Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Dropping Camper at KOA campground?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dropping Camper at KOA campground?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our road trip one of our destinations is glacier National Park. Because we were so late in planning this trip, we are staying outside of the park at a nearby KOA. Not our first choice but for our needs on this trip, KOA will suffice.

So that said, one of the major features of Glacier is the drive over the sun road. Reading up it looks like there is a 21ft length restriction in place. My truck is just under this but with the camper I exceed the length by a couple of feet.

We considered just renting a van for the one day we are in the park just to make it easy for us. However a two day rental will be close to $300. It seems a bit of a waste to drop that much coin when I already have the truck.

So, being that we are staying at a KOA, does anyone have any experience dropping the camper at these places? Is there a policy against it or will it be just dependent on each location?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call the office and ask. Even when campground has such restrictions in the rules, when you ask nicely and they will see you keep your camper nice, very often then bend the rules.
I've been camping with my 1972 conversion at campgrounds with "no older than 10 years" rules.
I've been driving 32' motorhomes into parks with "no over 25' advised"
I park my 40' conversion at campground with 30' limits.
Rules are often written to avoid potential where drivers with no skills, or "full-timers" will like to test them to full extend.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call and ask. I drove Going to the Sun years ago in my TC, don’t remember any length limit then and had no issues.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you go on the going to the sun road pull both of your mirrors in, and really watch the other drivers coming at you.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure your drw is less than 21 and 8 ft wide? I have no idea what they’d do if you were found to be over, but the point is the road is very tight, so you may have problems navigating parking at lookouts etc with a large vehicle.

Vehicles, and vehicle combinations, longer than 21 feet (including bumpers) or wider than 8 feet (including mirrors), are prohibited between Avalanche Campground and the Rising Sun picnic area parking.

Consider renting a normal car at Kalispell Airport.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't mind being at someone else's schedule, you can take the Red Bus tour, can't tell you about the price, you can look it up on Glacier's website.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

bfacklam

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are also free shuttles at the Visitor Centers on both ends of Going to the Sun highway. There are transfers from bus to shuttle to bus. Leave the driving to the pros.. Parking for private vehicles are limited at the top of the mountain

Geo*Boy

Burlington

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at the West Glacier KOA and took the Red Bus Tour. They picked us up right at the campground, made numerous stops, had a nice lunch at the Many Glacier Lodge and then headed back across the Going to the Sun road. All in all a great trip/day that took 10 hours. If you are lucky Peggy is still driving the Red Bus, she was great.
Unfortunately I just read that the Red Bus Tours are cancelled for 2020.[emoticon]

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's wrong with the free NP buses? They leave from both Apgar and St Mary's and meet at Logan Pass. There are numerous stops along the way.

ryoung

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Going to the Sun Road from the west has the length restriction due to the road being narrow, curvy and rock overhangs onto the roadway. I chose not to chance it.

However the road going up to the Sun Mtn from the east, St Mary, is very good.

It's about 100 miles from West Glacier to St Mary. I took that route since I was traveling from west to east anyway.

ryoung

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dropping Camper at KOA campground?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.