Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: fore and aft movement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> fore and aft movement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/20 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

12th Man Fan wrote:

If you keep the Curt you can adjust your trailer brakes to brake a little ahead of the truck. This will keep the king pin in the back of the jaws.

I have a Curt and that is what I did and it works for me but I don't think I had quite that much play in mine but I could feel it bumping when I stopped and started.

Band Aid!!!

It is not broke and it is not dangerous just a little annoying from time to time.

If he can get his money back fine, If not it is not really a problem Curt is a very good hitch.

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had that kind of play in a Reese, Pullrite or by Hensley. Do yourself a favor and get a Trailer Saver BD1 or even a BD3. Your trailer will thank you for it in the long run and the jaws are thick, positive locking. Mine is 6 years old and the jaws have absolutely no slop. http://www.trailersaver.com/product/bd1-air-ride-5th-wheel-hitch/

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

I had the super glide and liked it.... got a long bed and jumped into a B&W, have 1 tow with it and absolutely love the feel.... much better than the Superglide...

Simply amazing!!! The B&W actually makes even a Ford feel good. [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too bad you didn't ask about what hitch to buy FIRST. You can see what the answer would have been.

I have used a CURT hitch and it is NOT user friendly.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/20 11:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skinnyme wrote:

I have a new grand design 5th wheel. hooked up to a new Curt a-16 hitch. this is my 1st 5th wheel. I have about 3/16" to 1/4" travel (play) fore and aft when stopping and starting. Going down the road everything feels fine. But starting and stopping feels like there is too much (play ) between the king pin and the hitch . Is this normal? thank you.
I do not use the Turning Point feature on the pin box.

Really need more information, how is the hitch mounted puck system or rails. What is the TV and which model of 5er.

ON EDIT: It would also help to have scale slips, many times this issues is amplified by too light of pin weight.

Our Reese 16K hitch had some play when it was rail mounted in our old TV to rails. When we got the 2016 Ram with puck system wasn't ready to drop $1,200+ on a new B&W hitch, so bought a picture frame adapter, no play between adapter and hitch so smooth.

* This post was edited 06/20/20 07:17am by rhagfo *

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

skinnyme

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12th man fan
Thanks for the tip. I was thinking along those lines. Stopping is smooth but when I come to a complete stop the trailer wants to roll back. That is when I get the "clunk"

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there no way to adjust the jaws?

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hp7S2Vu3Qc

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

skinnyme wrote:

I have a new grand design 5th wheel. hooked up to a new Curt a-16 hitch. this is my 1st 5th wheel. I have about 3/16" to 1/4" travel (play) fore and aft when stopping and starting. Going down the road everything feels fine. But starting and stopping feels like there is too much (play ) between the king pin and the hitch . Is this normal? thank you.
I do not use the Turning Point feature on the pin box.

Really need more information, how is the hitch mounted puck system or rails. What is the TV and which model of 5er.

ON EDIT: It would also help to have scale slips, many times this issues is amplified by too light of pin weight.

Our Reese 16K hitch had some play when it was rail mounted in our old TV to rails. When we got the 2016 Ram with puck system wasn't ready to drop $1,200+ on a new B&W hitch, so bought a picture frame adapter, no play between adapter and hitch so smooth.

Same here, no need to replace my Reese hitch . A little noise and a problem are two different things . I wouldn’t lose any sleep over a slight clunk in a hitch .

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you using a Teflon disc?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> fore and aft movement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.