cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ac question

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 50 amp rv is on a 50 to 15 amp adapter, to a heavy duty extension cord that is plugged into a 20 amp outlet.
Only thing running on electric in rv is the tv.

Is it ok to run just the ac Fan?? Again, just the fan is running not cooling.

Thanks!!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
20 REPLIES 20

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I just connected my camper with the heavy camping cables to a 20A outlet so my kids can run the A/C when they get here for the 4th. Been doing that for years. They know just one heavy load at a time. No A/C and microwave at the same time kind of thing.

The fact nothing is heating up for you cable wise is great.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
108V is good. However if there are other loads on that plug the voltage will be lower and perhaps to low.

Others have discovered this when the CB tripped.

Comment: Never think that a 15A plug is adequate without checking. I have 8 plugs on a outside and garage circuit. The circuit is 270' of 14 ga wire on a 15A CB. My saw won't cut a 2x4 on that circuit but the circuit is 100% to code.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would let it run without worry at 108.0. Just keep an eye on the voltage in the afternoon.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ran it for a while and kept checking the voltage, it was hovering from mid to high 108.
Adapter and cord not even warm.

Hope this is ok to run it. Thanks guys!

My Adventure Blog:

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
campermama,

Check the voltage after the unit has been running for an hour, or better yet leave a Kill-a-Watt unit plugged in.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
campermama,

Check the voltage after the unit has been running for an hour, or better yet leave a Kill-a-Watt unit plugged in.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes 110v in the RV is good to go. Check the adapter for heat in 1 hour. Monitor voltage especially late in the afternoon. 103 to 107 is time to shut down. Then go again 1 hour after sundown.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok turn on ac, nothing else running, getting 110 when checked an outlet with volt meter, so I should be ok to run it??

My Adventure Blog:

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
"heavy duty extension cord" tells us nothing, it is the wire size that matters.
X2 For me it's 10 gauge which are less available and more expensive. Plus I don't care for copper coated aluminum wire.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
"heavy duty extension cord" tells us nothing, it is the wire size that matters.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I've run my AC unit a lot when using a 30 to 15 adapter and plugged into a 20A circuit. Air conditioning unit, refrigerator on AC, and the converter at the same time never caused a problem. The AC unit pulled about 7 amps running, ref was about 3 amps, converter varies but never that much.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I predict you will melt the 15 amp adapter if you try to run the AC. You have more power available (20) than the adapter is is designed for, you have a power consumer (RV) that can draw more than adapter is designed for. At a minimum, get an adapter and extension cord that meets or exceeds the 20 amp source.

But if you run just the fan you should be fine.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
You can run the full A/C. and the converter. everything else off.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you are fine to run the fan. I assume the water and fridge are on propane and the MW stays off. Converter draws very little after the batteries are charged.