Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Got the bugs off...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Got the bugs off...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

Clothes dryer softener sheets work very well in getting rid of the splattered bugs.

That is what I "used" to use... draw your own conclusions.

[emoticon]

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, all this being said, what does everyone use PRIOR to a trip, in the way of a coating to thwart the excessive accumulation of bugs? I know nothing can deflect everything, but a couple or 3 coats of wax? Rain-X?
Other ideas?

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By using the Bug Slide I am effectively building up a slick layer that enables the next crop of bug sticks to be removed much more easily. I have heard good things about "Rejex" utilized in the same manner.

Happily it leaves a decent shine behind as well, not like a polish but water beads up and as noted the bugs don't stick nearly as much.

[emoticon]

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here with an update...

After a couple more trips followed by the Bug slide method outlined earlier in this post I am happy to report that it just keeps getting easier. Now just a blast from the hose and couple of light passes with the long handled brush and car wash soap gets about 95 percent of the bugs off. I still use the 6' step ladder and a little Bug Slide lightly buffed with a micro fiber cloth but each time it leaves an even better, virtually non stick surface/shine.

I recently started using one of the new high tech polymer sealant polishes I found on the internet "Torque Mirror Shine" {Google it - available on Amazon} on my 2019 Honda Ridgeline and my 2017 Indian Springfield with awesome results. The key is get the vehicle extremely clean right down to the clear coat before applying the polish. This is best accomplished using a clay bar treatment {I like the Mothers Clay Bar kit consisting of their liquid detailer which acts as a lubricant for the clay bar - comes with 2 bars}.

After having such good luck with the Honda and the bike I did the front of the Class C :

[image]

Keep in mind this is a 2012 coach, not too shabby for 9 years old... [emoticon]

[image]

The polish is about the color and consistency of milk and just wipes on easily. Just lightly wipe it on and then buff it out with a dry micro fiber cloth and voila! It is supposed to last 6 months with just a couple of coats applied. I did the Honda from start {washing, clay barring and 2 coats of the polish} to finish in under 2 hours.

[emoticon]

* This post was edited 08/23/20 11:29am by Desert Captain *

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find Awesome orange all purpose degreaser from Dollar Tree works well on squashed bugs. It’s very economical if you buy one spray bottle and one refill jug.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job. Just did the same thing, except I set up my "Hillbilly Staging" (1 six foot ladder with the 5th rung built up 4 inches on each side then slide with a 2x10 across to clear the hood). I am able to reach that difficult upper center section so I don't have to go up on the roof and hang down head first. Makes putting your favorite anti bug splatter wax/coating on (I use Rejex) much easier too.

2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Got the bugs off...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.