a couple or 3 coats of wax? Rain-X?
Other ideas?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
gemsworld wrote:
Clothes dryer softener sheets work very well in getting rid of the splattered bugs.

That is what I "used" to use... draw your own conclusions.

:W

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Clothes dryer softener sheets work very well in getting rid of the splattered bugs.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
All that protein wasted? Bugs are good eating!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
It does look great. I guess it builds a wax type coating over time making it easier to remove the buggies. Good job .

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
No citrus additives that I am aware of. The best thing about Bug Slide is the more you use it the better it works leaving a nice slick shine behind that makes removing the next wave of buggers that much easier.

For the record our coach is a 2012 and if it looks like that after 63,000+ miles and 8 years keep in mind we live in southern Arizona {not the RV friendliest area for fiberglass finishes}. I'll keep doing it myself as long as I am able {I'll be 69 this fall} but must confess to hiring n independent local to detail the whole rig last April. He used Meguiar's products and that probably contributed to the decent results I was just able to manage.

Thanks DC. Still looks good no matter who did it.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
No citrus additives that I am aware of. The best thing about Bug Slide is the more you use it the better it works leaving a nice slick shine behind that makes removing the next wave of buggers that much easier.

For the record our coach is a 2012 and if it looks like that after 63,000+ miles and 8 years keep in mind we live in southern Arizona {not the RV friendliest area for fiberglass finishes}. I'll keep doing it myself as long as I am able {I'll be 69 this fall} but must confess to hiring n independent local to detail the whole rig last April. He used Meguiar's products and that probably contributed to the decent results I was just able to manage.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Has it got citron/lemon based chemicals or products in it? I have a caveat about not using that type of cleaner on my Sprinter's headlight covers, as it will dull and fade them eventually to opaque.
BTW, your rig looks showroom. Nice job.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
These guys specialize in class C cabovers.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
I use a wet dryer sheet and water to remove the bugs easy.
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ