Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why 30 amp and not 50 amp
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Why 30 amp and not 50 amp

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/20/20 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get by just fine with my 2000 watt generator that actually can run 1800 watts. That is just 15 amps. We frequently don't even start the generator when we stay for a night. Silence is great, no television, rarely turn on the radio, rarely sit inside with the lights turned on at night. My perfect campsite is near Burgess Junction, Wyoming at 9000 plus feet with the nearest town over 30 miles away. Most of my friends prefer these same type of sites. No need for 50 amp.


Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired


time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/20/20 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some popular places have no power. Why even have 30 amp?


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Dtank

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/13/2005

View Profile



Posted: 06/20/20 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Some popular places have no power. Why even have 30 amp?


Good question!

Why even have the AC wiring??

Rip it out, sell the copper (unless it's aluminum), and be a happy camper doin' it your way !!

[emoticon]..[emoticon]..[emoticon]

pasusan

Northernmost PA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/13/2009

View Profile



Posted: 06/21/20 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

I've only had RVs with 30A. I always had enough power. I wouldn't want to have to deal with the big, heavy, expensive 50A cord.
Why don't all RV's have 100 gallon freshwater tanks? Why don't they all have 3 AC units?
Why don't they all have satellite dishes and 3 flat screens?
Weez agreez.


"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skipg wrote:

Why not build all RV’s with 50 amp service ?

Cost, plain and simple !

JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/21/20 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not buy an RV with the 50 amp service you want? If an RV does not meet your requirements then just move on. Personally I am happy with 30 amps and rarely use any shore power.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dtank wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Some popular places have no power. Why even have 30 amp?


Good question!

Why even have the AC wiring??

Rip it out, sell the copper (unless it's aluminum), and be a happy camper doin' it your way !!

[emoticon]..[emoticon]..[emoticon]


Old Army Tent and a Cott.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 06/21/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skipg wrote:

Why not build all RV’s with 50 amp service ? With AC, microwaves, electronic water heaters plus numerous other electrical appliances we take with us it seems to make More sense to have 50 amp


You do realize that so-called "50 amp service" is in fact 100 amps total - right? [emoticon] 30 amp service is delivered on one leg - 120 vac x 30 amps = 3600 watts. 50 amp service is delivered on two legs - 120 vac x 50 amps x 2 = 12,000 watts. BIG difference, so why pay for 50 amp service in the construction of your trailer if you have no need to draw anywhere near that amount of power?


2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DrewE

Vermont

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:


You do realize that so-called "50 amp service" is in fact 100 amps total - right? [emoticon] 30 amp service is delivered on one leg - 120 vac x 30 amps = 3600 watts. 50 amp service is delivered on two legs - 120 vac x 50 amps x 2 = 12,000 watts.


That's half true; 50A service is 50A, 120/240V service, but it's not in any way a 100A circuit: you cannot connect a single 120V, 100A device to it should that odd need come up. It is correct that it provides a nominal 12 kW rather than 3.6 kW for the 120V, 30A service.

Saying it's a 100A service is about like saying that a semi tractor pulling dual trailers is really travelling at 120 mph, because it's pulling two trailers traveling at 60 mph apiece.





Bobbo

Wherever I park

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/21/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

SoundGuy wrote:


You do realize that so-called "50 amp service" is in fact 100 amps total - right? [emoticon] 30 amp service is delivered on one leg - 120 vac x 30 amps = 3600 watts. 50 amp service is delivered on two legs - 120 vac x 50 amps x 2 = 12,000 watts.


That's half true; 50A service is 50A, 120/240V service, but it's not in any way a 100A circuit: you cannot connect a single 120V, 100A device to it should that odd need come up. It is correct that it provides a nominal 12 kW rather than 3.6 kW for the 120V, 30A service.

Saying it's a 100A service is about like saying that a semi tractor pulling dual trailers is really travelling at 120 mph, because it's pulling two trailers traveling at 60 mph apiece.

But, it is also true that a 50 amp trailer has access to 100 amps of power. You just have to use two circuits to access it. Sometimes, simplifying a subject can get the concept across even though the technical details are wrong.


Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Why 30 amp and not 50 amp
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.