cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fore and aft movement

skinnyme
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new grand design 5th wheel. hooked up to a new Curt a-16 hitch. this is my 1st 5th wheel. I have about 3/16" to 1/4" travel (play) fore and aft when stopping and starting. Going down the road everything feels fine. But starting and stopping feels like there is too much (play ) between the king pin and the hitch . Is this normal? thank you.
I do not use the Turning Point feature on the pin box.
32 REPLIES 32

๐Ÿ™‚ NICE... I'll wait at the mailbox ! Hows the shrimping going
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"IT"S IN THE MAIL"
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL wrote:
Goostoff wrote:
My truck came with a Curt hitch when i bought it. I used it for the first season. I bitched about it every time i hooked up. It was a white knuckle drive to the camground every time. Finally I pulled that pile of **** out half way through tthe second season and bought a B&W Patriot. Never looked back and I am actually not worn out after driving 2 miles

Another happy member of the B&W Club.

I'm still waiting for my membership package, and honorary hat that the president ships....???? Ron ??? :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
My truck came with a Curt hitch when i bought it. I used it for the first season. I bitched about it every time i hooked up. It was a white knuckle drive to the camground every time. Finally I pulled that pile of **** out half way through tthe second season and bought a B&W Patriot. Never looked back and I am actually not worn out after driving 2 miles

Another happy member of the B&W Club.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I also 2nd the swapping it w/ dealer to a B&W. Had 2 diff Reese hitches and both had slop in them. Got the B&W when we got the new coach in sig and it's hands down way better than the Reese's I had.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Even though you are seeing the jaws move when you start and stop, the noise you are hearing may be coming from where the hitch meets the rails. If you have a PUC system this may not apply but they make some rubber sound dampers that fit between the rails and the hitch. they are very cheap on the Curt website and they can make a big difference if using the rail system.

Just google Curt sound dampeners.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My first hitch was the slide bar type, that had some slop from new. It soon led to more wear/slop/noise/banging, which is normal, with anything that does not fit right from the start. I do think the wrap around jaws, even if poor fit, would take longer to wear out.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My old RBW made me cringe starting and stopping!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
12th Man Fan wrote:
If you keep the Curt you can adjust your trailer brakes to brake a little ahead of the truck. This will keep the king pin in the back of the jaws.

I have a Curt and that is what I did and it works for me but I don't think I had quite that much play in mine but I could feel it bumping when I stopped and started.

That is what I did to eliminate most of the slack I have in a Reese hitch.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I had the super glide and liked it.... got a long bed and jumped into a B&W, have 1 tow with it and absolutely love the feel.... much better than the Superglide...

Simply amazing!!! The B&W actually makes even a Ford feel good. :B

feeling good today Ron ? feeling a bit feisty today ! :B

Actually yes!

Been catching a lot of Shrimp lately

Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I had the super glide and liked it.... got a long bed and jumped into a B&W, have 1 tow with it and absolutely love the feel.... much better than the Superglide...

Simply amazing!!! The B&W actually makes even a Ford feel good. :B

feeling good today Ron ? feeling a bit feisty today ! :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

skinnyme
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I tried it with and without the teflon disk. It didn't make any diffrence. I prefer the disk.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using a Teflon disc?
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL