cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern Lite 10-2 maiden voyage

TCjeff
Explorer
Explorer
So we just returned from our first trip in our brand new rig - 2020 Northern Lite 10-2 + 2019 Ram 3500 diesel dually. It was fantastic!

However, a few issues did arise such as:

1. Although the ride was generally quite smooth, we did experience a fair bit of front to back rocking when passing over bigger bumps (porpoising?). Our truck is suspension stock. After reading many posts on the topic I am totally confused as to what might be the best option for us. Note - This is our first truck and first truck camper. Recommendations?

2. Although the stove in the camper worked great we'd rather be cooking our meals outdoors. As such, we are looking to purchase an outdoor gas stove that would connect to the propane gas hose in the generator bay. Any recommendations?

3. Our cell phone reception was spotty. So we are thinking of adding a cell phone signal booster. Are they effective? If so, any recommendations?

4. Our camper came with a boat rack that we mount our canoe on bringing our total height to approximately 12ft (I will be measuring it more accurately prior to our next trip). Are there iPhone gps apps that include clearance heights or will we need a separate gps?

5. Our first bottle of propane ran out after dry camping for 5 days. Is this normal? We had the furnace going for two of the nights as the temperature dipped down into the low 40's. We were also using the fridge and hot water.

Thanks in advance for the help!
19 REPLIES 19

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Jeff,

Just wondering if you're back from your trip yet and how it went with the new truck and TC?
Mrs. Chief Financial Officer has confirmed we are to get a new truck and a new camper. So likely to be a new F350 DRW and either a BF or N. Lite.
Looking forward to hearing about your trip.
Merci.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats on the new rig. Was looking at the N. L's online the other day and noticed the roof rack. Just wasn't sure if it was more ornamental/ for a kids size plastic toy or actually a viable boat carrier. Did it hold your canoe well? And what's the approx weight of your boat? How was it to load/unload from that height? I have an 80lb SOT that I just can't picture getting up there without adding a roof crane.... XD. Love the idea of the clamshell design and wondering it NL will build with fewer roof mount gizmos like the AC unit. less holes it the roof, less opening for water to get in and less sealant maintenance.
Thanks for posting. Love to here more on what you're decision is re add-on's after your next trip. While I like the 9000xl's, three of my four originals died after not very much TC time The nobs seized and I believe some of the seals blew. Sencond set was free under warranty, but have to pay to install. Haven't had time to TC so need to crawl under and see if the knobs are still OK. Hope so. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have Firestone bags as well. They are nice to have and easy to use. (There on a 98 GM2500 4x4, 3500# alloys, E rated rubber, wheels spaced out wider then stock. with a 10.5' older Okanagan.)
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

TCjeff
Explorer
Explorer
Dually

TCjeff
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your comments!

I measured our rig height with the canoe on top and we are at 12โ€™-4โ€. In Quebec and Ontario 13.6โ€™ is the maximum permitted vehicle height so we shouldnโ€™t be good on all major highways. Still looking for an app that can help with route planning.

Weโ€™re off for a four week trip to Ontarioโ€™s Georgian Bay Area next Wednesday. I B.C. will monitor our proposing issue to see if suspension mods are really necessary. In the meantime, any recommendations on tire pressures? Right now Iโ€™ve got 80 in the front and 70 in the dual my rears.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Side question.
With 112F weather and moderate winds today, how do I cool down the water?

Open drivers door of truck, start truck, drive somewhere much cooler to camp....
Kind of masochistic camping in 112deg weather when there are other options I think?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations ,enjoy. May I suggest that you make getting a exact measurement on your height a priority, my 10-2 is 11'-10" on a SRW F 350. My propane use dry is about the same. Industry standard is to fill tank 80%. Have good times with your new rigs.

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
Some dealers don't fill the propane tank all the way to save money. Also always have your propane tanks filled. The exchange tanks have 5 pounds of propane less. Fill both your propane tanks then see how much you use to get a base line.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Side question.
With 112F weather and moderate winds today, how do I cool down the water?

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
We use this Camp Chef Ranger 2-burner stove with regulator removed that hooks into our camper propane with a quick connect. https://www.campchef.com/ranger-ii.html.
Cranks heat and stays clean. It lives in our generator compartment.
With it we use a griddle such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Burner-Backsplash-Griddle/dp/B0089XJDP8/ref=sr_1_32?dchild=1&keywords=non-stick+griddle&qid=1592699952&sr=8-32
It is very versatile from pancakes to veggies to steaks. We used to have a Weber Q grill, but it was so bulky and HEAVY to store and MESSY and smelly in the camper. Our current setup is much more user friendly. Only thing you miss is the flame-grilled taste.

We never had a front to back porpoising issue but we recommend upper stable loads and Timbrens. We have them on the duallys. No sway side to side. Rougher ride over big bumps when camper is off truck.

Propane use sounds excessive. We don't leave the hot water heater on 24/7, only takes 15 mins or so to get the tank hot when needed.

Hint on showering: Turn heater on for about 15 mins then turn it off. Now take your shower with only the hot water knob on. No fiddling with hot/cold mix and wasting water. For a second shower right after, turn water heater on for an additional 4 mins or so and the next person is set. This seems to work for us just fine, your heating times may vary, also depending on outside temp.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your bed is perfectly flat. Any crown will cause camper movement.

I say normal for propane useage.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When my Ford dually carries my 6000 lb TC just fine, on 1 trip when I had 200-300lb of waste water in rear tank, it was prone to porpoising. Nothing really major, but now I avoid carrying waste water and pay attention to loading heavy items in front, or truck cabin, while only light stuff goes to the rear.
For my summer camping 5 gallons of propane is like 60 days, so I guess your furnace used a lot?
When you can buy special valve to tap into RV propane line, those bring maintenance and reliability issues. I have small BBQ that uses small propane cylinders right on it and small bottle last for several times, when buying dual pack cylinders at Walmart come to like $3 a piece.
My friend is having 2.5 gallons propane cylinder, where he bought a mast with T-s on it. Mast bolts to the cylinder. So top holds propane light, very efficient and then he hooks up BBQ to lower outlets.
This way he has light and propane without hose limitation.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Partner Steel Stoves

https://partnersteel.com/cook-partner

I have the 22" 2 burner. These are used by river rafting companies and are bullet proof.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Geo*Boy wrote:
The short run time out of the propane tank maybe because the tanks werenโ€™t properly purged of air.

My thought as well. I live in Alaska and use my furnace almost every night while camping, refer on propane, and water heater only on as necessary and go most of the summer on one 20lb tank.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The short run time out of the propane tank maybe because the tanks werenโ€™t properly purged of air.