cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just wondering

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
So you're out on your boat in 5 foot seas. Why would you want to shut off your engine?
Puma 30RKSS
32 REPLIES 32

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
bucky wrote:
So you're out on your boat in 5 foot seas. Why would you want to shut off your engine?

With 5 foot seas I wouldn't even consider going fishing in the first place. Having said that most people who offshore fish don't turn their engines off until they get back to the dock.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
Turning sideways in a 5 foot sea not fun,if you survive. Keep engine running facing into waves if possible. Not good time to work on a starter for sure:)

correct answer
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
FWIW, there are still places that will rebuild your old starter. That is what we did on our houseboat. Always good to have a spare.....

I did have mine rebuilt from a retired guy that's the go to guy in our area. He worked for an Automotive Electric place for his career. The starter never seemed to "SPIN" the 350 like it should. Recently it started kicking out while cranking. It's now stored in the boat for a backup.

New ARCO starter is working VERY well!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, there are still places that will rebuild your old starter. That is what we did on our houseboat. Always good to have a spare.....
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I was out today in 3-4 waves, 5 foot swells, and cut the motor off to drift fish for sharks. I was not fishing, just steering to stay straight with the swells.

Luckily the swells were far apart, but still not really fun. Visitors from out of state who wanted to catch a shark. Well, we got 2 and one passenger helped my chum bag.:) No one argued when I called the day and we moved to fish the ICW.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"A sea anchor is like a small parachute you deploy in the water and as the boat gets push by the wind and waves it drags in the water to hold you bow that direction."

THAT is what I need to get!!! Thanks for the reminder.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
More important than the height is the distance between the tops . In open sea five feet ain't much if a mile apart , or even fifteen or twenty if far apart .

That's the issue right there. 5 feet is the max I can handle in my quasi-river-salt boat with a jet (fortunately got 360 ponies upstream).....but when even small seas (3' - 4') are stacked, it's a pretty rough outing.

I shut my engine off twice in circa 4' - 5' seas: Sucked up a bunch of jelly's one time and cut off the cooling water flow. Other time, I was just wearing out the throttle linkage off-on-off-on as I would crest (go to idle to avoid cavitation) and then sink into waves (go to 70% + power to climb up the swell). Took a gamble that the weather forecast was correct...and it was...so held position with the kicker for a couple hours until the seas subsided a bit then beat feet into harbor.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
His question was directed at me I assume. I made the comment below on a closed thread.

"Just bought a $260 Marine Starter for my Boat, could have gotten a Communist Chinese Made for $100. Out on the water in 5' seas, what starter would you want to depend on???"

Things do happen as in running out of fuel and having to change from one tank to the other. YES I have done that. Not much fun as I was thrown from one side of the boat to the other. :B

Marine starters cost more because they are sealed to prevent a spark for the brushes for igniting gas fumes. As far as 5' seas, I know that would not have been comfortable with our 33' twin diesel yacht or in any of the smaller boats we have owned(15' 21' and 27'). That is when a "sea anchor" is used to keep the bow into the wind. A sea anchor is like a small parachute you deploy in the water and as the boat gets push by the wind and waves it drags in the water to hold you bow that direction.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is all funny. I was just busting on Cummins12V98 because once again the original thread had been closed. He even called it.
Boater wise I've been in for about 20 years with stern drives, outboards, cuddys, and bow riders. I never bet on a boat restarting unless there are plenty of other boaters around just in case.
And certainly not in 5 foot seas.
Puma 30RKSS

blt2ski
wanderingbob wrote:
More important than the height is the distance between the tops . In open sea five feet ain't much if a mile apart , or even fifteen or twenty if far apart .

Very true. Noticed wace changes locally with tide shifts. 1-2 knots a current against the wind makes for close together, talker waves than when going the same way.
Short steep harms more boats than longer ones.
Also, length of wave top to wave top. If that same as loa of boat, also bad.....
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
Maybe you are trying to hear something. Is it foggy too?

Maybe low on fuel and you want to "surf" in closer to the harbor.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
Don't go into fisherman's Bay on a minus tide. Iirc only 4.5-5' of water deroth at zero! I need at least +1 to go in, assuming I am in the deepest part of channel. Know 2 folks that have replace 20-24" props at $2000-3000 per! They eat needed two!

So far I have not had an issue there.

Love going to the Galley a bit South of the Islander.

blt2ski
Don't go into fisherman's Bay on a minus tide. Iirc only 4.5-5' of water deroth at zero! I need at least +1 to go in, assuming I am in the deepest part of channel. Know 2 folks that have replace 20-24" props at $2000-3000 per! They eat needed two!
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer