cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Age old question....but??

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
So I think I'm almost ready to put a few solar panels up on my fiberglass roof. The only thing I'm really concerned with is the mounting? For lack of imagination at this point. Let's assume I'll be using 4 Z brackets for Panel...and yea, I'll screw them down but I'm wondering what else....the 3M tape? The 4000 or 5200 adhesive sealant? Eternabond adhesive sealant? Should I use more Z brackes?

Anyways, the whole idea is to be extra confident that the panels are staying where mounted.
Thanks for any input....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
9 REPLIES 9

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Homeless by Choice wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Don't use Z brackets as they are difficult to remove when needed. Use alimunium angle, cut 2 pieces and bolt them together for your Z bracket.

That is what I did using 1/4 inch stainless steel bolts to the panels and between the angles.

LeRoy
SS is great. I buy from Bolt Depot and while they will sell small quanities I get 100 count packages at a great price. Lots of SS bolts, screws etc for future projects.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Don't use Z brackets as they are difficult to remove when needed. Use alimunium angle, cut 2 pieces and bolt them together for your Z bracket.

That is what I did using 1/4 inch stainless steel bolts to the panels and between the angles.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
On a related thought, the 12 charging/electrical has always been an issue somewhat on my older 96 Vogue, from figuring out the Duvac alternator to the old Sure Power battery isolator and to the Aux start solenoid. Makes a long story short , I've changed things up quite a bit over the years. For reasons that I can't fully explain in full here, I was thinking of separating the solar to my house/chassis batteries. Since I have a residential fridge, I want to be sure my chassis battery has no chance of discharging. I accomplish this now via two means, one is the use of the motorhome battery cut off solenoid and the other is hard wired battery switches near by batteries( on that subject, I have 6-6 volt house and 1-12 volt 8d as a chassis battery ) .... I'm thinking 6-800 watts of panels, using a PWM controller for maybe 100 watts to the chassis and a MPPT for the remainder of watts to my house batteries.

Ok....I know that's a lot to read, but your thoughts are sought and appreciated.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
3M VHB 4950 tape is proven to be extremely reliable.....and no holes in roof needed!
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Angled aluminum sounds like an interesting thought....in that way, the brackets could be cut as needed. I'll have to check into that. Thanks???? thanks to all for ideas!
96 Vogue Prima Vista

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would use Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coating. Proceed by the steps below.

Roof coating under Z brackets > screw down Z brackets > cover Z brackets with roof coating

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve never seen an RV solar panel along the road. If it concerns you use six Z brackets and glue or tape. Youโ€™ll love your system provided you have adequate batteries, wiring and panels coupled with a good controller.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
NEVER 5200 ! It will fail (at least as a sealant) and it is next to impossible to get off ! The 3M tape pressure sensitive tape does a very good job of bonding.

I am also of the opinion that NO SEALANT LAST FOR EVER ! You are better off putting a wad of butyl around the screw between the bracket and the roof and be prepared to replace it in 3 - 5 years.